U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 08:56 AM

1,493 posts, read 2,566,010 times

Advertisements

Personally I think there are a lot better ways to save down the road than focusing on timing chain. However, if you want 4 cyl, timing chain, reliability, although they don't make them anymore, the Acura RSX.

Early 90s Nissan 240sx had chain too. I'm not sure about the newer generation Nissan 240sx (S14) model, but I believe its chain as well. I had 170k miles on my Nissan and that thing held up like a beast. I would certainly get it again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 10:39 AM

2,698 posts, read 9,458,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Glad I found this topic. I have a 2005 Honda Accord 6 cyl. EX, with 67,000 miles on it, great condition. Having a service appt. tomorrow because I'm going on a 900 mile trip south from the northeast, and have AAA. The garage guy suggested, in addition to its regular service checkup and fluid levels, tires, oil etc. etc. that I replace the timing belt. When he said $500 I almost spit out my morning coffee. He said "just in case you have a problem along the way, after all you are driving alone." Well, that's a hunk of money for a "just in case" on a well maintained car.
Run, don't walk, from this mechanic. As has been suggested, check your owner's manual, but you shouldn't need a timing belt until at least 100K miles. Now, you may need a SERPENTINE BELT at 60K, but that shouldn't cost more than a half hour of labor (plus the belt cost) and that's pushing it. Then again, I doubt you need that, either. My wife's 04 Accord LX (4 cylinder) has similar mileage and her belt looks like new.

Mike

Old 10-09-2012, 11:51 AM

9,830 posts, read 12,897,431 times
Quote:
Glad I found this topic. I have a 2005 Honda Accord 6 cyl. EX, with 67,000 miles on it, great condition. Having a service appt. tomorrow because I'm going on a 900 mile trip south from the northeast, and have AAA. The garage guy suggested, in addition to its regular service checkup and fluid levels, tires, oil etc. etc. that I replace the timing belt. When he said $500 I almost spit out my morning coffee. He said "just in case you have a problem along the way, after all you are driving alone." Well, that's a hunk of money for a "just in case" on a well maintained car.

Whaddy'a think? he has a busy garage but I wonder if he is just looking for extra! I won't take it to the local Honda dealer anymore because they are vultures. They sold me a new battery about 2 mos. ago (the one in there was only 2 yrs. old. Car wouldn't start due to loosebattery cable as I found out later.) So they put in a new battery to the tune of $115, and left a battery cable loose! so it wouldn't start the next day. I was furious when the above garage man came over, put a wrench to the cable connection, and running like a charm now. Yes, I reported the dealer to Honda. Those service guys at the front "bench" make more money off us ladies than you can imagine.

Thanks, appreciate your replies pls.
Guys a theif or an idiot. You have AAA and you are driving on the east coast, not in Alaska.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:17 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,125,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Run, don't walk, from this mechanic. As has been suggested, check your owner's manual, but you shouldn't need a timing belt until at least 100K miles. Now, you may need a SERPENTINE BELT at 60K, but that shouldn't cost more than a half hour of labor (plus the belt cost) and that's pushing it. Then again, I doubt you need that, either. My wife's 04 Accord LX (4 cylinder) has similar mileage and her belt looks like new.

Mike
I believe the 4 cyl. Accords (03-07) have a timing chain, but the V6 models have a timing belt.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:16 PM

10,128 posts, read 13,940,597 times
Default 2004 Accord Timing belt

Thanks so much to all of you, the guy evidently has no scruples. I wanted to tell him I was born at night, but it wasn't last night!

(My error in title above, it's a 2005 Honda Accord 6 cyl. EX, not a 2004).

Old 10-09-2012, 04:42 PM

2,698 posts, read 9,458,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
I believe the 4 cyl. Accords (03-07) have a timing chain, but the V6 models have a timing belt.
Right, but I was referring to the serpentine (accessory) belt on my wife's car, not the timing belt/chain.

Mike

Old 10-09-2012, 06:25 PM

2,777 posts, read 2,537,687 times
I had a (Toyota 22RE engine) with a chain and it cost $1100 to replace the chain at 170K.

My current truck has the 5.9 Cummins diesel that has timing gears. IIRC the service interval is 500K on that engine.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:24 AM

3,970 posts, read 5,502,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
The older subarus (I had an 82 brat) were gear on gear. I wonder why they went away from that. I liked that car. 30+mpg, performed great in snow and on logging trails, and I, a relative mechanical dufus, could do a lot of the work myself. I had to change the alternator out once, and it was like a 5 minute job. I asked my mechanic about the timing chain when my milage was getting up there, and he told me it was gear on gear, and not to worry about it.
Depending on the engine design, there can be some torque reversal on the gears when the opposing valves close. This causes excessive wear and engine noise, especially in higher RPM engines (4 cyl). Roller chains and belts alleviate both issues. I've never once had a timing chain fail on a personal vehicle.

The biggest enemies to timing belts are heat and leaking motor oil (both can degrade the rubber). Unfortunately, both are likely to exist under a hood.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:45 AM

18,020 posts, read 16,317,233 times
The Honda Fit has a timing chain.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:32 AM

15,802 posts, read 18,264,592 times
Quote:

Whaddy'a think? he has a busy garage but I wonder if he is just looking for extra! I won't take it to the local Honda dealer anymore because they are vultures. They sold me a new battery about 2 mos. ago (the one in there was only 2 yrs. old. Car wouldn't start due to loosebattery cable as I found out later.) So they put in a new battery to the tune of $115, and left a battery cable loose! so it wouldn't start the next day. I was furious when the above garage man came over, put a wrench to the cable connection, and running like a charm now. Yes, I reported the dealer to Honda. Those service guys at the front "bench" make more money off us ladies than you can imagine.

Thanks, appreciate your replies pls.
Your post is exactly why I came to read this thread this am. I am looking at 90,000 on my 02' Honda Accord, 4 cyl. automatic. I am aware there are certain maintenance type things that I should be considering now. How do I find a list, or a way to know what in particular is good maintenance to consider right now.
My concern is I have less confidence in my local Honda dealer than I should. I have had oil changes at the local Honda dealer since moving back here in 04'. I began to get worried about their service abilities when I was told my windshield wiper fluid tank was cracked....and later discovered it was just the hose that had pulled away. Hmmm....I sure felt like this was one of those made up reasons to fix something....I didn't buy the new tank....the hose was found much later by my son. Can I visually see if the belt is good?? If so, how? Belt? Chain?
I am afraid of letting that dealer touch my car now. I was told last fall that the timing belt needs to be looked at...is this something I should be looking at, I had no knowledge it was so major til my son was working on his old Honda he just bought, and mentioned if it breaks you're engine is shot. How can I best go about getting this and anything needed checked, and know I'm not getting ripped off. I have had car repair places in past, different cities, with different cars that I trusted immensely...I haven't found that here. Am I just being paranoid or is there a sure way to find a decent place locally. My car has had no repairs ever, am sort of afraid to let anyone start....Anyone have any ideas or suggestions, Thank you.
Mod...if you think I should just start a thread please advise.

Last edited by JanND; 10-10-2012 at 06:42 AM.. Reason: edit
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or