U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-09-2012, 06:29 PM

131 posts, read 163,628 times

Advertisements

I need to replace my windshield and got a quote from Safelite since I heard they're the most reputable company for this stuff. They quoted me at $400.73 (got a discount because I have insurance with Bristol West) but my insurance won't cover this so it's coming out of my pocket, therefore I'm trying to get the best deal possible.

I looked around for other places and found Windshield Guru. They quoted me at $332.49 which includes everything, EVEN them coming to my house and fixing it there. With Safelite it would cost me an extra $25 to do that. I don't mind going to the shop but we only have one car and I'd rather not wait in a waiting room for 2 hours.

Anyway, I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience using Windshield Guru and if they'd recommend them. I know saving $68.24 might not be too much to some people but I'm extremely tight on money so it's a big difference for me but if paying that extra $68.24 will get a way better job then I will do it.

Any help is highly appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2012, 08:02 PM

2,894 posts, read 2,986,747 times
Is either company using oem glass? if they are go with that company.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:55 PM

10,263 posts, read 5,599,966 times
I had to get the windshield replaced last year. It happened in FL, where I used to live, but didn't have the money to get it fixed at the time. Drove it up to my new state, called the insurance company to change over my info, they asked if there was anything, "new", (meaning damage), and I informed them about the windshield being the only thing. Found out, in FL, regardless of insurance, it gets fixed, there is no deductible so they had me just keep the FL insurance until it was done since it did happen in FL.

Insurance company sent out SafeLite Auto Glass. They came to my house, did the work and did a really good job. Have no experience with the other company so can't tell which is better or worse, can only tell you that SafeLite must have the reputation they have for a reason. I'm happy with the work they did.

Old 09-11-2012, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I had to get the windshield replaced last year. It happened in FL, where I used to live, but didn't have the money to get it fixed at the time. Drove it up to my new state, called the insurance company to change over my info, they asked if there was anything, "new", (meaning damage), and I informed them about the windshield being the only thing. Found out, in FL, regardless of insurance, it gets fixed, there is no deductible so they had me just keep the FL insurance until it was done since it did happen in FL.

Insurance company sent out SafeLite Auto Glass. They came to my house, did the work and did a really good job. Have no experience with the other company so can't tell which is better or worse, can only tell you that SafeLite must have the reputation they have for a reason. I'm happy with the work they did.
I also have insurance in Florida as that's where I'm from. This happened in New Jersey though and when I called my insurance they said there's nothing they can do because I have the most basic coverage they offer. My dad told me that Florida law is that it must get fixed no matter what when it first happened last month but my insurance said that isn't true so I don't know what else to do, and like I said it happened in New Jersey so I'm not sure if that law even applies to my case.

Another reason why I'm considering not using Safelite is because they don't use OEM, they use OEE. Not sure if there really is a big difference but I've heard that OEM is way better.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:12 AM

2,458 posts, read 1,964,585 times
There’s a lot more than price that you have to worry about.

Glass quality
Will they be using old or new trim if needed
Installation quality

I have seen more cars damaged because of poor install quality than anything else.

Cut headliners, dash boards, a pillar trim and scratched paint.

The paint under the windshield must be touched up or it will turn into a rot hole in a few years.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
There’s a lot more than price that you have to worry about.

Glass quality
Will they be using old or new trim if needed
Installation quality

I have seen more cars damaged because of poor install quality than anything else.

Cut headliners, dash boards, a pillar trim and scratched paint.

The paint under the windshield must be touched up or it will turn into a rot hole in a few years.
I decided to make the appointment to have it done today with the local place because they use OEM while Safelite uses OEE. I don't know about the other things you mentioned though.. I didn't think about those. This is frustrating.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:47 AM

1,457 posts, read 2,053,945 times
As Fargobound mentioned, I have experienced. Safelite managed to mess up our car (so much glue it oozed inside the cabin, all over the fabric headliner, scratched paint, and the glass pitted WAY faster than OEM).

We went with a local company the next time around, paid less, got OEM glass, a better installation, etc... Yet another instance where a company with big advertising budget is clearly NOT the best option. Actually, I don't think I've found a company with a big advertising budget where they are the best option.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:40 AM

1,888 posts, read 2,405,473 times
Ask your insurance company to recommend someone. I got a quote from safelite, but when I called the company my car insurance company uses, it was almost half the price for the same service, for them to come out and replace the windshield at my house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive