Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 07:10 AM

881 posts, read 2,092,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irman View Post
That is actually how the mid range gasoline mixed in pumps.
Exactly. FWIW, I've one requiring 91, so I switch about 1/2 tanks between 93 & 89...
As to the OP - others are correct - you'll get the "additive pack" by pumping high test, so you might see a slight performance/mileage boost, nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2012, 07:40 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The only difference between gasoline grades is the additives put into the gasoline, otherwise it is gasoline. You cannot obviously use gasoline in a diesel engine and vice versa but premium gasoline will not harm your engine no matter how long you use it.
Octane is not an additive.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:02 AM

458 posts, read 1,249,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
The only difference between gasoline grades is the additives put into the gasoline, otherwise it is gasoline. You cannot obviously use gasoline in a diesel engine and vice versa but premium gasoline will not harm your engine no matter how long you use it.
The difference between gasoline grades is the octane rating. The higher the octane rating, the more compression the fuel can withstand before igniting. This is why using regular fuel in a car that requires premium is bad. These engines are high-compression and when you put regular fuel in them it can ignite per-maturely and result in "knocking" which can damage the engine.

Old 11-01-2012, 09:45 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Octane is not an additive.
Octane is actually a measure of the anti-knock qualities of a fuel.
The original anti-knock additive was alcohol (Henry Ford I said "Alcohol is the fuel of the future!"), then Tetra-Ethyl-Lead was invented
Since TEL was cheaper than alcohol at the time, the Ethyl Corporation was formed to distribute Ethyl gas.
Then the powers that be determined that lead is poisonous (DUH!).
So other anti-knock additives were tried.
They, also have been found to be poisonous.
So, now we are back to alcohol.
Perhaps old man Ford was right?

Old 11-01-2012, 08:40 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
The original anti-knock additive was alcohol (Henry Ford I said "Alcohol is the fuel of the future!"), then Tetra-Ethyl-Lead was invented
Since TEL was cheaper than alcohol at the time, the Ethyl Corporation was formed to distribute Ethyl gas.
You're preaching to the choir! I did the octane research years ago to argue with a buddy who put premium in everything he drove and swore it was better. He still does it in spite of the mountain of evidence I gave him to the contrary.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:13 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Perhaps he was right....now they're putting ethanol in todays fuels.

Old 08-30-2016, 07:26 AM

1 posts, read 1,221 times
Helllo.. In many cars, like my 1997 Nissan Altima, premium gasoline burns SLOWER and lowers my idle! i fixed everything on thr car when it kept stalling out! This includes the Distributor, cap too plus rotor, plugs and wires, ignition, 02 sensor, gas filter.. And it still stalled and ran low idle.. Aweful!! I had been usung premium gas hoping that might clean perhaps a clogged fuel line..Today i tried 89 octane on a guess, and it raised the idle 200 or 300 and not stalling! Do NOT use high octane gas which burns slower and does not apparently ignite as well as you want! -Craig

Old 08-30-2016, 07:39 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
Exactly. FWIW, I've one requiring 91, so I switch about 1/2 tanks between 93 & 89...
As to the OP - others are correct - you'll get the "additive pack" by pumping high test, so you might see a slight performance/mileage boost, nothing more.
No. This is incorrect. The additives are the same. Octane is the only difference. Higher octane is less explosive (more stable), you will actually get lower gas mileage with premium because they add ethanol to increase octane and ethanol has less energy per gallon than gasoline. You will also get slightly poorer performance unless you have a high compression engine. However you will not likely notice the drop in performance using premium in a regular engine. The difference is usually like 3 hp.

Many years ago (like 20) premium gas got better detergent additives.Thus, some people beloved your engine would get cleaned out by running a tank of premium and run better (not so, but the gasoline companies did all they could to perpetuate this urban legend). Not anymore. They get the same mix.

Now for most cars, premium is a waste of money. Even for some cars that are designated as premium fuel users.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:42 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,771,707 times
They add additives to raise the octane. It doesn't come out of the ground in different octane levels. They blend in ethanol.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:45 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,882,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
now they're putting ethanol in todays fuels.
Ethanol is nothing new, been doing it for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive