Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2012, 01:57 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRPct View Post
And how much is it rated to tow??? GVCW?? Try reading my previous post.. the reasoning still stands... If tge sponsor doesnt care what is used for a tow rig, why spend another $$ or a minute of time fixing what aint broke??? Seems to be more than one person trying to answer a question never asked.
I did read your previous post... didn't you notice I quoted them? Your original reasoning DOESN'T still stand. Your original argument was that it was far too long, it is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 02:08 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
I did read your previous post... didn't you notice I quoted them? Your original reasoning DOESN'T still stand. Your original argument was that it was far too long, it is not.
No. My original arguement was that it was not time or economically efficient.. have you driven these types of race or show rigs for teams into a busy pro race weekend?? Cause I have, and ANY light duty pickup or even flat nose big rig is MUCH easier to manuver in these enviroments than ANY medium duty chassis originally designed to carry a box.

You think its SUCH a plausable, good, idea then go ahead and come up with your own business plan to sell this cool new hybrid medium duty chassis to all these teams that are NOT looking for a way to fix a problem that doesnt exist. If it SO easy and such an attractive alternative than Im sure you can come up with a way to make some $$$ from it..
Again I never said it COULDNT be done.. I said it doesnt make ANY sense to since it is not easy on so many levels.

Incidently ALSO with ENOUGH work we could get a corrolla to tow that trailer.. or even cooler how bout an old "bradley vehicle"... Why all the extra work and expense when you can get a perfectly fine tool for the job off of a store shelf basically, and you know you can find parts for those allover the country?? Or you most likely ALREADY own a perfectably usable tool??.. WTF is your point??

Last edited by LRPct; 09-21-2012 at 02:32 PM..

Old 09-21-2012, 02:26 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I'm getting a truck real soon and I know I want a 4x4 and bed of atleast 6'.

I don't need a truck for towing anything of significance (only occasional trailer or very small boat or furniture or lumber).

I don't think I need an F150 or Tundra or Silverado (30,000), I rather not unnecessary pay much for gas. I'm not very fond of the big double cabs or Honda Ridgeline for instance, those seem more like a family SUV to me.

I may get a new model or may get a 2nd hand model, like 2010. Many smaller trucks are no longer in production. Are American trucks as dependable as Japanese?

I know a man with a 1994 ford work truck with 200,000 miles but I'm not sure how much repair work he did over its lifetime.
This thread looks like it got totally derailed, so I'm going to stick with the OP. If you want a 4x4 with a shortbed, and don't want to do any towing, then there is no reason to get a half-ton truck (F150, Silverado, Tundra, etc.) The reason being that 4x4 doesn't mean 'off-road'. In other words, these big trucks 'aint no mudders'. If your goal is to haul some camp gear off into the woods, then a much smaller truck is more optimal. In this category, you really can't beat the Toyota Tacoma (which I call the official truck of the 'Colorado-bro'). The platform is much more capable for off-road maneuvers than a full size truck. And if MPG is an issue, it has a very capable 4 cylinder that gets over 24 mpg on the highway--although most opt for the V6.

However, if you ARE looking for a heavy-duty work/towing truck, then it is 3/4-ton diesel or nothing.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:04 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
No. My original arguement was that it was not time or economically efficient.. have you driven these types of race or show rigs for teams into a busy pro race weekend?? Cause I have, and ANY light duty pickup or even flat nose big rig is MUCH easier to manuver in these enviroments than ANY medium duty chassis originally designed to carry a box.

You think its SUCH a plausable, good, idea then go ahead and come up with your own business plan to sell this cool new hybrid medium duty chassis to all these teams that are NOT looking for a way to fix a problem that doesnt exist. If it SO easy and such an attractive alternative than Im sure you can come up with a way to make some $$$ from it..
Again I never said it COULDNT be done.. I said it doesnt make ANY sense to since it is not easy on so many levels.

Incidently ALSO with ENOUGH work we could get a corrolla to tow that trailer.. or even cooler how bout an old "bradley vehicle"... Why all the extra work and expense when you can get a perfectly fine tool for the job off of a store shelf basically, and you know you can find parts for those allover the country?? Or you most likely ALREADY own a perfectably usable tool??.. WTF is your point??
The two trucks I suggested were NOT hibrids. You see many trucks in the class 6 and class 7 towing trailers, everything from 5th wheel RVs stock trailers, to fancy horse trailers to enclosed cargo trailers. It maks perfect sense, a proven drive train, heavy duty brakes. An extra safety margain.

It would take no more to set up a hino to pull compared to a F450 or a 3500. Outfitters are around who can have a bed and hitch, wiring and brake controller put on in a day maybe two days if there was some fabrication... Which isn't far off of what a 1 ton ford chevrolet or dodge would need. For a bit more money, you have a heavier truck, a safer truck, and a truck that will hold up better than a 1 ton. If you really wanted to, even add a sleeper cab.

They are more common than you think.

as far as the OP I would stick with a Ford.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:06 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,817,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
This thread looks like it got totally derailed, so I'm going to stick with the OP. If you want a 4x4 with a shortbed, and don't want to do any towing, then there is no reason to get a half-ton truck (F150, Silverado, Tundra, etc.) The reason being that 4x4 doesn't mean 'off-road'. In other words, these big trucks 'aint no mudders'. If your goal is to haul some camp gear off into the woods, then a much smaller truck is more optimal. In this category, you really can't beat the Toyota Tacoma (which I call the official truck of the 'Colorado-bro'). The platform is much more capable for off-road maneuvers than a full size truck. And if MPG is an issue, it has a very capable 4 cylinder that gets over 24 mpg on the highway--although most opt for the V6.

However, if you ARE looking for a heavy-duty work/towing truck, then it is 3/4-ton diesel or nothing.
That's not true. My F-250 Super Duty 4x4 is an Off Road equipped truck. My former F-150 4x4 was as well. Chevy/GMC has the Z71 package on theirs. You get all sorts of factory 4x4 mods when you step up to that optional package. A transfer case skid plate is just one. Heavy duty front tow hooks are another. All terrain tires, upgraded sway/stablizer bars, fog lights and various other goodies.
Do all these factory mods make a difference? Well, when my limited slip rear end on this truck (the F-150 had both front and rear) tears out of a sink hole while your peg leg is burning rubber......yeah it does.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:20 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,817,058 times
BTW...my second set of tires on this truck are almost shot. These are going on ASAP before winter gets here. These are the new Goodyears. They carry 5 star reviews in customer satifaction and performance.
It's a no brainer for me which ones I want this time around. Size 265-75R-16 Load E.

Goodyear "DuraTrac" - YouTube

Old 09-21-2012, 05:47 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
That's not true. My F-250 Super Duty 4x4 is an Off Road equipped truck. My former F-150 4x4 was as well. Chevy/GMC has the Z71 package on theirs. You get all sorts of factory 4x4 mods when you step up to that optional package. A transfer case skid plate is just one. Heavy duty front tow hooks are another. All terrain tires, upgraded sway/stablizer bars, fog lights and various other goodies.
Do all these factory mods make a difference? Well, when my limited slip rear end on this truck (the F-150 had both front and rear) tears out of a sink hole while your peg leg is burning rubber......yeah it does.
No doubt it has the ability to tear itself out of a mud pit, but it still has the stiff suspension and long wheelbase of a heavy duty truck. It can handle off road, but it is not as nimble on the trails as a Jeep or 4Runner, and far more jarring of a ride. A smaller truck is somewhere in between, is more nimble, can move faster on rocky terrain, and has a softer suspension.

An F150 can drive off-road, and a Tacoma can haul around 20 bags of concrete mix. However each truck was built more for one purpose and less for the other.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:41 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,428,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_reino View Post
No doubt it has the ability to tear itself out of a mud pit, but it still has the stiff suspension and long wheelbase of a heavy duty truck. It can handle off road, but it is not as nimble on the trails as a Jeep or 4Runner, and far more jarring of a ride. A smaller truck is somewhere in between, is more nimble, can move faster on rocky terrain, and has a softer suspension.

An F150 can drive off-road, and a Tacoma can haul around 20 bags of concrete mix. However each truck was built more for one purpose and less for the other.
He's got a point, RBG. If me and you went out in the woods right now, your F-250 would probably belly on a rock or a dirt hill or a large fallen tree, that my Jeep would crawl right over. It's too long. I could weave thru tree stands, where you'd probably be whacking your box () off trees. But......I would assume you would just pull/cut down/go over/burn, whatever trees may lie in your way.

As for the jarring ride.......meeeeeeh. My YJ has the same suspension as a covered wagon

Old 09-21-2012, 07:29 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:

Seriously? That is your reaction and reply? LOL, I hope you are not that argumentative and ornery in real life and are just trying to be an internet hard-ass. When the HINO was brought up your next post was this:
Quote:
Noooooo... Wheelbase about 15 feet too long. Makes it impossible to manuver in the type of places a race/show hauler need to go.
That has nothing at all about time or economically efficient in it.
Then you go on a rant about something totally off the wall that isn't even in the realm of common sense. The HINO comes as a cab/chassis, it wouldn't be that big of a stretch or an engineering feat to turn it into a 5th wheel tow vehicle, just like ANY other truck type but without the bed to have to work around. It looks like this exact thing is done on a regular basis in Australia with the HINO. If the size is the same, the turn radius is the same and the exterior dimensions are the same I fail to see why it would be so much worse than any other tow rig. The difficulty you are describing seems to be more of a lack of personal driving skills than vehicle capabilities. And yes, I have driven rigs like this and larger, without difficulty I might add.

You were shown to be wrong and now are acting like a child, get over it.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:48 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Seriously? That is your reaction and reply? LOL, I hope you are not that argumentative and ornery in real life and are just trying to be an internet hard-ass. When the HINO was brought up your next post was this:

That has nothing at all about time or economically efficient in it.
Then you go on a rant about something totally off the wall that isn't even in the realm of common sense. The HINO comes as a cab/chassis, it wouldn't be that big of a stretch or an engineering feat to turn it into a 5th wheel tow vehicle, just like ANY other truck type but without the bed to have to work around. It looks like this exact thing is done on a regular basis in Australia with the HINO. If the size is the same, the turn radius is the same and the exterior dimensions are the same I fail to see why it would be so much worse than any other tow rig. The difficulty you are describing seems to be more of a lack of personal driving skills than vehicle capabilities. And yes, I have driven rigs like this and larger, without difficulty I might add.

You were shown to be wrong and now are acting like a child, get over it.
Yup.

I spend plenty of time in trucks hino sized and bigger. They are very easy to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive