Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2018, 03:51 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,267,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Perhaps one or two thing has made me somewhat biased, but from my own personal experience, my 2002 Dakota R/T has been one incredible truck.
I bought it new in 02, and in all those years, tires and a starter are all that I had to replace.
It looks and runs as good as the day I bought it.
It has been an extremely dependable truck, and that 5.9 V8 doesn't hurt either.
It rides as smooth as a car, and does not have one rattle in it, and never has.
It is one great truck.
Bob.
That’s pretty incredible because the 360 is notorious for lower manifold gasket issues. I had a Dakota and it was a horrible unreliable truck. So was my Ram truck. That’s why I swore off any dodge vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 07:25 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,043,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
Who else builds a truck other than Ford, Dodge or Chevy?

I don't know any..........
Yes, if it ain't American made with a full ladder frame it ain't a truck at all.

Old 04-23-2018, 08:13 PM

1,065 posts, read 767,374 times
Default Rent your top three picks for a day

Do your research. Rent your top three vehicle picks and try them out for at least four hours each. Make your own list of pro's and con's of each truck. Remember the choice should be made by you, because you have to live with it. That will be the best three hundred dollars you ever spent in this life.

Old 04-23-2018, 10:28 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,285,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
Yes, if it ain't American made with a full ladder frame it ain't a truck at all.
well, the Toyota trucks sold in the US are built in Texas. Its relative, the HiLux, is well known for its ruggedness that it's become infamous as the truck used by guerrilla, paramilitary, and irregular armed forces around the world, particularly in developing countries.

Old 04-24-2018, 12:08 AM

797 posts, read 745,281 times
Most 90s trucks are well built. Rangers are decent too.
For sure I know Toyotas will probably outlast this Forum if taken care of.
Tacoma might suite you well.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:47 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,606,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
well, the Toyota trucks sold in the US are built in Texas. Its relative, the HiLux, is well known for its ruggedness that it's become infamous as the truck used by guerrilla, paramilitary, and irregular armed forces around the world, particularly in developing countries.
The Hilux is infamous because it's abundant in those countries. If they had the options for one of the large American made trucks that number may change. Has nothing to do with its longevity and everything to do with its availability. They're decent trucks.... but not bullet proof. I have way more experience with that truck than I care to. It's left its share of people stranded in high stress situations.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:39 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,703,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
The Hilux is infamous because it's abundant in those countries. If they had the options for one of the large American made trucks that number may change. Has nothing to do with its longevity and everything to do with its availability. They're decent trucks.... but not bullet proof. I have way more experience with that truck than I care to. It's left its share of people stranded in high stress situations.
I'd disagree. The reliability and longevity difference between an F-Series Ford and a Hilux is stark. Up it to a Land Cruiser 70 Series pickup and they aren't even on the same planet. People go for the Toyota because it works, and continues to work with minimal maintenance, for just about forever.

Really the only thing that can kill one of these Toyotas is rust.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:13 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,267,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
I'd disagree. The reliability and longevity difference between an F-Series Ford and a Hilux is stark. Up it to a Land Cruiser 70 Series pickup and they aren't even on the same planet. People go for the Toyota because it works, and continues to work with minimal maintenance, for just about forever.

Really the only thing that can kill one of these Toyotas is rust.

Oh bull. Tacoma’s have just as many problems as any other car out there. Head gasket, rear leaf springs, ball joints, steering, exhaust and manifolds, valve cover gaskets leaking. They aren’t troublefree. Go to Tacoma forums and you’ll see common problems with Tacomas. People just think that if they buy a Toyota it will run forever with no issues which is just absolute crap. Are toyotas good cars? Yes, are they indestructible to what people state ? No.

Old 04-27-2018, 08:32 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,703,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Oh bull. Tacoma’s have just as many problems as any other car out there. Head gasket, rear leaf springs, ball joints, steering, exhaust and manifolds, valve cover gaskets leaking. They aren’t troublefree. Go to Tacoma forums and you’ll see common problems with Tacomas. People just think that if they buy a Toyota it will run forever with no issues which is just absolute crap. Are toyotas good cars? Yes, are they indestructible to what people state ? No.
You realize that I was talking real world and you are talking forums where only people with problems post? Here is my real world. In a past life I spent a lot of time investing in hard rock mining and mining services companies, which allowed me to spend time in all kinds of mines all over the world. The only light duty trucks I ever saw at a pit or underground mine outside of the US were Toyota Hilux and LC Series 70s, with an occasional Nissan Patrol or Land Cruiser SUV for the foreman to drive. That's all over South and Central America, Asia, Russia, Africa, and Europe. The only times I saw Fords or Chevys (never Dodges for some reason) was in North America where the Toyotas weren't available.

Mining is a tough business carried out in remote areas and they only spend their money on equipment that is fit for the job, low maintenance, high reliability, and reasonable cost.

Old 04-27-2018, 09:56 AM

20,867 posts, read 23,422,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Go to Chevy and F150 forums and you will see all the issues that these vehicles have too. I have a neighbor who swore that F150's were the best until he bought a new one that rusted out at the C-pillar of the double cab. He took it to the dealer and the dealer said too bad so sad because he didn't get it inspected yearly. Vehicle was only 4 years old at this point. He dumped it and bought a ram and swore off Ford forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive