Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 05:18 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,610,392 times

Advertisements

A remote starter would possibly be your answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 07:36 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
A remote starter would possibly be your answer.
Eats gas for a warmup. Best to use an engine block heater.

Old 08-19-2012, 08:24 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
Because when it get's below -30f* it is easier on the engine, starter & battery,
being from MN you should know this stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
May I ask why you think you need this? I live in Minnesota and wouldn't even think of needing an engine heater. New cars start so much better than they did 20 years ago.
Using a block heater in freezing winter temperatures can improve the fuel economy of your vehicle by 10 percent of more.
A block heater warms the coolant, which warms the engine block and lubricants. The engine will then start easily and reach peak operating conditions more quickly.
You don't need to leave the block heater plugged in overnight. It only takes two hours at most to warm the engine. For convenience, consider using an automatic outlet timer to switch the block heater on an hour or two before you need to start your vehicle.

Old 08-20-2012, 05:36 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snofarmer View Post
It only takes two hours at most to warm the engine. For convenience, consider using an automatic outlet timer to switch the block heater on an hour or two before you need to start your vehicle.
Ah, there's the answer. I was trying to work through in my head which was more energy/$ if you had that kind of draw plugged in overnight. When you get it down to a couple hours, that way starts to sound better.

Still, there might be some cases where a remote starter would be simpler or make more sense overall, even if it is cold enough to put a real strain on the engine. I'm not sure I would drape an extension cord out to my car parked on the street, for example, assuming there is a sidewalk, etc. That seems like asking for trouble.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:08 AM

25,842 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCAS007 View Post
I need the windows defrosted and the cabin a bit warmer so I can start right away very early in the morning or night.
I would go with the remote start as someone suggested previously. The only vehicles I see plugged in around here-(and we drop to as low as 20 degrees below zero in the winter) are diesels.

No cords to fool with and complete security-the car won't move unless the key is in the ignition and the doors are locked.

Old 08-20-2012, 07:49 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
When it get cold around my neck of the woods you will see extension cords run across the street.
But what are they going to do. (alternate side parking)

doesn't look at that safe to me but uit is done all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg42 View Post
I'm not sure I would drape an extension cord out to my car parked on the street, for example, assuming there is a sidewalk, etc. That seems like asking for trouble.

Maybe not in southern mn......
Around hear you don't see many diesels.
What you do see are cars that use gasoline plunged in when the temp drops below 10F*.
The temps around here can be much lower than -20F*

A remote starter does you no good if the car will not start.
Now you have a worn down or dead battery and a cold engine on a cold morning
Not a good combination.

A warm engine will be easy for the old , depleted or half frozen battery to start with your remote starter and remember as it gets colder your battery puts out less AMPS.

I don't see a remote starter as a replacement for plugging it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I would go with the remote start as someone suggested previously. The only vehicles I see plugged in around here-(and we drop to as low as 20 degrees below zero in the winter) are diesels.

No cords to fool with and complete security-the car won't move unless the key is in the ignition and the doors are locked.

Old 08-20-2012, 10:46 AM

25,842 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
When it get cold around my neck of the woods you will see extension cords run across the street.
But what are they going to do. (alternate side parking)

doesn't look at that safe to me but uit is done all the time.

Maybe not in southern mn......
Around hear you don't see many diesels.
What you do see are cars that use gasoline plunged in when the temp drops below 10F*.
The temps around here can be much lower than -20F*

A remote starter does you no good if the car will not start.
Now you have a worn down or dead battery and a cold engine on a cold morning
Not a good combination.

A warm engine will be easy for the old , depleted or half frozen battery to start with your remote starter and remember as it gets colder your battery puts out less AMPS.

I think if your car is going to be sitting out for days at a time in those conditions you are right. But a car that is driven daily, should not have a problem starting in the cold. If you have a good battery and synthetic oil it should not even be an issue to think about.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Well no, not where you are, but that is an extreme example as I'm sure you know. Around here a plug in block heater would be rather rare even though we do sometimes get days and weeks below freezing. Below 0 degrees F is rare though.

OP is in Utah (it says in the profile at least). I don't think of that as below 0 territory either but definitely more snow than some other places.

They both have their uses for sure. It just seems like in more moderate conditions it wouldn't necessarily be wrong to consider the starter instead of the heater.

I prefer the garage myself.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:41 PM

600 posts, read 1,933,213 times
I really only need a warm cabin and defrosted windows as is need to leave immediate early in the morning or night.

What is the best solution?

I think engine heaters don't defrost the windows or do they?

Old 08-20-2012, 07:23 PM

Seems like the starter would be better at getting the windows defrosted before you go, assuming you can leave accessories on and have them work when the car starts remotely. BUT you have to be able to start it around 10 minutes (at least!) before you leave AND you have to leave it set so that the defroster will already be running when you start; in other words, when you park it the previous time you must set the defroster full blast, and it must actually be capable of remaining in that setting and then having that come on when started remotely. I know if it were me that is where I would get tripped up, remembering to set the damn thing. But if you can do that consistently then the starter could potentially have some of your windows clear before you drive off. The engine heater can't do that. If you don't remember to set the defrost, they'll be about equivalent. You'd get heat right away and clear windows pretty quickly but not instantly. If you can't start the car 10 minutes before you leave, then the heater would be better because you just go out, unplug and go. But you windows wouldn't be clear, you'd just already have heat. It's still going to take a few minutes to get clear windows

One thing you probably won't be able to automate is the rear defroster. This is an Expedition so getting the entire cabin warm is going to take longer than some vehicles. Most rear defrosters are timer switches that reset when you turn off the juice, so when you do the remote start they wouldn't come back on. You might be able to hack that with a different switch so that it comes on.

I had a Buick as a rental that had built-in remote start. You could program it to do various things when you started it, like kick on the seat warmers. Nice. But this type of customization won't be available with aftermarket remote start that I know of.

Nothing is a surefire cure except a garage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive