U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 06:32 PM

1,536 posts, read 1,440,636 times
Default Buick sedan lineup

I am confused about Buick's sedan lineup of the present. They have the Verano as a compact, sharing platform with the Cruze. But what about the Regal and the LaCrosse? Aren't they both mid-size cars? They both share the Epsilon II platform with the Malibu. So why the product overlap? I have seen people mention the LaCrosse as a full-size car, but how can that be? The LaCrosse replaced the Century and Regal (both W-body) in 2005, and was itself a W-body for its first generation.

So does anyone know if Buick is planned to get a real full-sizer to replace the Lucerne any time soon? Maybe a derivative of the XTS?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 09:07 PM

14,755 posts, read 14,152,219 times
I don't ever see Buick returning to RWD. Also, I think their current line-up is dismal and am sorry that Pontiac had to be axed. The LaCrosse, the Regal and the Verano look virtually indistinguishable. I think that, in certain guises, the LaCrosse can get too expensive for what it is. My only regret is that Buick never came back with a newfangled (not retro) version of the Riviera coupe (FWD or RWD, I'm undecided) but market research holds that buyers will not embrace a specialty personal luxury coupe. Sitting in a Lucerne is not the greatest experience. The driver feels somewhat scaleless in the driver's seat, and the rear pillars are way too bulky. I've come to view the Lucerne as awkward.

The world has changed. The mid-sized opera-windowed GM mid-size coupe was the standard for smaller families, retired couples, business people and others who could think for themselves when I was growing up. While new cars have gotten more reliable, and have way more solid-state garbage on them than I care for, they certainly lack the personality of yesteryear's cars.

The places cars are going scares me. I saw a picture of the next-gen Impala yesterday. It features exaggerated styling that is not appropriate for the flagship sedan for GM's bread and butter line. Ditto for Ford. Instead of fine-tuning the looks of their rightfully successful Fusion, they are mucking them up.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:10 PM

14,097 posts, read 13,692,803 times
Though they share the same platform, the Verano looks nothing like the Cruze and doers Verano uses larger more powerful engines. The Regal is suppose to be the midsize sedan as it's sharing size and platform with the new Malibu. Though both the Regal and Lacross are built on the Epsilon II platform, they're different sizes. The Lacross is their full size sedan and will share the same size and platform with the Chevrolet Impala and Cadillac XTS.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:34 PM

2,946 posts, read 4,457,652 times
Buick should be killed off. Go buy a Cadillac if you want an American luxury sedan.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:46 PM

4,487 posts, read 9,799,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Buick should be killed off. Go buy a Cadillac if you want an American luxury sedan.
Two completely different market segments.

Cadillac is attempting to reestablish itself as the "Standard of the World" competing with BMW/Mercedes/Lexus.

Buick is going after those who are buying small and midsized sedans with a touch of luxury. The current Buick lineup is selling quite well in this economy especially compared to the competition, there's no reason it should be killed off what-so-ever. It irks me when people say GMC should be killed off or Buick should be killed off...you obviously don't know how well these brands are selling nor the profitability of the brands. 5 years ago I wouldn't have considered buying a Buick but if I were in the market for a midsized sedan with some luxury amenities and without the Cadillac price tag, I'd probably go straight to either the Lacrosse or Regal. Very nice vehicles for the price.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:20 PM

7,374 posts, read 4,570,899 times
Cadillac has been pretty adamant that the XTS is not the flagship. At some point, we'll see something that isn't a fancied up Taurus/Avalon coming out of them, not to belittle the XTS as it's a fine car, just not flagship material. I really don't think you'll be seeing anything remotely like that from Buick. The XTS is basically a Buick with just that bit more of an air of luxury.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:17 PM

4,919 posts, read 3,439,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asubram3 View Post
I am confused about Buick's sedan lineup of the present. They have the Verano as a compact, sharing platform with the Cruze. But what about the Regal and the LaCrosse? Aren't they both mid-size cars?
Lacrosse is bigger then Regal which is slightly bigger then Verano.

Quote:
They both share the Epsilon II platform with the Malibu. So why the product overlap?
Because Regal and Lacrosse have different mention statements and occupy different markets.

Quote:
I have seen people mention the LaCrosse as a full-size car, but how can that be?
Because it is?

Quote:
The LaCrosse replaced the Century and Regal (both W-body) in 2005, and was itself a W-body for its first generation.
K.

Quote:
So does anyone know if Buick is planned to get a real full-sizer to replace the Lucerne any time soon? Maybe a derivative of the XTS?
Lacrosse has more interior room then Lucerne. The XTS is built on the Lacrosse platform.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:10 PM

13,569 posts, read 15,937,425 times
The Verano is a compact (barely) and occupies the entry-level space in price and features. It's a response to the growing popularity of premium compacts. The Regal and LaCrosse are both midsize and based on the same platform, but have different targets. The Regal is a little smaller then the LaCrosse and designed to be a little more "sporty" as evidenced by the range of turbo engines, manual transmissions, etc. that are available. The LaCrosse is currently the biggest and though it's midsized, it has a lot of passenger volume. It's designed as an alternative to a Lexus ES and is more classical Buick in terms of ride and handling. They are now introducing the Encore which is based on a similar platform to the Sonic, so they will have an even smaller "car" then the Verano this year.

I doubt we will see a XTS derivative as a fullsize Buick. The cost of such a car would pretty much have to be in near XTS territory, so they would very much undermine each other. If Buick gets a fullsize car I would expect it to be based on the upcoming Chevy SS RWD platform. The Buick flagship in China is already riding on that basis, so it becomes a matter of seeing what the market potential is. Of course the risk there is a fullsize RWD Buick would probably directly compete price wise with a Cadillac CTS.

It seems the current strategy is to basically place Buick as the "top trim" for the Chevy and GMC line, which is not too dissimilar from how Ford is currently treating Lincoln. They offer more premium materials, features, content and styling. The only thing they are really missing now in that pantheon is an Equinox sized/based CUV:

Sonic...................Encore
Cruze...................Verano
Malibu..................Regal
Impala..................LaCrosse
Traverse...Acadia...Enclave
Equinox....Terrain....???

So, it makes sense with Chevy rolling out the SS that we would see a return of a fullsize RWD Buick. The next Camaro redesign also leaves room for maybe a modern Riviera (not so far-fetched as they had a Riviera concept in 2007 that set the current styling direction).

Chevy SS......Park Avenue? Century?
Camaro.........Riviera? Skylark?

When you look at it that way, you realize that the brand setup is to distance Cadillac as a true luxury brand that is independent of the other marques. They can then keep Buick as the premium versions of the mainstream brand similar to how Lincoln is currently positioned as well as Acura. The difference between Buick and those brands is that Buick isn't pretending it's actually a luxury brand because Cadillac fills that role.

Old 08-24-2012, 01:22 PM

7,374 posts, read 4,570,899 times
The XTS is an Impala/LaCrosse. It's a big step up from the LaCrosse on the interior. I haven't actually driven any of them, but a very much doubt it drives all that much better. I'd save the money and get the Impala. The old Impala was quite an awful car, but GM's new models have impressed me. The LaCrosse is still riding around on the old chassis, not the new Super Epsilon. Supposedly, the Lucerne was going to make a return in 2012/2013 on the Super Epsilon which seems doubtful. The LaCrosse is getting a refresh for 2013, so I'd guess it will be 2015 before it's riding on the new Impala/XTS chassis. Rumor mill also has it that 2014 may see a Zeta-based flagship. They wouldn't need to do all that much, the Caprice is already here even though they refuse to sell it to the public. It doesn't really even have to be all that good of a product. The only other RWD American Sedans are the Charger/300... I doubt many people are cross shopping Dodge/Chrsyler and Buick. Most people my age are firmly entrenched in Buicks being the exclusive province of geriatric snowbirds migrating to Florida. And I don't see too many geriatric snowbirds in Chargers/300s. I mean, the Town Car moved quite a lot of cars and it was an antiquated junk pile... sturdy, but antiquated junk pile none the less.

Last edited by Malloric; 08-24-2012 at 01:41 PM..

Old 08-24-2012, 01:44 PM

3,317 posts, read 2,858,532 times
[quote=robertpolyglot;25780353]II think that, in certain guises, the LaCrosse can get too expensive for what it is. /quote]

Exactly, the Regal seems to be a much better buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive