Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 04:20 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,654,900 times

Advertisements

I posted this question on the Chicago board with a little different wording, here is one answer I got.

Question: "What do you do when the traffic light turns yellow?"
Answer: "You step on it"
LOL

Old 10-12-2012, 04:39 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,533 times
If you could not safely come to a complete stop, you may be able to fight it. However, speeding is not an excuse.

Old 10-12-2012, 04:39 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
I know, that is why I am slowing way down at every light because I don't know when it will turn yel-RED! It will probably annoy the person behind me.

See this article...
Yes, because that's what everyone is supposed to do at traffic signals. I clearly remember the driver's handbook when I was learning to drive: "In the event the driver is nearing an intersection, driver is to randomly slow way down so as to reduce the possibly of running a yellow signal light." Yes, that was it. The plethora of accidents and traffic disruption this will cause is obviously offset by the few tickets that won't be handed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Millions of people manage to get through traffic lights without crashing or getting tickets. No need to panic.
Very true. Many people shouldn't be allowed to drive, either.

Red light stop, green light go, yellow light go very fast.

Everyone knows this.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:31 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,639,531 times
I anticipate the yellow signal. If I see cars waiting at the corner of the intersection intersection, there is a chance it might change. I slow down in advance prior to reaching the signal. Pedestrian countdowns do help when available. I like to check my mirrors before approaching the intersection to see if anyone is closing in behind me. If they are close, I will slow down momentarily until I know that I can cross the intersection whether the signal remains green or it turns yellow. You are free to cross the intersection when the signal turns yellow. Red light cameras do not activate until you cross the stop line on red.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:57 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,064,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
How do you cope? If you go through, you get a ticket. If you don't, you wait for the crash to come. I am a nervous wreck driving now and don't have any idea what to do! My friends car was totaled because she stopped, I hear crashes because somebody stopped. If you get 3 moving violations, you lose your license. If you stop you might lose your car or possibly get killed.
What do you do?
Move somewhere they don't do this chit. Seriously.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:59 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
'Yellow' time for traffic lights as mandated by FDOT and set by the speed limit of the road.
30 mph or less 3.5 sec
35 mph 4.0 sec
40 mph 4.0 sec
45 mph 4.3 sec
Many cities have been caught shaving .5 to 1.2 seconds from the yellow time to increase revenue.
In Florida, even if you stop at the light but the front wheels are over the white line, you will be cited for $158. You will also receive a citation if while making a right turn, you stop over the white line and then make the turn. According to the cities with the revenue camera scam, you have to stop twice to make a right turn. Once before the white line and then again at the corner to see if you can proceed safely.
So, assume that the yellow time has been reduced and drive 10 mph slower at camera locations. Find another route to where you want to go by avoiding the camera location. Note that locations are selected to generate the most revenue, not necessarily a location that has high incidences of vehicle crashes.
And don't buy the mantra 'it's for your safety'. It's all about the amount of revenue that can be made.
In Georgia, the legislature passed a law that required any traffic light that has a camera to add one second to the state required time. Amazing that the amount of people being cited for a violation dropped so much that the camera companies abandoned the cameras because they were not making enough money. [it's all about the money]

Old 10-12-2012, 08:33 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
know the law before you post
169.06 SIGNS, SIGNALS, MARKINGS.

(i) Vehicular traffic facing a steady circular yellow or yellow arrow signal is thereby warned that the related green movement is being terminated or that a red indication will be exhibited immediately thereafter when vehicular traffic must not enter the intersection, except for the continued movement allowed by any green arrow indication simultaneously exhibited.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/statutes/...9.06&year=2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
THis is BS. Otherwise, you'd get a ticket AT THE SPEED LIMIT if you were, say, 6 ft from the intersection when the light went yellow (as no car can stop from even 25 mph in 6 ft). Think about it before you post.
do a search for uniform traffic code and educate yourself.
if you take the time you will actually see that most traffic laws are the same from state to state. the statutes are even worded the same,
stop means stop in every state.

Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD) - FHWA

The Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, or MUTCD defines the standards used by road managers nationwide to install and maintain traffic control devices on all public streets, highways, bikeways, and private roads open to public traffic. The MUTCD is published by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) under 23 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Part 655, Subpart F.
The MUTCD, which has been administered by the FHWA since 1971, is a compilation of national standards for all traffic control devices, including road markings, highway signs, and traffic signals. It is updated periodically to accommodate the nation's changing transportation needs and address new safety technologies, traffic control tools and traffic management techniques.
On December 16, 2009 a final rule adopting the 2009 Edition of the MUTCD was published in the Federal Register with an effective date of January 15, 2010. States must adopt the 2009 National MUTCD as their legal State standard for traffic control devices within two years from the effective date. The Federal Register notice, which provides detailed discussion of the FHWA's decisions on major changes from the 2003 edition, can be viewed at http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2009/pdf/E9-28322.pdf (PDF, 716KB).

Subdivision 1.Uniform system.

The commissioner shall adopt a manual and specifications for a uniform system of traffic-control devices consistent with the provisions of this chapter for use upon highways within this state. Such uniform system shall correlate with and so far as possible conform to the system then current as approved by the American Association of State Highway Officials. The manual and specifications must include the design and wording of minimum-maintenance road signs. The adoption of the manual and specifications by the commissioner as herein provided is specifically exempted from chapter 14, including section 14.386.

http://ncutlo.org/

quote=hoffdano;26482260]I think you are mistaken. There are no completely uniform traffic laws.

f[/quote]

Old 10-12-2012, 11:00 PM

802 posts, read 1,681,976 times
If you have to slam on your brakes, just go through the yellow. If not, stop.

Also, if you follow the same route everyday, try to become familiar with which intersections have a red light camera. This will allow you to adjust your speed accordingly near these intersections.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:03 AM

37,111 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Very true. Many people shouldn't be allowed to drive, either.

Red light stop, green light go, yellow light go very fast.

Everyone knows this.
Yellow Light, Go Very Fast Scene from Starman Movie (1984) | MOVIECLIPS

Old 10-13-2012, 12:06 AM

37,111 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
'Yellow' time for traffic lights as mandated by FDOT and set by the speed limit of the road.
30 mph or less 3.5 sec
35 mph 4.0 sec
40 mph 4.0 sec
45 mph 4.3 sec
Many cities have been caught shaving .5 to 1.2 seconds from the yellow time to increase revenue.
In Florida, even if you stop at the light but the front wheels are over the white line, you will be cited for $158. You will also receive a citation if while making a right turn, you stop over the white line and then make the turn. According to the cities with the revenue camera scam, you have to stop twice to make a right turn. Once before the white line and then again at the corner to see if you can proceed safely.
So, assume that the yellow time has been reduced and drive 10 mph slower at camera locations. Find another route to where you want to go by avoiding the camera location. Note that locations are selected to generate the most revenue, not necessarily a location that has high incidences of vehicle crashes.
And don't buy the mantra 'it's for your safety'. It's all about the amount of revenue that can be made.
In Georgia, the legislature passed a law that required any traffic light that has a camera to add one second to the state required time. Amazing that the amount of people being cited for a violation dropped so much that the camera companies abandoned the cameras because they were not making enough money. [it's all about the money]
Yep, the cameras in my Georgia town were no longer cost effective when the additional time was added.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive