U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 07:49 AM

2,598 posts, read 5,017,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Your post is exactly why I came to read this thread this am. I am looking at 90,000 on my 02' Honda Accord, 4 cyl. automatic. I am aware there are certain maintenance type things that I should be considering now. How do I find a list, or a way to know what in particular is good maintenance to consider right now.
My concern is I have less confidence in my local Honda dealer than I should. I have had oil changes at the local Honda dealer since moving back here in 04'. I began to get worried about their service abilities when I was told my windshield wiper fluid tank was cracked....and later discovered it was just the hose that had pulled away. Hmmm....I sure felt like this was one of those made up reasons to fix something....I didn't buy the new tank....the hose was found much later by my son. Can I visually see if the belt is good?? If so, how? Belt? Chain?
I am afraid of letting that dealer touch my car now. I was told last fall that the timing belt needs to be looked at...is this something I should be looking at, I had no knowledge it was so major til my son was working on his old Honda he just bought, and mentioned if it breaks you're engine is shot. How can I best go about getting this and anything needed checked, and know I'm not getting ripped off. I have had car repair places in past, different cities, with different cars that I trusted immensely...I haven't found that here. Am I just being paranoid or is there a sure way to find a decent place locally. My car has had no repairs ever, am sort of afraid to let anyone start....Anyone have any ideas or suggestions, Thank you.
Mod...if you think I should just start a thread please advise.
Well, using the advice I gave in my first post, I have determined that your car DOES have a timing belt. RockAuto also says your engine is what is known as an interference engine, so your son is correct when he says the damage from it breaking can be catastrophic. Best advice is to consult your manual and follow its recommended interval. For most cars, that's 100K miles. It's generally recommended to have the water pump replaced at the same time because getting at the pump basically requires the same labor it takes to replace the belt, so you'll save costs in the long run. You don't have to, of course, but I know many do.

As for finding a good shop in your area, try review websites like www.yelp.com. Finding one that specializes in Japanese vehicles is best, but ultimately not necessary since Japanese vehicles have become popular enough that most mechanics feel comfortable working on them.

Mike
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2012, 07:53 AM

8,394 posts, read 7,474,244 times
WhiteboySLO....Mike....Thank you so much. It is a lot of help to know where to start!!

Old 10-10-2012, 08:22 AM

1,158 posts, read 2,306,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Right, but I was referring to the serpentine (accessory) belt on my wife's car, not the timing belt/chain.

Mike
Gotcha! Sorry about that..

Old 10-10-2012, 11:29 AM

748 posts, read 908,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Your post is exactly why I came to read this thread this am. I am looking at 90,000 on my 02' Honda Accord, 4 cyl. automatic. I am aware there are certain maintenance type things that I should be considering now. How do I find a list, or a way to know what in particular is good maintenance to consider right now.
My concern is I have less confidence in my local Honda dealer than I should. I have had oil changes at the local Honda dealer since moving back here in 04'. I began to get worried about their service abilities when I was told my windshield wiper fluid tank was cracked....and later discovered it was just the hose that had pulled away. Hmmm....I sure felt like this was one of those made up reasons to fix something....I didn't buy the new tank....the hose was found much later by my son. Can I visually see if the belt is good?? If so, how? Belt? Chain?
I am afraid of letting that dealer touch my car now. I was told last fall that the timing belt needs to be looked at...is this something I should be looking at, I had no knowledge it was so major til my son was working on his old Honda he just bought, and mentioned if it breaks you're engine is shot. How can I best go about getting this and anything needed checked, and know I'm not getting ripped off. I have had car repair places in past, different cities, with different cars that I trusted immensely...I haven't found that here. Am I just being paranoid or is there a sure way to find a decent place locally. My car has had no repairs ever, am sort of afraid to let anyone start....Anyone have any ideas or suggestions, Thank you.
Mod...if you think I should just start a thread please advise.
2002 4 cylinder Accords have belts. I forget the engine number, but they switched to the 2.4L in 2003 which does have a timing chain. The best way to inspect the condition of the belt would be to remove the upper timing cover. You could remove both covers but you'd be getting very involved. Either way, it'd probably be best to assume it hasn't been replaced and just replace it, unless there are repair records for this car that say the timing belt has been replaced recently.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:05 PM
Status: "The new party of NO, the Democrat Party." (set 26 days ago)

3,062 posts, read 1,219,222 times
'02 VW Passat here. Manual recommends change every 90,000, which we have had done by a non-dealership mechanic, twice. This year's was $726, including water pump, as a "While I have the thing taken apart, might as well do this as a preventive step." No complaints on my part, though I doubt we'll still have the car at 270,000.

Btw, the engine "problems" are mainly related to oil sludge and folks too cheap to burn high octane. We have done both over the past 11 years, and nary a hint of engine problems. Just came back from a quick 600 mile weekend roadtrip and got 32 mpg.

Old 10-10-2012, 02:57 PM

1,593 posts, read 2,280,846 times
All Honda 4-cylinder engines now use timing chains.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:07 PM

1,593 posts, read 2,280,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNT_Eagle View Post
I believe the 4 cyl. Accords (03-07) have a timing chain, but the V6 models have a timing belt.
Correct. Same on 08-12. 4-cyl is a chain, V6 is a belt (or 2 belts, not sure).

(Not yet sure if the 2013 continues the "tradition." It would be nice if the V6 finally got chained as well.)

In any case, ALL 4-cylinder Hondas sold in the US from 2006 on have a chain.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:31 PM

8,394 posts, read 7,474,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
2002 4 cylinder Accords have belts. I forget the engine number, but they switched to the 2.4L in 2003 which does have a timing chain. The best way to inspect the condition of the belt would be to remove the upper timing cover. You could remove both covers but you'd be getting very involved. Either way, it'd probably be best to assume it hasn't been replaced and just replace it, unless there are repair records for this car that say the timing belt has been replaced recently.
I have put all but the first 3 miles on this car....no, it hasn't been replaced. That's why I'm checking....to get an idea of what and when to be doing the appropriate preventative maintenance at the near 100,000 miles. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 10-10-2012, 04:27 PM

340 posts, read 931,951 times
Prius

Old 10-10-2012, 04:57 PM

8,287 posts, read 8,141,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
I'm looking to buy a 4cyl car that gets good gas mileage but I'm considering total cost of ownership. Not having to replace a timing belt is a savings of about $500 or more but I can't find any good info on what 4 cyl cars have timing chains. I 'm trying to figure out what is the cheapest car overall to own etc, gas,maintenance, insurance.
I own a 2006 Toyota Camry with a 4 cylinder engine. It has a timing chain. (the 2006 V6 has a belt)

I don't know which cars you're considering, but here is a link to Toyota with a list of the cars that have chains and belts by model, cylinder & year.

Toyota Help Faq
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive