U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-25-2012, 10:47 AM

1,581 posts, read 1,637,648 times

Advertisements

We have a 2005 Honda Civic that is beaten to hell and its making a loud squeal when its turned on after sitting for a while. I seem to recall that this could be the timing belt? If it is, how much does it typically cost to replace it? I am in New Orleans (I know this can vary by location). Is this something that the non-car savvy should attempt by themselves?

Thanks!

Whoops-- sorry-- posted in wrong forum. Moving to Automotive (general).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 11:08 AM

3,870 posts, read 5,460,967 times
I'd be looking at the alternator, battery and the alternator belt first.

When you car sits for a while the battery gets drained and a bad battery will lose it's charge.
When you start it this puts a load on the ALT and this will cause a loose belt to squeal, but so can a bad alternator.

if you timing belt was squealing (slipping) your timing would be off and your car would not run correctly

Quote:
Originally Posted by confusedasusual View Post
We have a 2005 Honda Civic that is beaten to hell and its making a loud squeal when its turned on after sitting for a while. I seem to recall that this could be the timing belt? If it is, how much does it typically cost to replace it? I am in New Orleans (I know this can vary by location). Is this something that the non-car savvy should attempt by themselves?

Thanks!

Whoops-- sorry-- posted in wrong forum. Moving to Automotive (general).

Old 10-26-2012, 09:23 AM

793 posts, read 1,372,699 times
Rule the ALT, AC, PS belts out first, how old and what is the condition of them? Does it also do it on a hot day accelerating from a stop light?

If so I would point to the belts being loose if newer and in good condition or needing replaced if older and glazed, cracked or shows wear.

Could be a load issue with the alternator or AC, make sure AC is off relieving it's load and disqualify it as a culprit.

Power steering load is typically only when steering wheel is turned.

Hope this helps,

Old 10-26-2012, 09:54 AM

20,327 posts, read 16,609,173 times
I doubt very much that it would be the timing belt making the noise as the timing belt has teeth in it that fit in the cam shaft pully,this belt wont slip it will just break without warning usually destroying the engine in the process., if any of your accessory belts are loose they will definitely squeal on start up,tighten or replace them.
Heres a Civic timing belt, think $500-$800 to replace . If it breaks while driving you gonna basically need a new motor.
http://www.wonderbart.com/images/07/...belt_01193.jpg

Old 10-26-2012, 06:35 PM

8,825 posts, read 23,242,151 times
You can spray a little water on the v-belts or serpentine belt and if the sound changes pitch or goes away, you have found the source of the noise. Or just turn the headlights on while it's squealing, the increased load on the alternator will generally mean the noise gets louder.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:49 PM

5,755 posts, read 7,293,280 times
Probably the serpentine belt. Just get it replaced. It's due.

Old 10-27-2012, 06:53 PM

3,188 posts, read 1,724,490 times
Friend let me give you some good advice..It is very easy to guess what a problem might or might not be before you OPEN THE HOOD AND LOOK.. GEZZ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive