Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2012, 06:52 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,034,017 times

Advertisements

Yup, that sounds about right:
The 10 U.S. cities with the worst drivers tilt towards the coasts | Motoramic - Yahoo! Autos

P.S. To the person on another thread that insisted *I* was the reason I was hit while I was sitting at a red light when two other cars hit each other then slid into me where I was stopped, well, you should really be eating your words now with your morning cereal. I'm sure you'll return here, too, to debate this thread. Such is life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 07:50 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Funny, I woudl have put the top five as Boston Boston Boston DC and Chicago However only DC even made the list.

BUt this is based on accidents. It is worst drivers or worst driving conditions?

Old 08-30-2012, 08:03 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Funny, I woudl have put the top five as Boston Boston Boston DC and Chicago However only DC even made the list.

BUt this is based on accidents. It is worst drivers or worst driving conditions?
The criteria is accidents so it's a leap to say "worst drivers" as general road design, congestion etc. all play into the equation.

I'm not shocked that it's the coasts given that you have:
1) Lots of cars and congestion.
2) A higher number of foreign drivers which aren't highly experienced.
3) In some areas you have transitional weather and some people are new to snow\ice etc.
4) General aggressive attitudes towards driving brought on by #1 and #2 as well as just regional attitudes.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:34 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,447,891 times
The title of the article is " The 10 U.S. cities with the worst drivers tilt towards the coasts."

I would think that no one would be surprised, as only 17% of the contiguous land in the US is coastal, and 50% of the population lives there.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:59 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
General attitude of "I don't give a ****" is how B-more made this list.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
General attitude of "I don't give a ****" is how B-more made this list.
AHAHA Yup, that sounds about right. Very literally *every* single day in the middle of evening rush hour traffic there is at least one, if not more, bright light bulbs making a U-turn in the middle of a very high traffic wide-laned road over a double yellow as traffic is moving heavily both directions (while pedestrians are j-walking into traffic to cross a 4 to sometimes 6 lane road). Honestly. Who on earth thinks that's a good idea except the fine citizens of Baltimore City? lol

Oh, and during morning rush hour we have winner-winner-chicken-dinner #10,853 that decides that going straight in a turn-only lane won't cause an accident, yet at least once a week there's an accident at that intersection because ding-dong #8 within 3 minutes wasn't so lucky to make it without getting hit.

And all I can do is sit at the red light and pray that when they smack something whatever they hit doesn't end up hitting me (luckily, only three times it has).

Sheesh. One of the few things I WON'T miss about the Mid-Atlantic is the rotten city drivers.

Luckily, the county is much better. Unfortunately, I sold my home in the county and am living in the city at the moment. :|

Old 08-30-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:

I would have actually put the list at:

1. Miami (Hialeah, FL, which made the article's list as #4, is in Miami Co.)
2. Baltimore City
3. DC downtown

I don't recall ever driving in Providence, RI (the article's #3), but other than that, my top 3 matched the list, just in a different order.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:49 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyTXsmile View Post
Yup, that sounds about right:
The 10 U.S. cities with the worst drivers tilt towards the coasts | Motoramic - Yahoo! Autos

P.S. To the person on another thread that insisted *I* was the reason I was hit while I was sitting at a red light when two other cars hit each other then slid into me where I was stopped, well, you should really be eating your words now with your morning cereal. I'm sure you'll return here, too, to debate this thread. Such is life.
I agree with the list in that they put up the DC area and Miami/Hialeah. I have lived in CA, lived in WA, moved from WA state across the country to FL taking a year long detour in TX, and then from FL up to New England and those, DC and Miami area, (which includes Hialeah), out of all of the places I've driven, had the WORST, God awful, idiotic drivers EVER, on the road. Many of them should be banned from ever sitting behind the wheel of a car ever again! Boston was no picnic, either.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:18 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,397,852 times
The only mention on the list that I found interesting was Alexandria, VA, unless it's just a generic zip code sample, and counts the Interstates, which are notoriously congested, and prone to numerous fender-bender type accidents. Alexandria, the city, is actually not too bad, overall, save for congestion. The rest would be my usual suspects for the list.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 08-30-2012, 11:33 AM

3,922 posts, read 6,835,417 times
Quote:

Actually Chicago was on Allstates least accident prone cities this year. We may drive fast and change lanes often, but we know HOW to do it and we aren't afraid to act fast when necessary.

Where do American Cities Rank in Eighth Annual "Allstate America's Best Drivers Report??" - News Releases - Allstate Insurance Digital Newsroom

53. Phoenix, Ariz. 1.6% less likely 10.2
124. San Diego, Calif. 14.0% more likely 8.8
141 San Antonio, Texas 20.4% more likely 8.3
152. Chicago, Ill. 25.9% more likely 7.9
153. Houston, Texas 25.9% more likely 7.9
167. Dallas, Texas 32.8% more likely 7.5
176. New York, N.Y. 41.1% more likely 7.1
182. Los Angeles, Calif. 48.5% more likely 6.7
190. Philadelphia, Pa. 64.1% more likely 6.1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive