Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2016, 11:45 AM

3,702 posts, read 4,851,427 times

Advertisements

Here is something that's got me puzzled and even though it is my 07 ram I don't want this put under Dodge Chrysler because I don't think it's vehicle specific.

My trucks AC works fine and will freeze you out of the front seats, when moving! I have been trying to rack my diminutive brain but keep coming up blank!

When I come to a stop, all cold air stops blowing and it becomes warm air, no matter what position the temp adjustment dial is in it goes from that setting to bake. Let the light turn green and I start driving again, yep, back to deep freeze if I have it set to cold or just warm,chilly if any of the mid section settings. It also does not matter what setting it is in either. It can be defrost, vent, floor, combo, interior air or exterior air. That does not matter one bit. No matter what setting it goes to bake/broil while stopped and returns to the right temp setting while moving!

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2016, 11:47 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times
Question, does the air blowing out the vents stop blowing or does the air keep blowing but stops being cold?

Old 02-29-2016, 11:50 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
I don't know if it's the case with your Ram but the computers in some vehicles tell the AC to shut off when stopped in 'Drive' in the name of improving fuel economy.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:09 PM

Victim, The air continues blowing just as it was. Just hot.

Beach, This issue just started last summer as it has always blown whatever the setting is (such as cold on a hot summer day) while sitting at a traffic light. So whether in drive or park, moving or still, I always had AC in the past!

Old 02-29-2016, 12:11 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Have your refrigerant checked, that is a typical sign of it getting low, so it needs the RPMs to provide the required pressure for cooling. If it's never been checked, you did well to go this long on a 2007.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:18 PM

505 posts, read 847,665 times
Could need a recharge. Check your cooling fans as well. They should be running when the car's idling with the A/C on.

Old 02-29-2016, 01:23 PM

19,029 posts, read 27,592,838 times
Lose belt. Plus, clogged ac radiator or both radiators. Thing is, your ac runs fine in either high RPMs or with good air flow, which naturally cools down freon in radiator.
Also, is AC fan actually coming up?
But I'd definitely start with belt and radiators. You'll be surprised what bugs can do to it.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:08 PM

672 posts, read 699,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Lose belt. Plus, clogged ac radiator or both radiators. Thing is, your ac runs fine in either high RPMs or with good air flow, which naturally cools down freon in radiator.
Also, is AC fan actually coming up?
But I'd definitely start with belt and radiators. You'll be surprised what bugs can do to it.

Fyi, the proper name would be condenser not radiator. You may confuse some people.

OP, it's most likely that you have a case of a low refrigerant level or that one or both of your cooling fans are not working. When you turn on your a/c both of your electrical fans should come on. If one or neither comes on that's your source. If your system has never been recharged, most likely your due for a charge.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:27 PM

Thanks for the reply's. It gives me something to have checked. For instance I have never had the AC charged.

About the aux fans, I would have never guessed that at all but it seems possible. Why? Because for the first few years I noticed how loud it/they were as it would run practically constantly when driving on the beach keeping my motor cool no matter the wind direction or how long I drove. These last couple years, once I get several miles down the beach the temp climbs up well beyond my comfort zone (this is not a motor that I want to over heat) and I either have to park and turn into the wind or do something extreme enough as to drive a bit harder getting the temp up to turn on the fan. Then I just watch the needle fall as it cools right down. I can't remember the last time I heard the fan running while driving on the street or idling whereas that was one of the first things I noticed when I bought the truck. It/they were never the quietest fans so definitely noticeable if/if not running because the motor itself is quiet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive