Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 02:14 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,026,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
The Verano is a compact (barely) and occupies the entry-level space in price and features. It's a response to the growing popularity of premium compacts. The Regal and LaCrosse are both midsize and based on the same platform, but have different targets. The Regal is a little smaller then the LaCrosse and designed to be a little more "sporty" as evidenced by the range of turbo engines, manual transmissions, etc. that are available. The LaCrosse is currently the biggest and though it's midsized, it has a lot of passenger volume. It's designed as an alternative to a Lexus ES and is more classical Buick in terms of ride and handling. They are now introducing the Encore which is based on a similar platform to the Sonic, so they will have an even smaller "car" then the Verano this year.

It seems the current strategy is to basically place Buick as the "top trim" for the Chevy and GMC line, which is not too dissimilar from how Ford is currently treating Lincoln. They offer more premium materials, features, content and styling. The only thing they are really missing now in that pantheon is an Equinox sized/based CUV:

Sonic...................Encore
Cruze...................Verano
Malibu..................Regal
Impala..................LaCrosse
Traverse...Acadia...Enclave
Equinox....Terrain....???

So, it makes sense with Chevy rolling out the SS that we would see a return of a fullsize RWD Buick. The next Camaro redesign also leaves room for maybe a modern Riviera (not so far-fetched as they had a Riviera concept in 2007 that set the current styling direction).

Chevy SS......Park Avenue? Century?
Camaro.........Riviera? Skylark?
Thanks, I guess my refusal to accept the LaCrosse as a full-size is more because it replaced the Regal/Century in 2005 and those were firmly mid-size cars. They had the Lucerne as full-size carrying on from the old LeSabre/Park Avenue till 2011. Then they dropped the Lucerne and all of a sudden started calling the LaCrosse as a full-size car. At least Ford when they re-introduced the Taurus as full-size replaced the Crown Vic. with it and have Fusion as mid-size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 03:26 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
Thanks, I guess my refusal to accept the LaCrosse as a full-size is more because it replaced the Regal/Century in 2005 and those were firmly mid-size cars. They had the Lucerne as full-size carrying on from the old LeSabre/Park Avenue till 2011. Then they dropped the Lucerne and all of a sudden started calling the LaCrosse as a full-size car.
You can refuse to accept it all you want, but in 2010 the LAcrosse was redeisgned into a much larger car that exceeds the Lucerne in every metric. IT is Buicks flagship for the forseeable future. There won't be anything bigger or better in the lineup.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:56 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,026,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
You can refuse to accept it all you want, but in 2010 the LAcrosse was redeisgned into a much larger car that exceeds the Lucerne in every metric. IT is Buicks flagship for the forseeable future. There won't be anything bigger or better in the lineup.
Every metric ?

Length Lucerne: 203.2" LaCrosse: 196.9"
Wheelbase Lucerne: 115.6" LaCrosse: 111.7"

Maybe it is their flagship car, but I don't think a car with a 4-cylinder optional is a full-sizer. Perhaps you think the Lexus ES is a full-size car too?

Last edited by asubram3; 08-24-2012 at 04:09 PM..

Old 08-24-2012, 07:42 PM

96 posts, read 101,117 times
Quote:
Every metric ?

Maybe it is their flagship car, but I don't think a car with a 4-cylinder optional is a full-sizer. Perhaps you think the Lexus ES is a full-size car too?
Buick Lacrose comes with the option of a 3.6L 303 HP DI VVT engine. I have an 09 and its the best vehicle I have owned, same year Buick beat out Lexus in dependability/reliability. To be honest I would pass on a 2010-2012 Lacrosse given the chance to own one. Buick still haven't smoothed out the issues with their new 6 speed automatic transmissions which has cost them in reliability ratings. As another member stated the Lacrosse is roomier than the Lucerne so outside dimensions don't really mean squat.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:43 PM

96 posts, read 101,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Two completely different market segments.

Cadillac is attempting to reestablish itself as the "Standard of the World" competing with BMW/Mercedes/Lexus.
Yep, and Cadillac is more reliable than most European brands...

Old 08-27-2012, 03:45 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,769,587 times
Quote:
Every metric ?

I don't think a couple of measurements are the full story. We can be specious and trite and point out that the Lacrosse is available with a 4cyl, but that's not telling the whole story as it is a mild hybrid and not just a conventional 4. In some parts of the world you can get a Mercedes S-class with a 4-cyl (diesel). Does that no longer make it a full-sizer?

Some measurements aside, the Lacrosse exceeds the Lucerne in technology, value, luxury, handling, performance. That is what I meant by every metric, not just literally each and every dimension. The EPA may say it is a midsize car, but it is and will be the biggest most expensive car in Buick's lineup. The Lucerne ain't coming back.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,880 times
Default GM Fullsize cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Cadillac has been pretty adamant that the XTS is not the flagship. At some point, we'll see something that isn't a fancied up Taurus/Avalon coming out of them, not to belittle the XTS as it's a fine car, just not flagship material. I really don't think you'll be seeing anything remotely like that from Buick. The XTS is basically a Buick with just that bit more of an air of luxury.
This is the list of GM cars I would suggest be on the market as follows:

Buick Park Avenue-this Zeta-based car is currently in the Chinese market and Buick is an American brand. If Buick sells this car in China it needs to be sold in the US. No buts ands or ifs. Buick belongs to America not the Chinese.

Chevrolet Caprice-I am so glad to see that the US is selling this model as a PPV and that dealers are choosing to sell to the public.

Cadillac ZTS-we need all GM companies to sell the Zeta-based fullsizers in the US. No more of this sell it in China crap and abandon this US. How stupid??

Old 11-14-2012, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,880 times
Here is the setup for all the GM car catagories:

Buick Park Avenue........Chevrolet Caprice........Cadillac ZTS
Buick LaCrosse............Chevrolet Impala..........Cadillac XTS
Buick Regal.................Chevrolet Malibu..........Cadillac CTS
Buick Verano...............Chevrolet Cruze...........Cadillac ATS

Old 11-14-2012, 09:41 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,225,957 times
Yeah, that new Buick Park Avenue is a much larger car than the LaCrosse... too bad its only sold in China. Seems strange that Buick would offer a larger car in China than America.

Here are the Buicks I love... this is a pic taken way back in 2002 of my 1972 Buick Electra 225 4dr -

This car had a big 455 and ran like a champ! Never any problems. I sold it (regret it) shortly after this for $1800 to a guy in Rock Hill, SC. I would love to have it back! All it needed was paint on the hood/trunk... (we still live here and it sure looks different now where this car is setting. lol).

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick, and GMC