Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 02:17 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,468,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
good people end up in bad places in Boston...
Hey I'm gonna use that line for me and Philly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 02:24 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,111,105 times
I'd say in general US cities are difficult to drive in and I have lived and/or worked in several: NYC, Boston, San Francisco, Providence, and others.

But parking and driving are different, and road wear is probably a third category.

In my experience, Boston was harder to park than Manhattan. I could get a garage spot in nearly any neighbourhood in NYC, but not in Boston.

Hillside had some good answers.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:39 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,055,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwarky View Post
What are the most difficult U.S. cities to drive in and/or to own a car, due to density, narrow streets, small amounts of parking space, etc.?

Indianapolis,Indiana 11th Largest city in America with a MSA of 2,300,000 is the most easiest Large city to get around in most cases you can go from one end of town to the other in about 30 minutes plus Indianapolis is larger than Los Angeles in terms of land but Indy's population is almost 4 times as less as Los Angeles so the density if very low and even though Indy doesnt have alot of parking available the city-county council is working quickly to solve that problem and Indy has like 6 dozen Highways and about 7 interstates

Old 09-09-2010, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 6,051 times
Boston, MA without a doubt. There are areas where you have 3 different right hand turns to pick from at a stop light with a bunch of crazies honking at you relentlessly.

Old 09-09-2010, 12:24 PM

513 posts, read 541,038 times
Boston gets my vote also - streets from colonial times + modern day traffic = nightmare.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:53 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
Hands down---Boston. No contest. (But there would be a contest if Montreal was in the USA. Due to the drivers, not to any topological factors.)

Chicago and Atlanta are bad, too. I haven't been in Austin lately, but people from there say it is becoming a traffic nightmare.

Old 09-10-2010, 04:28 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,902,960 times
I've never driven in Boston but it sounds bad. I've never driven in the city of Pittsburgh either, but I was stuck in Clarion for a while during an ice storm last December and saw the Pitt news channels with all the cars sliding down the hills. I've driven in Philly a couple of times...NE Phila seemed okay for driving but it's newer. Downtown sucked, worse than Manhattan to me, that big traffic square, lots of no left turns, etc. I did okay in Manhattan, actually. Actually broke 50 MPH on Broadway that night. Pedestrians are pretty smart (they seem to know when you're going to give them right of way and when you're not) and the only way to drive there is to be as nasty as the locals. I did well cutting off taxis and Town Cars. My worst city for driving? Niagara Falls, ON. Hills, curvy streets, and stupid tourist pedestrians. Chicago is a bit challenging too. Detroit's only bad in the wintertime as the local municipalities have gotten stingy with the salt. Toronto isn't bad for as dense as it is, except for those darn pedestrians again, and the bicyclists that won't stay in the bike lane. Las Vegas is bad too, with the lost tourists driving around, a fender bender around every corner, and the Californians riding their motorcycles between cars.

Old 09-10-2010, 05:16 PM

2,166 posts, read 3,381,799 times
Orlando at rush hour is trying on the nerves. A combination of senior citizens, clueless tourists, and Latino immigrants means that traffic laws are only a suggestion. I've driven in plenty of large cities before, but Orlando takes the cake for worst I've had to put up with.

Chicago driving really isn't that bad unless you get stuck on the Kennedy or Eisenhower at rush hour. They basically turn into parking lots. Chicago drivers are very aggressive but competent.

I've driven in Atlanta and didn't think it was that bad traffic-wise. The freeways are a mess to navigate though.

Old 09-10-2010, 06:56 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,810,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
I thought Boston was a hard city to drive in- crazy one ways going in every which direction, narrow streets and not to mention... someone honking their horn every 10 seconds, LOL.

I found San Francisco an easy city to navigate but parking is a nightmare! Have you ever tried parallel parking on a 45 degree hill in a space that's so tight that you have about plus/minus 12 inches between cars?
I agree Boston was the worse city for just those reason. Then try to park. Narrow streets with no parking signs everywhere and cars parked half on the sidewalk anyway. Bascaily no parking provide unless you out of downtown area.Alos its not uncommon for a stranger to take waht los like a across street then end up driving in a sqaure to a deadend. Its might be better since the big dig project but it lacked any real freeway system or loops.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:04 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,460,769 times
How could it not be Boston?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive