Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 03:14 PM

5,994 posts, read 19,921,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Cadillac is missing the mark with the ATS, in terms of pricing. BMW's 3-series is not the entry level, as that spot is occupied by the 1-series. 3-series pricing for a tighter interior may not be as advantageous as being priced more in line with a 1-series and offering more value. The Cadillac is domestic, so, in theory there should be price/equipment advantages over comparable imports.

The car, itself, looks good, but the prices I have seen for the 2.5l and the 3.6l locally bring back visions of the Cimarron, not in terms of quality, but execution. The 2.5l is the best that GM could do for $39k?

The ATS is better than the XTS, which seems to suffer from an identity crisis. And, being FWD, it may not be a favorite of the car service fleets, but could very easily become the rental queen that was the last DTS.

I looked at both for one of my aunts who wanted to buy an American car, but it looks like she is going back to Mercedes or BMW. If it were around $40k loaded, the ATS would be a compelling argument. I do not fault the car at all, as it is well executed, and handled well in the example I drove, but I would still buy another car for the same price because there's no real advantage of an ATS, unless one wants to buy a Cadillac.
I agree with this. To challenge a long time leader you have to provide a compelling package that either heavily undercuts on price or offers significantly more features or both. You can't show up to the party with an equivalent package and expect everyone to jump ship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2012, 09:06 PM

24,473 posts, read 33,157,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Received a call from a friend who works at the local Scottsdale Cadillac dealer, said they have a few new ATS' in stock and wanted to see if I was going to stop over and check it out Well...how can one refuse that offer?!
If you drive to my house, you can test drive my 1969 and 1976 Cadillacs.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:10 AM

4,857 posts, read 5,777,393 times
I like that gm is putting turbo engines in cars, but why put one in one so big?. They ned a turbo six option for the vette. I know they are luxury cars but id pick a cts-v over an ats for the reason it has less tech in it. Same for bmw. A real drivers car doesnt need such nonsense. Just a radio and engine management and a manual trans.

Old 09-29-2012, 12:15 AM

6,836 posts, read 15,343,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I like that gm is putting turbo engines in cars, but why put one in one so big?. They ned a turbo six option for the vette. I know they are luxury cars but id pick a cts-v over an ats for the reason it has less tech in it. Same for bmw. A real drivers car doesnt need such nonsense. Just a radio and engine management and a manual trans.
damn no hot girls in your car.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:56 AM

4,857 posts, read 5,777,393 times
My car is for me, not them. Lol. Gps, traction control, 18 speakers, hvac. Not needed.

Old 09-29-2012, 07:39 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,409,455 times
Just watched a Motor Trend video comparison test between the ATS and BMW 3 series, both with 2.0L turbo diesel. The track performance was nearly identical. The BMW had a half second edge in0-60 time but it was neck and neck in both quarter mile and track time. Objective driving dynamics, the reporter preferred the ATS. The manual transmission in both cars weren't up to par compared to the overall quality of the cars. It's because of the difference in the manual transmission that the reporter gave the edge to the BMW. In his opinion, if Cadillac perfected their manual transmission then the ATS would beat the BMW.

Old 01-13-2013, 12:40 PM

265 posts, read 594,955 times
When mentioning competitors, why not include the Audi A4? Similar price, AWD, and an "upper end" brand name. Beat MB and BMW in Car and Driver comparos up and down the line the last few years.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:10 PM

3 posts, read 2,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
No interest in either. Don't get me wrong, both are great vehicles but not something I'd care to drive on a regular basis and I'm still leery of the quality of Chrysler products.

I thought about trading the 2010 F-150 off this winter and trading up to a 2013 with Ecoboost, but the more I think about it, the more I'd like to get a car to commute and save the truck for pulling the boat. Just mulling the idea around in my head, I won't buy anything anyway until this winter at least. Thought about a slightly used 2012 CTS but I'd really like the CUE interface if I was getting a vehicle to commute in each day. Thought about a used 2009-2010 Mercedes S400 or S550 as well but not sure about buying a used Mercedes without a warranty.

But I'm going to check the ATS out and will post impressions Thursday or Friday.
I owned a 2011 Dodge Avenger Heat package fully loaded. Touch screen, no NAV. 283 HP. Not bad but it had a stalling issue. Took it to the dealer tons of times. Fixed this, replaced that, computer diagnostics. Everything........NOTHING!!!!

Problem???? After talking to Chrysler Group enginners by phone, monthly payments returned to me, rental cars, etc.
Someone, "inadvertently" put the wrong software on the vehicle. How does someone do that??? Someone could've been seriously hurt or killed. It was fixed but would not buy another Dodge / Chrysler product.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:34 PM

3,278 posts, read 5,351,971 times
I am not a fan of the ATS myself. First off, the non-digital gauges are ugly as heck and belong in a 1999 Pontiac Crapmobile.

Secondly, the rear seat space is too tight. The ATS is a CTS-length.

Thridly, it is priced too high for what it is. BMW can get away with certain things Cadillac can not.

If I was shopping in the segment, I would probably go with an A4, G37 or 3-Series. If I wanted a domestic, I would get a 300C, 200C or Lacrosse 3.6L.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive