Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 09:43 PM

18 posts, read 61,887 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
I'm currently doing research on cars so I can be an informed consumer when I buy myself my first car. I've poked around on Craigslist and Edmunds looking for cars and then researching them to see how reliable they are. I've thrown some ideas around and just want to see what other people think, given my criteria list.

-$10,000 or less, preferably between $5,000-$7,500
-Maximum of 125k miles
-2000 or newer
-Leather seats
-Luxury brand (Acura, Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz) or Toyota
-Reliable (very important to me!!!)
-Preferablly takes regular gas

So what kind of models are doable with this criteria? I'm also willing to go a little older (1998+) if it were going to be a luxury brand. Otherwise, 2000+ is my target age.
Thank you for your help!

Last edited by oregonian19; 09-04-2012 at 10:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 10:23 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,890,380 times
I'd find a 2003-2005 Nissan Altima or Maxima.

Stay away from luxury brands such as BMW, Mercedes, and Audi. In your price range, these cars will be due for hefty maintenace items and will have a high cost of ownership.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:38 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
You want to watch out for Acura TL and CL with the early 5 speed auto transmission, 01-03, as there were numerous failures with that unit, and many were replaced under extended warranty. Some have had good luck with the replacement transmission, whereas others have not. However, a 99-00 model CL/TL with the 4 speed auto transmission would be a reliable bet that would fall within your preferred price range and vehicle category. If the vehicle is near 100k miles, the timing belt will need to be replaced at 105k. Ask if the service has been performed, and if it has not, or there is no record of such, negotiate the price based upon having the work done immediately. The Acura RL is also a good car from that era, and should fall within your price parameters, and did not have a transmission issue, though it tends to be a bit less fuel efficient than the TL because of the size/weight and 3.5L engine. The RSX would be a decent vehicle to consider as well, but will tend to have higher insurance, even for a coupe, as that series tended to be bought by tuners. If a Honda/Acura has been modified, do not buy it, rather look for a clean example.

Early 00s Mercedes were not benchmarks of reliability because that was during the Chrysler years, when there were problems with those vehicles when new, so as they age, maintenance/repairs will tend to be a the higher level. An e46 BMW may not be a bad bet, but only an inline six cylinder model, 325/328/etc. and only the rear wheel drive, not the AWD. Maintenance and repairs will be more expensive than a Honda/Acura, however, and they would be somewhat less reliable, and may be prone to electronic issues, and/or expensive air conditioning issues, as they age, but the car, itself, it pretty solid. Audis out of warranty are a labor of love, with much labor required to keep some of them on the road, so that might not be a good bet, either, if you want reliability.

Lexus are not bad, but can be very boring, if you were to look at an ES. The RWD GS is not as reliable, overall, as the ES or the LS, but even with mileage around 100k, you might be at the upper end of your preferred budget for an LS. The IS is not a bad small Lexus, however, and that series was RWD and generally relaiable.

I would buy the best example that you can find, of any of the makes, and have the car reviewed by a mechanic prior to purchase. Just be aware of the maintenance schedules for the vehicles you are considering and ensure that the proper work has been performed, or negotiate such that you have the work performed immediately if it is something that is borderline, such as coming up on a timing belt change, etc. but not exceeding the manufacturer's recommendations.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 09-05-2012, 10:18 PM

18 posts, read 61,887 times
Wow, very informative. Thank you!

What about Infinitis, though? I've seen some early-2000s I30s and I35s and they look pretty nice and from what I understand, Infiniti is pretty reliable.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:44 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonian19 View Post
Hi everyone!
I'm currently doing research on cars so I can be an informed consumer when I buy myself my first car. I've poked around on Craigslist and Edmunds looking for cars and then researching them to see how reliable they are. I've thrown some ideas around and just want to see what other people think, given my criteria list.

-$10,000 or less, preferably between $5,000-$7,500
-Maximum of 125k miles
-2000 or newer
-Leather seats
-Luxury brand (Acura, Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz) or Toyota
-Reliable (very important to me!!!)
-Preferablly takes regular gas

So what kind of models are doable with this criteria? I'm also willing to go a little older (1998+) if it were going to be a luxury brand. Otherwise, 2000+ is my target age.
Thank you for your help!
Don't go with a luxury brand if you want something reliable; repairs could exceed the value of the vehicle. A luxury vehicle from the late 90's and early 00's is NOT the a status symbol and in all reality, a newer, non-luxury vehicle would likely have just as many luxury "features" as a Lexus/BMW/Mercedes built in 1999 or something.

Toyota Corolla, Ford Fusion, Chevy Impala all are inexpensive, serviceable, and reliable.

Old 09-06-2012, 06:52 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,162,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
You want to watch out for Acura TL and CL with the early 5 speed auto transmission, 01-03, as there were numerous failures with that unit, and many were replaced under extended warranty. Some have had good luck with the replacement transmission, whereas others have not. However, a 99-00 model CL/TL with the 4 speed auto transmission would be a reliable bet that would fall within your preferred price range and vehicle category. If the vehicle is near 100k miles, the timing belt will need to be replaced at 105k. Ask if the service has been performed, and if it has not, or there is no record of such, negotiate the price based upon having the work done immediately. The Acura RL is also a good car from that era, and should fall within your price parameters, and did not have a transmission issue, though it tends to be a bit less fuel efficient than the TL because of the size/weight and 3.5L engine. The RSX would be a decent vehicle to consider as well, but will tend to have higher insurance, even for a coupe, as that series tended to be bought by tuners. If a Honda/Acura has been modified, do not buy it, rather look for a clean example.
Add to what he said, the same thing applies to the 6G Accords. I love the 6G Accord coupe, I had one for 5 years and looking to buy a used as a commuter but the transmission problem kept me away. For around 5k, you can get one with your criteria but you need to be careful with the tranny.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:13 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Reliable and costly are not the same thing.

A Lexus is likely to be VERY reliable, but still somewhat costly to keep running simply because parts are a bit expensive and dealer service is high. You of course might want an independent mechanic.

Most of the luxury brands listed will be relatively costly to own. A BMW 3 series isn't likely to strand you on the road. But my friends who have owned them of the age you could buy for $10K have all hit cost repairs around the 100K miles mark. Power window problems. Pressurized coolant overflow tank. Front suspension problems. All $$$ to get fixed.

Most luxury brands want premium fuel. Their engines are designed for more power from their displacement and usually want/need 91 octane to run their best.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:39 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times
My general advice for someone shopping in your price range is that beggars can't be choosers and you need to get realistic about your budget (including maintaining/insuring whatever you buy), actual needs and how long you need this car to last.

If this is an A to B commuter car going to work or school and you are on a tight budget then you need to be looking at the classically reliable and efficient cars and get the newest lowest mileage example you can find. Some options to look at:

Toyota Matrix / Pontiac Vibe
Toyota Corolla
Honda Civic
Ford Focus
Chevy Cobalt
Hyundai Elantra

You should be able to find plenty examples of any of those cars in your price range. If you want something larger look at some of the older Buicks like the LeSabre, Pontiac Grand Prix's or Chevy Impala's or the old faithfuls like the Toyota Camry or Honda Accord. You could also look at Ford Fusions and Mazda6's.

Sorry to say but a $10k budget, luxury and reliability (very important to you) just don't go together.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:47 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,754,723 times
06-08 Accord or Sonata.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:48 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Toyota Yaris or Corolla would be ideal given your criteria. Avoid the luxury brands and stick with a brand that you feel comfortable in. You could also try a Honda Civic, Ford Focus, etc. Just as long as you drop the "luxury" requirement, $10K is plenty for a fuel efficient, reliable, safe, and cheap to maintain used car.

If you commute an insane # of miles (say over 20,000 a year), consider a used Prius. Contrary to what the naysayers after me might imply, the battery has a relatively small probability of breaking after about 100K miles (although it increases a little after 200K.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive