Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Vintage vs. Modern performance:
Vintage cars had the edge on performance 4 5.33%
Modern cars have the edge on performance 61 81.33%
Neither is inherently better than the other 10 13.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 11:39 PM

408 posts, read 997,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Alright, as an offshoot of the vintage vs. modern styling thread, and because that thread keeps deviating to talking about performance... which era do you think had the edge on performance?

Was it the days of massive V8's that made massive torque to get two-and-a-half tons of steel and chrome to 0-60 down the boulevard like a Nike missile? The days of open-top, windshield-less British roadsters that were basically sheet metal over a skeletal frame that weighed 1200lbs whose BMC A-series engines could be floored through the corners?

Or is it the today, the era of variable valve timing and twin turbos that launch aerodynamic sedans and coupes from 0-60 in time that was reserved for supercars just a couple decades ago? Where adaptive independent suspension, 50/50 weight distribution, and limited slip differentials allow you to pull over 1 lateral G in the turns?

Gentlemen, start your engines
Where does vintage end and when the modern begin? For me, the era of high-pitched, buzzy engines and light, rather unsafe cars would be my choice. I prefer cars with these qualities that you can toss around while still retaining simple mechanical features, fewer but still helpful electronic aides, and good reliability. Late 80's, early 90's? I don't know, I'm sure there are cars from every era like this but this would be my choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2012, 11:45 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,816,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
News flash, the Viper didn't handle well bone stock either. It's obvious from the video that the muscle car was heavily modified. The Viper not only appeared bone stock, but it also appeared the driver wasn't serious about the race or he didn't want to risk damaging his ride.
I have a bunch more lying in wait for you guys.

The Viper wasn't fair......sheesh! LMAO

All those "goodies" didn't help!

Old 09-26-2012, 11:50 PM

One last one...then I'll let you guys fight amongst yourselves.

Back in about '65 or so... this car would do 0 - 100 and BACK to 0 again in about 10 seconds.

427 Cobra test run - YouTube

Old 09-26-2012, 11:54 PM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,342,308 times
0-100-0

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...all.html?ti=v2

Last edited by lgt; 09-27-2012 at 12:41 AM.. Reason: Corrected info

Old 09-27-2012, 12:03 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
It's a horsepower war. We all know how you guys just hate drag racing........... prowly cuz it makes you all look bad.
I don't hate it. I just don't think it requres as much skill from a driver as rally or F1. All those guys doing burnouts thinking they are race drivers... LOL

Old 09-27-2012, 12:06 AM

2,920 posts, read 2,797,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgt View Post
  1. Porsche 911 Turbo - 0-60-0 mph: 6.16 sec
  2. Porsche Carrera GT - 0-60-0 mph 6.38 sec
  3. Lamborghini Gallardo - 0-60-0 mph 6.39 sec
  4. Mercedes Benz SLR McLaren - 0-60-0 mph 6.42 sec
  5. Ferrari F430 F1 - 0-60-0 mph 6.48 sec
  6. Mercedes Benz CLK DTM AMG - 0-60-0 mph 6.5 sec
  7. Lamborghini Murcielago - 0-60-0 mph 6.61 sec
  8. Porsche 911 GT2 - 0-60-0 mph 6.72 sec
  9. Porsche 911 GT3 - 0-60-0 mph 6.73 sec
  10. Corvette Z06 - 0-60-0 mph 6.76 sec
Looks like 60-0 is typically faster than 0-60. Going off of that my Legacy probably could have done that in less then ten maybe closer to 9. Again I didn't think that car was that fast either.
Electric Tesla 0-60 3.9 seconds

Old 09-27-2012, 12:13 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Look, you can post all the videos you want but it won't make a bit of difference. Ever watch the BBC show Top Gear? What they do to test the car is what we would accept. They take a completely factory car, put a professional race car driver in the car, and drive it around their track as fast as possible. They then put that number on a board to compare to other vehicles. It's always the same track and always a professional race car driver and always a factory stock car. This is the best measure of what a car is capable of for total performance. Your focus is exclusively on straight line racing. Drag racing is fun to watch and is very exciting. It's also the most affordable form of racing one can get into since there are so many drag strips that allow street rods to race. But this thread isn't about that. Look, I'll agree that the stock muscle cars you rave about is superior to the vast majority of cars produced from the mid 1970s to the mid 1990s. However, from the mid 1990s the quality of performance went up and up. We're in the peak of the modern performance era and I wouldn't be surprised if 2013 becomes 1973 all over again. Just hope it doesn't take another ten to fifteen years before performance begins to appear again like before. Today's factory cars stop quicker, corner harder, and are much more safer and more comfortable than ever before. The average family car also accelerates faster than the average family sedan of the past.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:25 AM

2,025 posts, read 4,175,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Look, you can post all the videos you want but it won't make a bit of difference. Ever watch the BBC show Top Gear? What they do to test the car is what we would accept. They take a completely factory car, put a professional race car driver in the car, and drive it around their track as fast as possible. They then put that number on a board to compare to other vehicles. It's always the same track and always a professional race car driver and always a factory stock car. This is the best measure of what a car is capable of for total performance. Your focus is exclusively on straight line racing. Drag racing is fun to watch and is very exciting. It's also the most affordable form of racing one can get into since there are so many drag strips that allow street rods to race. But this thread isn't about that. Look, I'll agree that the stock muscle cars you rave about is superior to the vast majority of cars produced from the mid 1970s to the mid 1990s. However, from the mid 1990s the quality of performance went up and up. We're in the peak of the modern performance era and I wouldn't be surprised if 2013 becomes 1973 all over again. Just hope it doesn't take another ten to fifteen years before performance begins to appear again like before. Today's factory cars stop quicker, corner harder, and are much more safer and more comfortable than ever before. The average family car also accelerates faster than the average family sedan of the past.
Which is what the OP had in mind when he started the thread. I can recall when the holy grail of high performance was 50HP per hole....we can buy that off the showroom in a package that handles, and brakes better than a lead sled, can drive in traffic all day without overheating, doesn't rust out in 3 years, and had a vastly better ability to keep you alive if the fun goes all pear shaped. Rational people may conclude that yes modern cars handle and perform better. It's not rocket science, but plenty of rocket science is incorporated into the cars of today. Brilliant is what I would say.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:31 AM

Even if that 0 to 100 and back to 0 again figure is a little off (and it could be) it's been years since I read up on it....it's still one crazy fast SCARY car. I found this one....it's even better.
Guys....watch that timer at the bottom of your YouTube. That's less than 10 seconds. Looks like about 6.5 to 7.

0-100mph Shelby Cobra - YouTube

Old 09-27-2012, 12:36 AM
lgt

469 posts, read 1,342,308 times
Actually I goofed I posted 0-60-0 times not 0-100-0. I corrected my post with proper info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive