U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-09-2012, 12:32 AM
 
Location: Chandler, AZ
5,801 posts, read 5,583,830 times
Reputation: 3119

Advertisements

My 2007 Hyundai Elantra has 56K miles on it, and shimmies on the freeway over 60 MPH, which tells me that it'stime for an alignment before I wear out the tires on the front end.

Can someone explain the diference between, a two-wheel vs. a 4-wheel alignment, which you'd recommend, and what I should expect to pay for it here in Los Angeles?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-09-2012, 06:04 AM
 
Location: Keosauqua, Iowa
9,215 posts, read 17,166,825 times
Reputation: 12436
It's pretty much what it sounds like. With a front-wheel alignment the adjust the two front wheels so that they both point in the same direction. With a four-wheel alignment they also adjust the back wheels to be true with the front wheels when they are pointed straight ahead. Some cars can't be aligned this way, but most today can.

If you're using a shop that you trust, I'd go with their recommendation. No idea what the cost would be in your area, sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2012, 08:15 AM
 
Location: Central Jersey - Florida
3,352 posts, read 12,841,394 times
Reputation: 2149
Just because you have a shimmy @60, don't mean you necessarily need a front end alignment. If you need to put front end parts in, then you'll definitely need an alignment. May be something as simple as an unbalanced wheel. Get some recommendations for a local front end shop or have a mechanic look at it. Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2012, 10:43 AM
 
Location: Vallejo
14,715 posts, read 16,718,307 times
Reputation: 13328
Or it might be tires. I have minor cupping in my tires due to the negative camber the Mazda runs, so i get a rumble/shimmy effect. It's happened with both the OEM and the tires I have on it now. It was fairly minor on the OEM tires and much more pronounced with the tires I have now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2012, 01:07 PM
 
Location: Central Jersey - Florida
3,352 posts, read 12,841,394 times
Reputation: 2149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Or it might be tires. I have minor cupping in my tires due to the negative camber the Mazda runs, so i get a rumble/shimmy effect. It's happened with both the OEM and the tires I have on it now. It was fairly minor on the OEM tires and much more pronounced with the tires I have now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2012, 01:08 PM
 
Location: Central Jersey - Florida
3,352 posts, read 12,841,394 times
Reputation: 2149
Or if your in Alabama, you might have "MUD IN YOUR TIRES"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2012, 03:03 PM
 
1,315 posts, read 3,035,288 times
Reputation: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
My 2007 Hyundai Elantra has 56K miles on it, and shimmies on the freeway over 60 MPH, which tells me that it'stime for an alignment before I wear out the tires on the front end.

Can someone explain the diference between, a two-wheel vs. a 4-wheel alignment, which you'd recommend, and what I should expect to pay for it here in Los Angeles?

Thanks!
Get your wheels balanced. If that doesn't work, try the wheel alignment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2012, 03:38 PM
 
Location: Central Jersey - Florida
3,352 posts, read 12,841,394 times
Reputation: 2149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
Get your wheels balanced. If that doesn't work, try the wheel alignment.
So your saying if it's not a wheel balance problem it can't be anything else other than alignment???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2012, 04:02 PM
 
14,781 posts, read 36,752,160 times
Reputation: 14410
As others said, it's not a slam dunk that you need an alignment to correct the shimmy. Odd wear or cupping on the tires can cause it as can improper balancing of the tires. If it's a tire balance issue, they can fix it. If it's a tire wear issue, then you can align it all you want and you won't fix the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2012, 05:26 PM
 
14,933 posts, read 18,077,835 times
Reputation: 19716
Quote:
Originally Posted by exhdo1 View Post
So your saying if it's not a wheel balance problem it can't be anything else other than alignment???
No, it could also be due to badly-worn ball joints or bad tie rod ends.
Yes, it would be very unusual to have these problems at such low odometer mileage, but it is possible, particularly if you commonly drive on roads that are in bad condition.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
As others said, it's not a slam dunk that you need an alignment to correct the shimmy. Odd wear or cupping on the tires can cause it as can improper balancing of the tires. If it's a tire balance issue, they can fix it. If it's a tire wear issue, then you can align it all you want and you won't fix the problem.
Once tires have a bad wear pattern on them (due to bad balance, or to bad alignment, or to worn suspension/steering components), that wear pattern is there to stay. So, even if you fix the underlying problem, the symptoms will likely not go away unless you replace any badly-worn tires.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top