Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 06:26 PM

1,151 posts, read 2,022,728 times

Advertisements

It seems like they're building more and more of them up here.

Curious to see how many know the rules, which I understand are different in differing parts of the country.

Pretty much the only written rule in Maine is that the driver on the left has the right of way in a rotary. So entering traffic yields to circulating traffic, circulating traffic on the outside lane yields to exiting traffic on the inside lane.

There are lane-usage guidelines in the state's DMV handbook, but nothing that seems to be codified in the law. The guidebook says to you should be in the right lane if you're exiting within two exits. Oddly enough, it doesn't specifically say when to use the left, but it's rather moot now, since the only two-lane rotaries in the state have had the lane-markings modified to eliminate the need for lane changes within the circles. Flash Earth - Zoom into satellite and aerial imagery of the Earth in Flash & Flash Earth - Zoom into satellite and aerial imagery of the Earth in Flash

A good idea for the Clark Griswolds of the world, I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 06:48 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,971,621 times
Look for an opening and gun it.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:23 PM

3,602 posts, read 7,851,207 times
> Look for an opening and gun it.

I think that's how they used to do it in Jersey, which is why I never learned how to drive properly in a circle until I started using them in AZ.

Huh- you ARE Jersey!

Old 09-14-2012, 07:28 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,592,230 times
I hate them, they should be banned!

Old 09-14-2012, 07:42 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,113,173 times
I have yet to experience the multi-lane version. I shudder to think of it since people here seem to struggle enough with the single lane version. My last house backed up to one, and you wouldn't believe how many times you'd hear horns and screeching tires coming from there at all hours.

Mike

Old 09-14-2012, 10:17 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,082 posts, read 80,118,318 times
We have a couple of them with multiple lanes, but most are single and work out very well. Far less accidents but also less revenue for the cities with no more tickets for running the red light. We do have a few red light cameras, though.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:33 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,697,699 times
For a properly designed and controlled roundabout, the rule is simple: traffic in the roundabout has the right of way; traffic entering the roundabout yields to traffic already in it. Simplified rule when approaching a roundabout: "Look left and go." Multi-lane roundabouts are no problem as long as everyone follows the rules: If you're turning right, use the outside approach lane and roundabout ring; if you're going straight through, use either; if you're turning left or doing a U-turn, use the inside lane/ring. Follow these rules and and lane management works itself out pretty well.

There are only two roundabouts I know of in my area -- "traffic circles" would be a better way to describe them -- and both are such ludicrous fusterclucks that they should just be totally scrapped and redone. In one of them you're required to stop before entering the circle even if you have a clear opening (Uhm, duh? Kinda defeats the purpose of a roundabout/traffic circle.) The other one is the stupidest intersection I've ever seen: access to and through the circle is actually controlled by stop lights, plus there is a diagonal thoroughfare that goes through the middle of the circle. I doubt it's possible to design a stupider, less effective, and more pointless intersection than that.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,559 posts, read 57,471,708 times
In Boston it seems.... (un-written rule...) Eye contact = Right of way (multi lane). That is why they wear those horse blinders while driving

I think they are MUCH better in UK. They are BIGGER Dia (british measure ) and you are not wrestling with TIGHT turning + high speed decisions.

Our local gov said "They have A LOT more accidents, BUT they are slower SPEED accidents, and not so medically / death causing." (This Rotary... Sponsored by local chiropractor and autobody shop!, call for an appointment today... Pre-sales and gift cards available at a discount)

We have some new rotaries on a major highway, and they are really fun driving a semi with CA Doubles... 40' + 28' pup. CRUNCH Whoops.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
I hate them, they should be banned!
I actually like the ones around here, even the two-lane ones. They keep everyone moving all at once, which saves gas and time. Once in a while you get people who don't follow the rules and mess it up for everyone, but those same people are usually blowing through stop signs and red lights too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo
I have yet to experience the multi-lane version. I shudder to think of it since people here seem to struggle enough with the single lane version. My last house backed up to one, and you wouldn't believe how many times you'd hear horns and screeching tires coming from there at all hours.
Wow... a product of making it so easy to get a driver's license, I guess. I mean, a one-lane circle isn't that hard to figure out, is it?

Old 09-14-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
In Boston it seems.... (un-written rule...) Eye contact = Right of way (multi lane). That is why they wear those horse blinders while driving

I think they are MUCH better in UK. They are BIGGER Dia (british measure ) and you are not wrestling with TIGHT turning + high speed decisions.

Our local gov said "They have A LOT more accidents, BUT they are slower SPEED accidents, and not so medically / death causing." (This Rotary... Sponsored by local chiropractor and autobody shop!, call for an appointment today... Pre-sales and gift cards available at a discount)

We have some new rotaries on a major highway, and they are really fun driving a semi with CA Doubles... 40' + 28' pup. CRUNCH Whoops.
lol, I always give trucks plenty of room anywhere, but especially in rotaries. I wouldn't want to negotiate a double trailer on one though, that must be a pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive