Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2012, 12:32 PM

9,131 posts, read 20,006,903 times

Advertisements

I recently bought a new Subaru Outback, trading in my Volvo C30. (I needed more space, and towing ability, but otherwise was happy with my Volvo).

The dealer I traded it into gave me a call the other day, asking for a luggage compartment mat and cargo cover because they had a buyer for the car who wanted these things. Never had that happen to me before. I don't have them because they were not standard on the car, nor did I ever buy them.

Even if I had them, I would likely be trying to sell them on ebay or craigslist before handing them over to the dealer for nothing. The negotiated price on the car didn't have them included.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2012, 12:43 PM

1,617 posts, read 5,673,758 times
Meh...

Looks like the salesperson is just trying to help out his customer and called you on the chance you had these things stashed in your garage or someplace.

You don't and never did, and you told them that, so that's pretty much the end of it.

Old 08-22-2012, 01:23 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegonagle View Post
Meh...

Looks like the salesperson is just trying to help out his customer and called you on the chance you had these things stashed in your garage or someplace.

You don't and never did, and you told them that, so that's pretty much the end of it.
This. The person who is buying the car wants those items and either they or the salesman may be under the impression they were standard. You are under no obligation to give them anything even if you had it because they purchased the car from you in "as-is" condition at the time of sale.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:50 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,681,102 times
You may be "under no obligation" to supply those things even if you have them, but the dealer is "under no obligation" not to call you to find out if you might just happen to have whatever it is they are looking for.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:39 AM

9,912 posts, read 24,652,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I recently bought a new Subaru Outback, trading in my Volvo C30. (I needed more space, and towing ability, but otherwise was happy with my Volvo).

The dealer I traded it into gave me a call the other day, asking for a luggage compartment mat and cargo cover because they had a buyer for the car who wanted these things. Never had that happen to me before. I don't have them because they were not standard on the car, nor did I ever buy them.

Even if I had them, I would likely be trying to sell them on ebay or craigslist before handing them over to the dealer for nothing. The negotiated price on the car didn't have them included.
They were just hoping for an easy and cheap source I'll bet. It isn't necessarily that they would expect you to hand them over for nothing either. I mean, the deal was done and if it happened that you did have them stashed in the garage or whatever, then you would still be under no obligation to hand them over but could negotiate a price where they could buy them. Then it would be up to the dealer whether they tell you to take a hike or buy them at whatever price you suggest.

They're just trying to make a sale is all. Buyer will probably want lower price without them and they thought it might be a cheap way to get a few hundred bucks for free or even for $50 or whatever you might sell them for. Now the buyer or dealer will have to go hunting for them from another source, or they'll have to wait for another buyer.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:03 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
I've never had it happen, but I agree with the others. Sounds like a "doesn't hurt to ask" deal.

Old 08-23-2012, 06:24 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
You should certainly include them with the car if you had them but if you never bought them as an option then too bad for the salesperson and purchaser. I waslooking at used hatchbacks and some have cargo covers that I would want inclued with the car. If not, I'd want a little less for my trouble of having to buy one used off Ebay or a junk yard.
I have a trunk mat that I might keep if I sold my car. I bought it from a store. But if it didn't fit another car, it would just clutter up the garage. Same thing with the floormats in the car. Let them have them if you have no use for them.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:43 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Simply tell them you don't have them. Not a big deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive