Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 09:13 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,220,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I just zipper merge anyways when there's heavy traffic. I understand not everyone will let me in when my lane ends but it's ok.. someone else behind them will eventually. I will ride right on the lane boundary and weasel my way in, ignoring all the frivolous honking.

Let's say I get ahead of 20 cars on average by doing this. And there's a 10% chance (very pessimistic) a driver will let me in. So on average, I get ahead of 10 cars.

The one exception is if you try to pull this in a lane that exits out instead of simply ending. Then they'll force you to take the exit instead of letting you in. So don't try to pull this on a new route..
And there it is - the real (and very obvious) reason that some people rush to the head of the line when they've got plenty of time to merge earlier. Everything else is just an excuse.

It's all about getting ahead of the other guy, and the folks in the lane being merged into know that that is what it's about - you think that you somehow deserve to be ahead of everyone else. That's why people are less than inclined to let you in when you play that childish game.

At least ragnarker admits it and doesn't beat around the bush about it or insult our intelligence by trying to come up with some other excuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 11:02 AM

2,366 posts, read 2,627,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And there it is - the real (and very obvious) reason that some people rush to the head of the line when they've got plenty of time to merge earlier. Everything else is just an excuse.

It's all about getting ahead of the other guy, and the folks in the lane being merged into know that that is what it's about - you think that you somehow deserve to be ahead of everyone else. That's why people are less than inclined to let you in when you play that childish game.

At least ragnarker admits it and doesn't beat around the bush about it or insult our intelligence by trying to come up with some other excuse.
No, it's about lane efficiently and not disrupting the flow of traffic or not make it worst. You do not deserve to squeeze into a tight space holding up both the merging lane and the right lane of the traffic. The merging lane has an ending for a reason, use it when necessary. I also suggest you find what a yield sign means as that is what merging traffic must do anyway.

Most of them are located along ramps to highways used for acceleration, not stop and stick out in front of vehicles.

Last edited by Phyxius; 10-04-2012 at 11:13 AM..

Old 10-04-2012, 12:18 PM

1,834 posts, read 2,683,251 times
The problem in USA is due to the fact there is no standard on the length of the ramp on lane. Some areas are short and if one is at highway speed and the traffic is blocking a merge then watch out.

Old 10-04-2012, 12:26 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,401,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyxius View Post
No, it's about lane efficiently and not disrupting the flow of traffic or not make it worst. You do not deserve to squeeze into a tight space holding up both the merging lane and the right lane of the traffic. The merging lane has an ending for a reason, use it when necessary. I also suggest you find what a yield sign means as that is what merging traffic must do anyway.

Most of them are located along ramps to highways used for acceleration, not stop and stick out in front of vehicles.
Wish i could rep you more...

Old 04-04-2013, 10:05 PM

14,799 posts, read 21,401,039 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrmS_CqQQ-I

Now this is how you merge!

Old 04-05-2013, 09:43 AM

6,513 posts, read 7,515,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Like a pro!

Old 04-05-2013, 10:04 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,330,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
The problem in USA is due to the fact there is no standard on the length of the ramp on lane. Some areas are short and if one is at highway speed and the traffic is blocking a merge then watch out.
The problem in the US is that it's WAY to easy to get a drivers license. Incompetent drivers blame the road, if the ramp length was truly an issue it would effect everyone, but clearly it doesn't.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:18 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,485,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankees1212 View Post
Just two days ago, I put my blinker on to go right and into the middle lane, saw that the middle lane was clear, and proceeded to look over my shoulder and somehow saw the guy in the right lane moving into the center lane. Keep in mind his blinker was not on and he cautiously beeped at me to not change lanes. The same scenario played itself out 10 seconds later with me being once again the one aware of the other driver and once again yielding to that person.
How about folks who cross solid lines and jump as quickly as possible into the right lane during merging and then pretend like they have right of way over folks who are trying to merge in a sane manner ahead?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
The problem is were is the correct point to merge over? 1/10 mile, 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, one mile, in advance? Many times I've been in a lane that is ending, but moving 50 mph. I decide to move over, so I slam on my brakes. So I can merger into the next lane, which is moving 15 mph stop and go because of the merging traffic ahead. After I get in the 15 mph lane, I watch 10 or 20 cars pass me on the right, and they all merge way up in front of me.

Just because there is plenty of chance to get over, I don't think the driver is necessarily wrong to stay in that lane as long as he can. It's his choice to decide how soon to move over. And even if he is wrong to wait till then end of the lane, its still not right not to let him merge. Two wrongs don't make a right. Not letting people move over is just dangerous, and irresponsible.
I don't mind them but I also know that (most) they were driving in left lane and then they quickly (and in unsafe manner) jumped into the merging right lane and then were trying to zip-along and running over shoulder for a while and hoping someone would let them in! Essentially just to gain may be a couple of cars of length they do it everyday and some of you will think they are doing the right thing!!

Old 09-21-2014, 06:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,034 times
I drive a truck in California and my biggest annoyance is people not knowing how to merge onto the freeway. I spend all my time in the slow lane doing 55, if you can't get your 4 wheeler up to 60 to get in front of me I'm not moving or slowing down for you. Lane changes are a major cause of commercial accidents and I won't risk my job because you can't merge. I won't slow down because I don't have the time. It takes me three minutes to go from 45 to 55 and if I had to do that everytime someone merged it would add a lot of time to my work day. Not happening. If you sit next to me while merging I have no problem pushing you onto the shoulder and you can try to merge again once your behind me. Pay attention to trucks folks, we are underpayed, overworked, slow, slow to stop, blind spots and just generally grumpy. Learn to merge!

Old 09-22-2014, 10:04 AM

25,764 posts, read 16,379,252 times
I love it when they merge at 40 mph and then take a mile to speed up to freeway speed. Often after they read all their texts and emails then they take off like the space shuttle tailgating and cutting everyone off in sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive