Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2012, 07:12 PM

22 posts, read 79,367 times

Advertisements

Kia Rio 5 2007

Took out busted engine, when putting new one in, we realized the torque converter came out of its' seat when we took the old engine out. There are 2 notches 180 degrees oposit of each other which have to slide into the trans pump, but after applying some grease, we checked and sure enough, it is not connecting bc the grease is still on the notches. I had another mechanic come look at it, and we're all out of ideas. I was thinking of taking the trans pump off, but have no clue how to. There are no lip on the intake shaft of the pump to grab to pull it out, there is no way to grab it from inside and pull, seems like the o ring will be damaged...there seems to be nothing to grab on to at all!

I really need my car. Plz, if u got any suggestions, let me know asap! Ty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 07:45 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,815,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalDoll View Post
Kia Rio 5 2007

Took out busted engine, when putting new one in, we realized the torque converter came out of its' seat when we took the old engine out. There are 2 notches 180 degrees oposit of each other which have to slide into the trans pump, but after applying some grease, we checked and sure enough, it is not connecting bc the grease is still on the notches. I had another mechanic come look at it, and we're all out of ideas. I was thinking of taking the trans pump off, but have no clue how to. There are no lip on the intake shaft of the pump to grab to pull it out, there is no way to grab it from inside and pull, seems like the o ring will be damaged...there seems to be nothing to grab on to at all!

I really need my car. Plz, if u got any suggestions, let me know asap! Ty.
First off, I'm not a Kia man, so hang in there.

Are there keys in keyways on that shaft? If so, make sure they are centered and pressed all the way into their slots. A dab of grease usually will hold them. Don't over do it though. If you use to much, you just built a grease gun. It's hydraulic pressure fighting you. I would try tranny fluid on them first instead of grease. It sounds like you packed a bunch in and it won't let the slot slide in straight or not at all.

Again, I've never had a Kia apart, much less even driven one. I'm talking blind.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:54 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,815,947 times
A manual always helps for SOB tasks.

KIA RIO SERVICE MANUAL REPAIR 2006 2007 2008 ONLIINE - Download Manuals & Technical

Old 09-13-2012, 08:01 PM

22 posts, read 79,367 times
Damn I've been looking for the service manual for this damn car forever now! Thx. And we tried without the grease first...but it is a good idea to try the trans oil, since it's such a great lubricant, maybe it will help it slide in easier! I'l try that this weekend! Thx

If anyone else has any suggestions, let me know...I'm ready to go back and try w/e I can to get this damn thing back in! Lol

Old 09-13-2012, 09:40 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,218,162 times
Is the converter a remanufactured unit? If you're trying to pull it out perhaps you could utilize the threaded holes where the flywheel fastens to the converter, bolt some sort of "handle" to it. I would only use transmission fluid to lubricate things in there.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:31 PM

105 posts, read 448,839 times
All the converter swaps I have done, there are 3 stages of engagement for the converter not just 2. Keep rotating clockwise till you feel a 3rd engagement is my suggestion. But, again I have never done it on a foreign car, just domestic.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:23 AM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
The engagement of the TC has to go a certain way.

Take a tape measure and very carefully check the distance between the bolt holes.....you cannot see the difference with your eyes.....but it IS there...........how do I know....don't ask.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:40 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,624,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsykoKustomz View Post
All the converter swaps I have done, there are 3 stages of engagement for the converter not just 2. Keep rotating clockwise till you feel a 3rd engagement is my suggestion. But, again I have never done it on a foreign car, just domestic.
You beat me to it But then again, I've never had a Kia Rio apart either

Old 09-15-2012, 01:43 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,858,693 times
If I'm understanding this correctly, the converter came out and now you're just trying to re-install it. I see no need to try to pull the pump out of the trans. You would have had to have done something drastic for that to be necessary. Removing the pump can be a bit involved because there are usually two types of seals for the pump itself as well as o-rings, spacers, bushings, washers and/or who knows what else that pop out with it if you're not careful. To remove one without taking anything else apart requires a slide hammer with the proper size threads that go into the pump if it's like the ones I'm thinking of.
It's been a little while since I've seen a trans like the one you're doing, but those things are common with most trans of that type.
Spin the converter while holding the hub of it level with the trans and push in all at the same time. It's a little tricky on some cars, but that all there is to it. Sometimes it just takes a while if you're not hitting the slots and splines just right. On some cars, it's easier to hold your hand spread out on the back of the converter and push in while slightly moving it around in every direction. Easier to show than to explain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive