Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 11:31 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I feel for ya! It depends very much on the built environment on whether a person feels comfortable enough walking it as opposed to driving, at least for those who would consider it. Traffic calming designs- wider sidewalks, curb bump-outs, changes in striping or road surfaces on crosswalks and just space or planting barriers between roads and walking areas can go a long way towards getting people out there on their feet.

I walk all over the place, live in a neighborhood that is eminently walkable and in a (fairly) dense urban area where sidewalks are definitely part of the built environment- enough so that I'll walk downtown to the ballpark or the bay from my house which is a little over two miles, as well as daily for shopping. I usually take the bus to work just because its easier and convenient; my car often has spider webs sprouting from the mirrors. But I totally understand those in rural or suburban areas where it just isn't gonna work, because of either distance poor design. In fact I find most rural areas to be typically very unfriendly for walking, if not downright dangerous.

I also agree that it is a lifestyle thing, as much as I couldn't really care whether or not folks walk, I do find it a bit odd that there is that extreme in this country that not only eschews walking but finds it completely untenable and a threat to their car based lifestyle and freedoms when designs or transportation solutions don't completely cater exclusively towards them.
Agree it is both a "built environment" and a lifestyle issue. In Colorado we have both a lottery and limited table gambling.
Some money from both is earmarked for outdoor recreation. So even in a bad economy we have had consistent funding for open space and multiuse trails.
I am spoiled in that I find I can do most of my riding/walking on trails and low volume residential streets.
I certainly understand the built environment is not bike/pedestrian friendly everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2012, 11:33 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
I feel for ya! It depends very much on the built environment on whether a person feels comfortable enough walking it as opposed to driving, at least for those who would consider it. Traffic calming designs- wider sidewalks, curb bump-outs, changes in striping or road surfaces on crosswalks and just space or planting barriers between roads and walking areas can go a long way towards getting people out there on their feet.

I walk all over the place, live in a neighborhood that is eminently walkable and in a (fairly) dense urban area where sidewalks are definitely part of the built environment- enough so that I'll walk downtown to the ballpark or the bay from my house which is a little over two miles, as well as daily for shopping. I usually take the bus to work just because its easier and convenient; my car often has spider webs sprouting from the mirrors. But I totally understand those in rural or suburban areas where it just isn't gonna work, because of either distance poor design. In fact I find most rural areas to be typically very unfriendly for walking, if not downright dangerous.

I also agree that it is a lifestyle thing, as much as I couldn't really care whether or not folks walk, I do find it a bit odd that there is that extreme in this country that not only eschews walking but finds it completely untenable and a threat to their car based lifestyle and freedoms when designs or transportation solutions don't completely cater exclusively towards them.
I am all for good design that shares the road. For foot, bike and car, a three way win.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:34 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Being both dumb AND proud of it is a dangerous combination.
Hello, Eco-mentalist. Tell me why I'm dumb. To be honest, I'm not against the environment. I think we should do our part to not litter, conserve, etc. I just really have problem with the whole ecomentalist movement and the people involved. Some of the most arrogant and irrational people out there.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:37 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Ditch my car? What car?

Old 09-21-2012, 11:46 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,849,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Pipes View Post
Let's have some fun here..........

"Happy Car-Free Week, America!

What? You hadn’t heard? Well, maybe that’s because Car-Free Week is one of those things that the rest of the world celebrates — but us? Not so much. That is, unless you live in Massachusetts, the only state that challenges its residents to spurn the automobile for seven days each year."

Ditch your car this week! We double-dog dare you | Grist
Hi Grandpa Pipes--

Even as a downtown resident, as a full-time law student who isn't currently working elsewhere, ditching the car is an impossibility.

There's no grocery store within walking distance, unless you count a CVS - and if I shopped there, I'd pay a significant premium over Wal-Mart or Kroger's. School is theoretically within walking/biking distance, but that means I'd have to get up 30 minutes earlier. And that isn't happening despite my best intentions. The malls, movie theaters, and even church on Sunday morning are all outside the local bus service areas.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:48 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,514,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
This video has gotten a lot of coverage here in Colorado where it happened.
It is a two lane road with very good shoulders and it gets a lot of bike traffic.
There are bikers that deserve the anger, but these two were legally and safely on a PUBLIC road.
Nobody deserves to be put in danger like that.

What a spiteful country we are.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:50 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,680,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
Hello, Eco-mentalist. Tell me why I'm dumb.

See below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs
I probably could ditch the car, but no way will I do that. Plus, it's an environment thing, which makes me want to drive even more, for spite. Jeremy Clarkson's take on it is pretty much sums up how I feel about it: when told by a guest on Top Gear that he needed to be environmentally aware, he said 'I'm aware of the environment, and I'm still not interested.'

Old 09-21-2012, 11:52 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,837,970 times
I lived in an area which has many weekend bikers replete with their decal plastered skin suits. They would form up on a leader as a gaggle of geese and constanty be outside of their designated lanes. They would also bunch up at intersections spilling further into the right hand lane and impeding the actions of the driver there if he needed to make a right hand turn.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Keep in mind the premise of the thread was a "double-dog dare" by t-wad ...

Question for you: How come you've singled out my response to the "dare" when so many others have posted that not only are their answers to all the questions "NO", but they are heading out to drive all of their consumptive vehicles, ranging from 10 mpg supercharged V-10's to a host of other motor vehicles?

Not mad, just being realistic about the circumstances for a lot of the land area & population of the USA.

Happy to help support the concept of getting out of my car for the day. It was a fun ride and I saved gas, too.

quoting SD4020: "Summary: For the vast majority of people ditching the car is not feasible."

PS: when I was of an age and circumstances presented where I could ride my bicycle 100+ miles per week rather than use a car for business and recreation, I did so. But that's a half-century ago and HUTD ... you may also find yourself someday not physically or situationally able to ride a bicycle in lieu of other practical, functional means of transportation for your needs. "one size fits all" solutions aren't.
I singled yours out only because you sounded the most upset - sorry if I misunderstood. I agree that one size fits all solutions aren't the answer. I don't think the OP was advocating for such. however, it can be argued that in the US the transportation available IS one-size fits all. This is evidenced by the animosity drivers hurl in the direction of cyclists who are legally using the road, while at the same time being unwilling to fund infrastructure improvements that would mitigate risks and also lessen driver "rage."

My mom's in a wheelchair. She has her own issues with the transportation infrastructure of where she lives. I wouldn't advocate her to start cycling, LOL.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I lived in an area which has many weekend bikers replete with their decal plastered skin suits. They would form up on a leader as a gaggle of geese and constanty be outside of their designated lanes. They would also bunch up at intersections spilling further into the right hand lane and impeding the actions of the driver there if he needed to make a right hand turn.
I agree they are silly looking, and I try to get out of the way of the turning vehicles.

But even so - how long is a light cycle, 30 seconds? What happened to patience?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive