Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 11:01 AM
C8N

1,119 posts, read 3,225,391 times

Advertisements

I wish i had the technical know how to fix up cars and I certain do not think you are a moron. Far from it.
If i had the space, equipment and the know how... i would probably do the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 11:11 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,367,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Oh, and I done this same thing to over 12 cars in the last 30 years.

Someone tell me to not be a moron and just buy a new car or truck. What I do must be a mental problem.
Naaaahhhhh... What you're doing is both good for the pocketbook, and good for the soul.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:18 AM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,341,708 times
Quote:
I'll add a little to my OP.

I'm retired, so the time is not an issue.

What I do really enjoy is driving old car/truck that is running perfect (this is the reason I do this kinda stuff).
In that case I would have done the same thing. I like to turn wrenches, but in my current situation I'd trade up. I don't have the time and I like new(er) cars.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:37 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
In addition to all of this stuff I recommend dropping the oil pan and checking bearing clearances in a center main and nearby rod bearing with some "plasti gauge" or something similar. Only remove the pistons if a bore is heavily scored but not just scratched by the rings. You can then take a green kitchen sponge with the cleaning mesh to create a new oil surface on the cylinders. This is optional. Then replace the end seals (does GM still use graphite rope?) and the pan gasket and button it up.

If I had the time I would have never given my '82 Toyota Corolla sedan away.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:59 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,820,716 times
Quote:
I'm currently working on my 200 thousand mile 98 Sonoma. I have the entire vehicle in pieces. It started when the 4.3 started leaking antifreeze from the intake manifold gasket. I got the intake manifold off and thought this would be a good time to replace the heater core, so I took the seats out and then the dash and then the heater box and then while I'm there I'll fix one of the heater valves that had stopped working years ago.

Now back to the engine, now that I have the heads off, I'll check all the valves and springs and then grind the valve seats. By the way all the parts that are coming off I'm glass beading and repainting. Then I thought. before I put it back together I'll replace the timing chain, and now that I have the timing chain off maybe I should put new rings and mains in and replace the starter and oil pump.

While I'm doing everything else I'm inspecting all the wiring and replacing sections where the insulation has burned off or was just cracking.

Anyway, a job that should have taken the weekend is now 3 weeks in and will probably take another 3 weeks. When I'm done the truck should have another trouble free 100 thousand miles.

Oh, and I done this same thing to over 12 cars in the last 30 years.

Someone tell me to not be a moron and just buy a new car or truck. What I do must be a mental problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
smart man! If you have the time, and the skills. There is no reason not to do ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
The moron is the one who buys new when they have small mechanical problems.

I would suggest that you leave the bottom end of the engine alone, though, it probably does not need rings and bearings if you have kept it in good tune and with decent oil.

Something I would think about though, I would take a hard look at the exhaust valves, maybe replace them rather than grind them. I don't know that much about Hyundai engines, maybe they have good hard exhaust valves like Japanese and Euro cars do.
what these guys said. as long as the vehicle has value to you, then keeping it going is always worthwhile, whether you do the job yourself or pay someone to do it for you. too many people decide that just because their old car needs a new engine they dump it for a new car complete with a set of car payments for the next 60-84 months or so. and by the time they had paid off the car, they usually have put enough miles on it to require more work, so they start the cycle all over again.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:12 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
Real mechanics have a plan BEFORE they start unbolting every bolt they have wrenches that fit. You somehow dont SOUND like a real mechanic. I think you are giving us BS

Old 08-25-2012, 11:22 AM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Real mechanics have a plan BEFORE they start unbolting every bolt they have wrenches that fit. You somehow dont SOUND like a real mechanic. I think you are giving us BS
Describe what a real mechanic is????

Old 08-25-2012, 11:40 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
[quote=Garthur;25800993]Describe what a real mechanic is????[/QUOTE l Let explain it better.." We have 2 types of mechanics in this world. We have those that fix things and then we have people that just make a mess" which are you?

Old 08-25-2012, 12:20 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,257,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Quote:
Describe what a real mechanic is????
Let explain it better.." We have 2 types of mechanics in this world. We have those that fix things and then we have people that just make a mess" which are you?
Sounds to me like Garthur is fixing several things. There's nothing in the original post to indicate that he's going to have any trouble putting things back together, it's just taking more time than he anticipated because he's decided to fix a few other things before he bolts it all back together and calls it good. Is he making a mess in the process? Sure he is. What does that have to do with anything?

I see nothing wrong with this behavior and tend to do the same thing myself.

Old 08-25-2012, 12:40 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,318,562 times
[quote=crestliner;25801233]
Quote:
Describe what a real mechanic is????[/QUOTE l Let explain it better.." We have 2 types of mechanics in this world. We have those that fix things and then we have people that just make a mess" which are you?
I'm the type that rebuilds vehicles from the ground up. You have to define "mess" because yes I take everything apart and inspect each part and then replace suspect bad parts or parts that I expect to go bad. I have never failed to complete a job and end up with an excellent ride.

Your posts seam very defensive so I will make the assumption that you are in mechanics school or just getting out or have just started a job as a professional mechanic. A seasoned mechanic would never make the comments you did in your posts.

So if what you mean to say is that a real mechanic is a professional mechanic? I just had one of my cars to a professional mechanic that made a mess of it and I had to finish what he worked on. Or do you mean like the professional mechanic that replaced a fuel pump in one of my trucks and then said to come pick it up and when I got there it would not run. I told him to find out what was wrong and after 2 days he called me and said that it was just the wiring loom and that it was grounding out because of defective insulation to the fuel pump but I still had to pay for the fuel pump. Or do you mean the professional mechanic(s) that replaced all the injectors and then they said it was ready and I went to pick it up and the check engine light came on, I took it back 3 times before one of the 3 mechanics that worked on it could find the problem. BTW all of the mechanic were certified and worked at new car dealerships.

I will not continue with all the stories I have about pros. All the new mechanics hook up the computer and then just shotgun the problem. Old school mechanics, as an example if an alternator is bad they just don't replace the alternator, they take the alternator apart and replace the diodes, or the regulator or the bearings.

Sorry for being a little wordy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive