Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2012, 03:01 AM

654 posts, read 3,455,726 times

Advertisements

On my '87 Pontiac 6000 wagon currently rolling at 201K miles, a section of the steel fuel line that curves into the fuel filter is rusted pretty badly, as well as the return line.

Having done some research, though nylon fuel line is common in modern cars, its not recommended to use with steel lines, so i am planning to replace them with steel line since the engine is MPFI which uses higher fuel pressure.

The steel lines running to/from the fuel rail are still in good condition so no need to change that out. That section is good up to the two fuel hoses before connecting to the steel section that runs underneath the car. So that may save me some work on line replacement.

I am going to replace the tank, sending unit and fuel pump as well as the fuel filter, so that my fuel system can be top notch. My undercarriage isn't as bad rust-wise which is a good thing. Labor Day weekend will be perfect to get this job done since I will have a 3-day weekend.

My question is, once i remove the old line, would I be able to form and bend the new line to match the original one as close as possible? It shouldn't be too difficult; has anyone ever formed their own fuel line from the OEM? I know a good tube bender tool will be needed and the double-flare tool for the connections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 05:11 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
You can fabricate the new line to follow as closely as possible to the original ... and either splice it in with flare unions or consider using compression unions. Since it's steel line, it's easier, IMO, to use the compression fittings than to flare the tubing.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:47 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Another option is to get some pre-formed lines made up by one of the outfits in Hemmings, if you are not keen to fab it yourself.

You *might* find a good set of lines in a boneyard. Might.

Have you checked with a GM dealer? The part may be available over the counter.

Old 08-21-2012, 07:13 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,341,511 times
I've made steel fuel lines for my Ford tractors all the time. You can't tell them from OEM. Here's the tool I use. It's a Lisle model 44000 I think:

Last edited by High_Plains_Retired; 12-20-2013 at 03:47 PM..

Old 08-22-2012, 03:01 AM

654 posts, read 3,455,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Another option is to get some pre-formed lines made up by one of the outfits in Hemmings, if you are not keen to fab it yourself.

You *might* find a good set of lines in a boneyard. Might.

Have you checked with a GM dealer? The part may be available over the counter.
For a 25 year old car, I wouldn't bet on it. Thought about the JY, but A-body cars are difficult to find nowadays, and that isn't rusted out. Haven't heard of Hemmings though, I'll check it out. I got some spare tubing that I can practice with but fortunately, the line from the front wheel well to the back isn't that difficult to form so even if its not exactly like the original, it will be close enough. Plus it gives me something new to learn. Thanks for the input!

Old 08-22-2012, 08:18 PM

51 posts, read 149,842 times
Just BEND IT with your HANDS - no need for a 'tool' - the lines bend very easily - just do your best and DONE..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive