Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 02:38 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times

Advertisements

...while replacing the rear view mirror? I was holding the button on the glass so the glue would set, and suddenly a perfectly straight crack appeared down the center of the windshield, top to bottom. Strange.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 03:03 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,215,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
...while replacing the rear view mirror? I was holding the button on the glass so the glue would set, and suddenly a perfectly straight crack appeared down the center of the windshield, top to bottom. Strange.
Interesting... the drying glue obviously induced a stress point (probably from contraction), never seen that before. What brand of glue did you use?

Old 09-14-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Interesting... the drying glue obviously induced a stress point (probably from contraction), never seen that before. What brand of glue did you use?
I used the Permatex kit. The windshield is about 5 years old with less than 4K miles on it. I hardly drive the truck.

Dammit.

Some pics:

It can't be seen looking straight at it from outside. I wonder if the glass filler repair shops use on small cracks will work.

Last edited by vmaxnc; 09-14-2012 at 03:25 PM..

Old 09-14-2012, 03:40 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,815,572 times
Not like that but something a little different. I had a '96 F-150 that I was following a car down a dirt road near my house. That broad kicked up a rock from spinning her wheels around a corner. It whacked my windshield with force. It chipped it and I thought that was the end of it. She tore off by the way....so nothing could be done.

Anyway, I went to the 4H fair later. When I came out at night, the little chip spread like wildfire. There was a HUGE spiderweb crack running the whole length of the windshield. My best guess was when it cooled off after the sun went down. That cost me like $450 to get it replaced.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:35 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Quote:

It can't be seen looking straight at it from outside. I wonder if the glass filler repair shops use on small cracks will work.
I had a similar looking crack caused by a small rock that migrated into a crack, the glass repair shops wouldn't touch anything bigger than A chip.

Thats a bummer, was the windshield hot?

Old 09-14-2012, 04:55 PM

441 posts, read 1,487,131 times
My guess would be, you had a small chip on the very edge of the glass near the top and the applied pressure was at the right spot.
That does suck!

Old 09-14-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
Not like that but something a little different. I had a '96 F-150 that I was following a car down a dirt road near my house. That broad kicked up a rock from spinning her wheels around a corner. It whacked my windshield with force. It chipped it and I thought that was the end of it. She tore off by the way....so nothing could be done.

Anyway, I went to the 4H fair later. When I came out at night, the little chip spread like wildfire. There was a HUGE spiderweb crack running the whole length of the windshield. My best guess was when it cooled off after the sun went down. That cost me like $450 to get it replaced.
Mine is a '95 F150, coincidentally. 5 years ago I was driving home and a concrete truck in front of me kicked up a concrete brick off the pavement. I first saw it about the time it cleared the hood, and it smashed the windshield right in front of my face.

I'm on the phone right now with the glass company, who has volunteered the info that if the button fell off, this may be a warranty repair.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Mine is a '95 F150, coincidentally. 5 years ago I was driving home and a concrete truck in front of me kicked up a concrete brick off the pavement. I first saw it about the time it cleared the hood, and it smashed the windshield right in front of my face.

I'm on the phone right now with the glass company, who has volunteered the info that if the button fell off, this may be a warranty repair.
This happened back in '97 I think. I bought it new in December of '95 so it wasn't quite 2 yet. That windshield was $450 installed then. I would hate to know what it would be in '12.

Never the less, the glass company I used was nothing short of the best. They had a new one in.. in no time and even came to my work parking lot to do it. The Ford OEM replacement never cracked or gave me any trouble again as long as I owned the truck.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
This happened back in '97 I think. I bought it new in December of '95 so it wasn't quite 2 yet. That windshield was $450 installed then. I would hate to know what it would be in '12.

Never the less, the glass company I used was nothing short of the best. They had a new one in.. in no time and even came to my work parking lot to do it. The Ford OEM replacement never cracked or gave me any trouble again as long as I owned the truck.
Junkyard windshields are $35. Safelite told me the windshield was $205 plus labor; estimated under $300 if I were paying for it.

Tomorrow morning I get a new windshield. It remains to be seen who is paying for it. Not me; either the insurance company or Safelite. They came out 5 years ago when I had it replaced and did a great job.

Old 09-14-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Junkyard windshields are $35. Safelite told me the windshield was $205 plus labor; estimated under $300 if I were paying for it.

Tomorrow morning I get a new windshield. It remains to be seen who is paying for it. Not me; either the insurance company or Safelite. They came out 5 years ago when I had it replaced and did a great job.
That's good it's not one of the new ones with the radio antenna inside of it like a lot of newer cars have. My '02 F-250 Super Duty that replaced it doesn't have one either. That windshield is even bigger. Jeez, don't get broke....PLEASE!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive