Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 10:12 PM

1 posts, read 11,790 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I drive a 2006 Saturn Ion. In the last couple of weeks I've noticed a gas smell near the rear of the car. I took it to the dealer and they had the car from 8-5 but said they couldn't find any leaks. They did say they found evidence of fuel around the fuel filter area, and asked if I had that changed (I did, but back in January). They told me to see if the smell dissipates and if not, then to bring it back in.

Any ideas on what could be causing this smell? It is strongest after driving and seems to go away if the car has been sitting a day or two.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 01:20 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
Could be fumes venting from a crack thats above the gas ievel thereby giving you the smell with no sign of leakage..
This pic of a Saturn gas tank gives several potentials for leaking fumes.
I'd also have them change the fuel filter if they are seeing signs of gas around it..

Last edited by jambo101; 11-20-2012 at 01:30 AM..

Old 11-20-2012, 08:55 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
There is a gas line that sometimes pulls out of the tank in some GM vehicles. You smell gas when you stop in a hurry. All you need to do in that case, is push the line back in (and maybe tape it down). The problem is getting to it. With some cars you need to pull up the carpeting and cut a hole through the body, otherwise you will have to remove the exhause system and drop the gas tank. Of course you will not know whether it is just a lose hose or something else until you get to it and look.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:57 AM

3 posts, read 13,582 times
be safe!

Old 11-20-2012, 05:52 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,957,812 times
probably there is no access plate over the tank sending unit shown well in jambo101's picture. if a fuel line (return side likey) is leaking due to a ethanol rotted line it will seep fuel and create fumes.. pretty typical.

The bad part is the tank has to come down to see.... So when you go back in make sure the tank is pretty low ....

Old 11-21-2012, 07:24 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
probably there is no access plate over the tank sending unit shown well in jambo101's picture. if a fuel line (return side likey) is leaking due to a ethanol rotted line it will seep fuel and create fumes.. pretty typical.

The bad part is the tank has to come down to see.... So when you go back in make sure the tank is pretty low ....

Can't you cut a hole in the body to access it from the top?

Do you have to remove the exhaust system to lower the tank? (My car, you do).

Old 11-21-2012, 03:31 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,984,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post

Thats what pretty much happened on my L300. The mechanic had a home made lifting device (think manual fork lift) that could lower and raise the tank. They surprise me as I had 3/4 of a tank of gas in it.

Replaced the fuel pump as a precautionary measure.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:33 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,957,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Can't you cut a hole in the body to access it from the top?

Do you have to remove the exhaust system to lower the tank? (My car, you do).
On my old cars I do cut access ports where ever i want and this is once place I have. I also make covers to screw on, and paint everything after deburring too.

of course NH is serious salt belt country, and serious leaves and pine needles too. So in any car or trucks i own, with rocker panels that have cowel vents where rain drains I cut open the thresholds and make stainless covers. If there IS a plastic threshold cover from the factory I do the same but make sure the Stainless is smaller in size.

That way i can open up the rockers and clean out leaves salty sand that always gets in there some how, and do what I want...

I run a garden hose in these , they air to dry and ten mist in ATF and OR if i really go nuts will stuff the drains full of paper towel and pour in a thin oil like ATF and let that soak into all the crimps and pinch welds a few days then add a mix of engine oil (new) and roofing cement to make a think slurry.

When I figure that mess has had time enough I pull the paper towel plug out with a wall paper tray to catch the mess.....

That can end rocker rot pretty well.

But no ordinary tech will do the things i do..... people would freak out. I recall a test drive on a XKE Jag with the owner... he has a over heating problem which he said would come and go. He has a T stat too, but refused to replace it wanting to know for sure if he must...

He must.... So armed with everything except a gasket off we went...... it was all his parts and his coolant too, something sometimes i didn't mind that much...

But that t stat seized up and blew the coolant out the cap making a mess.... There was no gasket and so I used the box the T stat came in, and did that guy ever freak out.....

I told him he could walk back but I was going to drive his car... Oh well

Drop the exhaust? Maybe..... I don't know ever car there is anymore... You have to remove what ever IS in the way... That varries.........

Engineers these days don't seem to ever get dirty, maybe ink if that once in a while but they are cleaner than girls, and so they put things in the damdest places...

On a Dodge truck a few years ago it took me 10 hours to get a EGR valve replaced because the engineers stuffed it in a tight spot near the fire wall, and all sorts of things had to come out to get at it....

Bunch of brain dead engineers and some bean counters had to be responsible for that.

They don't care. I recall older 60's vintage Volvo had 5 screws on a heater motor plate to pull to yank the whole motor..... Could get better than that...

Then the 240 series they stuffed the motor into a housing with 2 squirrel cage fans and went to cheap plastic carbon brush holders which melted DUH! And by the book it was a 10 hour job.. recalled, because new wave engineers don't get dirty..... To me there is no excuse for these stupid designs.

Last edited by Mac_Muz; 11-21-2012 at 03:54 PM..

Old 11-23-2012, 06:20 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,859,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Could be fumes venting from a crack thats above the gas ievel thereby giving you the smell with no sign of leakage..
This pic of a Saturn gas tank gives several potentials for leaking fumes.
I'd also have them change the fuel filter if they are seeing signs of gas around it..
Bingo, solved this problem on my moms Saturn. It is a common problem, well written about on the internet. Not a simple fix, vary unsafe and one which must be taken care of immeditaley.

Old 09-10-2014, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 9,793 times
I came across this thread because I am also having a gas smell from my Saturn Ion and am getting the P0442, small evap emissions leak. I am struggling with a dealer who is unable to identify the problem using a smoke test yet wants hundreds of dollars more to repeat diagnosis. The last message in the thread indicates you figured out the problem. Can you tell me what the problem was in your situation and what you did to fix it? Thank you for your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive