U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 11:54 AM
tcb

198 posts, read 461,677 times

Advertisements

I've seen people do it out of state and just thought they were really weird as we drove by them since it's normal to drive in the rain/snow or whatever for me I don't think much of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 03:58 PM

10,526 posts, read 11,328,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd7I4 View Post
Ummm, maybe because it's ILLEGAL and DANGEROUS in the context that I mentioned? Ya think?
It's not illegal in my state, and how is it dangerous? They are alerting you that you'll need to slow down because they are having trouble seeing the road.

Old 10-09-2007, 05:18 PM

7,041 posts, read 9,733,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
It's not illegal in my state, and how is it dangerous? They are alerting you that you'll need to slow down because they are having trouble seeing the road.
I see there is alot of confusion on this issue now. My guess is you have no idea what the state law is and taking whatever info you have on the subject out of context.

I didn't find anything online for NY but the law for Mass is very clear:
Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 90, Section 7. Emergency lights are "to be operated only when the vehicle is disabled or stopped in the event of emergency on or at the side of any way."

And, I truly doubt a neighboring state would have a road rule so blatantly different from another. Not saying you are lying, you just misunderstand.

I thought I was clear in my first post but, to aid those inexperienced drivers - This is the danger:
1.) Since laws in most (all?) states say you only use flashers when parked then when you approach a vehicle in your lane with flashers in front of you then you assume he is also parked. You are then forced into an emergency lane change. It just causes general confusion which is inherently dangerous.
2.) With flashers your turn signals and brake lights are disabled (which makes sense, the car manufacturer assumes you only used them when stopped).
3.) During rain conditions flashing lights are both distracting and somewhat blinding to other drivers due to water reflections.

As well as Prettygrl article on the first page of posts, also check out this article:

Keep your hazard lights off while driving -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Old 10-10-2007, 12:43 PM

951 posts, read 515,799 times
Quote:
2.) With flashers your turn signals and brake lights are disabled (which makes sense, the car manufacturer assumes you only used them when stopped).
Not always true, depending on the vehicle in question. Many vehicles have separate brake and turn signals. It would disable the signals on my Pathfinder, but not the brake lights. If the brake and signals are using the same lamps, say and older domestic pick-up, then you are correct.

Thanks for the info on the Mass law since I do live there.

As a side bar, I believe the Europeans have a distinct advantage over us in the operations of signals, etc. They seem to get it. We here in the US can't even muster the energy to move that stalk on the left side of the steering column.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:16 PM

67 posts, read 356,556 times
Quote:
Simple rules of driving in the rain:

rule #1 - drive slower with headlights and wipers on
rule #2 - do not use your emergency flashers while driving
rule #3 - DO NOT use your emergency flashers while driving!

So how did so many idiots come up with the habit of using these emergency flashers during a heavy rain? I;m driving along slowly in the right lane minding my own business, then in front of me I see flashers. Immideately I'm thinkin, oh no, acccident in from of me and I am ready to take emergency action, hitting my brakes, whatever. Get closer and see it is some dummy that scared to death to drive in the rain with his hands holding the death grip on the steering wheel. Pass him, drive a half mile, and see another car in front of me with flashers, repeat above (prepare for emergeny and evasive driving), only to see another idiot, bug-eyed at the windshield, apparantly thinking driving with this flashing lights is a legitimate safety process, which look so much like an advertisment saying "i am an idiot, I am an idiot, I am an idiot" every second.

People - the ONLY time you use your flashers is if you are stopped on the side of the road. That is, to be clear, you are PARKED. Do not use them while you are driving, I don't care if a rain of biblical proportions is coming down, do not use them. We can see you if you put your lights on. The ONLY result of using flashers is the person behind you becomes confused, maybe slams on his brakes, maybe panics, at the very least he will be compelled to pass you lest he have these distracting flashing lights in his vision, and thus cause an inherently dangerous situation for both you and him.

If you are too scared to dive in the rain, pull over and park and wait for the rain to pass (and then, if it makes you happy, use your flashers to your hearts content).

Finally, if that's not enough to convince you, it the LAW - don't use your damn flashers while you are driving!
NEVER use Cruise Control should be #1.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:34 PM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
598 posts, read 1,507,301 times
Quote:
Simple rules of driving in the rain:

rule #1 - drive slower with headlights and wipers on
rule #2 - do not use your emergency flashers while driving
rule #3 - DO NOT use your emergency flashers while driving!

So how did so many idiots come up with the habit of using these emergency flashers during a heavy rain? I;m driving along slowly in the right lane minding my own business, then in front of me I see flashers. Immideately I'm thinkin, oh no, acccident in from of me and I am ready to take emergency action, hitting my brakes, whatever. Get closer and see it is some dummy that scared to death to drive in the rain with his hands holding the death grip on the steering wheel. Pass him, drive a half mile, and see another car in front of me with flashers, repeat above (prepare for emergeny and evasive driving), only to see another idiot, bug-eyed at the windshield, apparantly thinking driving with this flashing lights is a legitimate safety process, which look so much like an advertisment saying "i am an idiot, I am an idiot, I am an idiot" every second.

People - the ONLY time you use your flashers is if you are stopped on the side of the road. That is, to be clear, you are PARKED. Do not use them while you are driving, I don't care if a rain of biblical proportions is coming down, do not use them. We can see you if you put your lights on. The ONLY result of using flashers is the person behind you becomes confused, maybe slams on his brakes, maybe panics, at the very least he will be compelled to pass you lest he have these distracting flashing lights in his vision, and thus cause an inherently dangerous situation for both you and him.

If you are too scared to dive in the rain, pull over and park and wait for the rain to pass (and then, if it makes you happy, use your flashers to your hearts content).

Finally, if that's not enough to convince you, it the LAW - don't use your damn flashers while you are driving!
Thanks for the info,I've often wondered about this myself,but never looked into what the law was.The first time I ever saw it,I thought the person was in trouble but that wasn't the case.I see it all the time now.

Old 10-10-2007, 02:08 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,368,892 times
Quote:
So how did so many idiots come up with the habit of using these emergency flashers during a heavy rain?

Speaking for myself, seeing "flashers" blinking in a heavy rain is much appreciated.

With that said, "loose cannons", such as people driving with road rage, shouldn't even be on the road.

I'll use one example when I thanked the stars above that people were smart enough to alert other drivers to a potential driving hazard a few miles up the HWY by using their "flashers".

Driving through New Mexico Route 66...Albuquereque/Tijeras Canyon/Clines Corners area with an elevation of 7,000 feet where the weather changes from one minute to the next...and everyone including semi-trucks had their flashers/hazard lights on, while moving.
Hmmm, I see HAZARD lights in the distance...first thing that comes to mind is "proceed with caution"...not "what an idiot".

It was a heavy rain, which turned to sleet and extremely icy road conditions in a matter of minutes...which in turn started a chain reaction of accidents from "Mario Andretti" types who think they are invincible to poor driving conditions (ie.,heavy rain, snow, sleet, fog) and can't decipher what hazard lights blinking represents...

Old 10-10-2007, 03:53 PM

7,041 posts, read 9,733,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybythebay View Post
I'll use one example when I thanked the stars above that people were smart enough to alert other drivers to a potential driving hazard a few miles up the HWY by using their "flashers".
Ahh the California drivers that don't know how to drive in the rain, come to Florida to see Disney World with the familty and freak out at daily rainshowers...gotta love 'em. You are EXACTLY the id...., ummm, the misunderstood driver type that I am talking about.

Lets arrive at a compromise, do what you want in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, you guys do everything opposite there anyways. But don't do it in Florida, OK?

Old 10-10-2007, 04:12 PM

1,921 posts, read 6,368,892 times
Quote:
Ahh the California drivers that don't know how to drive in the rain, come to Florida to see Disney World with the familty and freak out at daily rainshowers...gotta love 'em. You are EXACTLY the id...., ummm, the misunderstood driver type that I am talking about.

Lets arrive at a compromise, do what you want in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia, you guys do everything opposite there anyways. But don't do it in Florida, OK?

Like I said "loose cannon"....^^^LOL
I wasn't making the comment about "daily rainshowers"...I think you're term was and I quote:
Quote:
heavy rain

BTW, sweety, I don't live in California.

Old 10-10-2007, 05:04 PM

18,045 posts, read 23,016,546 times
Go ahead, call me a liar again. But in this state, we are required to operate flashers when below minimum speed.

I've also see signs in other states that say, "When below minimum speed, operate flashers".

So go ahead, call me a liar. I know what I know and I'll stand by it.

You think you know everything because you read a drivers manual. Let me tell you slick, the drivers manual doesn't cover 1 tenth of the laws. So think what you want to think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive