Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 04:31 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,133,182 times

Advertisements

I buy 87 octane Top Tier gasoline. I use Shell most of the time because I have three Shell stations near my home. If I see Exxon, Chevron or Texaco cheaper than Shell on my travels about, I will buy that. There are only a few other Top Tier brands in town, and I rarely drive anywhere near those stations.

Top Tier gasoline usually costs no more than cheap gasoline. Even a nickel or more a gallon to get the benefits of a Top Tier brand is very cheap insurance for keeping injectors, valves, and an engine clean, and running at it's peak.

Top Tier Gasoline

Using a higher octane than your engine needs is wasting money. Buying Top Tier gasoline from a station that sells lots of gas is the best way to keep your car young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 05:26 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,859,957 times
Hate to break the news to yall, but gas is gas, all the gas comes out of the same tanks and pipelinesregarless of who refines it. At long as u get from a station that has plenty of business and doesn't let water get in the tank ull be fine. If u really want throw a bottle of stp cleaner in ur tank once in a while.

Don't ask how I know this, but trust me after workin in the oil an gas business in Lousiana for 30 yrs.., well I'm just staten facts.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:44 PM

24,467 posts, read 25,999,509 times
50+ years if driving using the lowest octane and cheapest gas available in the daily drivers. No problems yet.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:25 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,076,689 times
Just as Walgreens, CVS or Wal-Mart aspirins are the same as Bayer, 87 octane gas at Billiy Bobs gas station is the same 87 octane gas at Chevron, Exxon or BP.
If you live on a coast, most of the time the gas is brought to a tank farm by barge. ALL gas stations within a certain radius get their deliveries by truck from that farm. It's not Chevron, Citgo, Billy Bobs. It's just 87 octane gas from different sources.
If you live inland, the tank farms get their deliveries by a pipeline. The pipe lines spread out in all directions to refineries hundreds of miles away.
Except for some high performance engines designed for specific performance vehicles, almost all engines are designed to use 87 octane gas, as required by the federal government. Using a higher octane in an engine designed for 87 octane and as stated in the owners manual does absolutely nothing to boost mileage or power or make the engine run better.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:53 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,731,109 times
98, unless unless I want to make a 1-hour trip to refill, as 95 is blended with 10% ethanol in my area. Picky car wouldn't like it.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:55 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,859,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
98, unless unless I want to make a 1-hour trip to refill, as 95 is blended with 10% ethanol in my area. Picky car wouldn't like it.
That must be some expensive gas, and a expensive car

Old 11-18-2012, 07:06 PM

8,159 posts, read 8,731,109 times
Expensive gas yeah, equivalent of $7.65 per gallon, though taxes are higher than in the US. Expensive car not at all, I doubt I could get more than €500 from it. From what I've read on the constructor website, it's advisable for vehicles prior to 2000 not to use gasoline containing a significant percentage of ethanol too often.
I've got the choice between wasting money on 98 or wasting gas to go to the nearest station selling "regular" 95. Both options are roughly equal, but the first is more convenient, so it's the one I chose. But whenever I take trips I take advantage of it to refill, so I probably buy as much 95 as 98.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:24 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,179,500 times
On a new vehicle, I buy the cheapest gasoline that meets the automobile manufacturer's recommendation. Anything more than that is just a waste of money. But what is good about extreme cold weather is that the winter gasoline additives used in the lower-48 States, or Obama's 56 aren't used in Alaska.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:53 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,240,810 times
Amazing how many people think higher octane = higher quality.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:00 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,227,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waitingtundra View Post
Hate to break the news to yall, but gas is gas, all the gas comes out of the same tanks and pipelinesregarless of who refines it. At long as u get from a station that has plenty of business and doesn't let water get in the tank ull be fine. If u really want throw a bottle of stp cleaner in ur tank once in a while.

Don't ask how I know this, but trust me after workin in the oil an gas business in Lousiana for 30 yrs.., well I'm just staten facts.
So you're saying that all the brands that claim to have things in their gas that other brands do not are lying? All those TV ads that say "Buy our gas. We have superduperclean in it" are false?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive