U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 05:45 PM

355 posts, read 1,791,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I wonder how they would find out.
Some rental companies have tracking devices on their vehicles to let them know if your out of state lines .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 06:12 PM

1,797 posts, read 5,092,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
Yes , most companies don't even care where you go in their cars . As long as you are going to stay in the U.S. , there is not an extra charge . I only know of one major rental company that will not allow you to drive out of state lines , which is Enterprise Rental car . All other major companies will let you drive anywhere in the U.S. and all major car rental companies allow you to drive as many miles as you please in your rental vehicle . Rates depend on what size vehicles you are planning to rent . Some rental companies charge more than others . What type of vehicle are you looking to rent and how long ?
Nashcash is right on the money. I've rented from all the biggie rental agencies, Hertz, Avis, National-Alamo, Dollar, Budget. I always rent a mid sized car and usually get something like a Chevy Malibu sedan. Best rates are the typically the weekly rate. As Nash said, all the biggies EXCEPT ENTERPRISE give you unlimited mileage with no restriction on what states you drive in. Because of the state line restrictions that Enterprise has, I never bother with them because I don't like to be told where I can go.
Car rental rates can vary depending on what local "add on" fees and taxes there are. Some states like FL are wild about adding on extra taxes and fees that will almost double the quoted "base rate" for the car rental.
I've used a rental car to take long driving tours and piled up 2000 miles in a week. The people working at the rental car return don't even notice stuff that, they are just looking to make sure you don't have any physical damage to the car. It all evens out, because a lot of times people rent a car for a week and might drive it just a hundred miles or so.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:46 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,352,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycled View Post
As Nash said, all the biggies EXCEPT ENTERPRISE give you unlimited mileage with no restriction on what states you drive in. Because of the state line restrictions that Enterprise has, I never bother with them because I don't like to be told where I can go.
I don't really understand why Enterprise does this, but it's not true in all situations. I know if you rent one of their cars in Southern California, they will allow you to use it to drive to Las Vegas, NV. I guess this may be due to Las Vegas just being an extension of Los Angeles that happens to be in a different state, LOL!

Old 10-14-2007, 12:33 PM

1,797 posts, read 5,092,202 times
Enterprise restricts drivers in southern cal to CA, NV and AZ. Most areas of the western US they restrict drivers to just a few neighboring states. In Eastern states, due the smaller size of states, they might toss in a few more nearby states. This is a way of molding their rental business, they don't want customers who will use the cars for long trips. Enterprise is better suited for people who need a replacement rental car in their local area while their own car is having work done, or for people who live car free in big cities, but like a weekend car rental to get outside the city for a couple of days.

Old 10-14-2007, 04:11 PM

355 posts, read 1,791,516 times
Quote:
Enterprise restricts drivers in southern cal to CA, NV and AZ. Most areas of the western US they restrict drivers to just a few neighboring states. In Eastern states, due the smaller size of states, they might toss in a few more nearby states. This is a way of molding their rental business, they don't want customers who will use the cars for long trips. Enterprise is better suited for people who need a replacement rental car in their local area while their own car is having work done, or for people who live car free in big cities, but like a weekend car rental to get outside the city for a couple of days.
I agree , mostly I think Enterprise makes its money from people needing replacement vehicles while their car is in the shop getting body work due to a recent accident . Every time I get into an accident , my insurance agency always gets me a rental car from Enterprise . As a matter of fact , everyone I know who gets in an accident , ends up with an Enterprise vehicle while theirs is in the body repair shop . I personally do not like Enterprise because I think their vehicles are disgusting . Every time I am driving an Enterprise rental vehicle , it always smells like smoke . Also , every time I get into one of their cars , I see stains and lots of food crumbs on the seats and on the floor . That is just disgusting ! I have never seen these things in other rental agency's vehicles , which are always cleaner and more pleasing .

Old 10-14-2007, 11:44 PM

217 posts, read 587,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I've never had a problem renting cars in Kentucky at the Cinc'y airport and heading into Ohio. Never even been asked ... Same thing for rental cars in Oregon and heading into Washington. Have rented in Valdosta GA and headed into Florida, too.

As far as not being a US citizen, as long as you have a valid driver's license in Canada and a good credit card ... the car agencies are good with that.

Best to google the car rental agencies at the city where you intend to start out. Rental rates vary greatly due to size of car and when you're renting it.
I wonder about those places that border on other states, like Cincy's airport, which of course is in Kentucky. Then you have the southern New England states, where you could easily drive through in short time.

When I rented a car from Enterprise several years ago in New York State, I drove down to Pennsylvania, which was only an hour away. When I returned the car, they didn't say anything and I didn't see an extra charge.

I never thought about asking about taking it out of state lines, but I've rented a car once in my life.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:41 AM

36,056 posts, read 55,947,661 times
I've rented cars for interstate travel several times. I've never been asked where I'm going with their car, and I'd have told them to mind their own business if asked anyway. They don't care what state you take it in, they only care that you bring it back and how much mileage you put on it -- unless you get an unlimited-mileage package, in which case they don't care about that either.

Old 10-15-2007, 03:46 AM

137 posts, read 585,817 times
The last couple of times I've rented cars in the States I was told that because it was an International rental (I booked from England) that I had a special rate that also included all the insurances, and the rates were actually quite reasonable.

During one of my trips a couple years ago, I rented a car in Las Vegas did lots of site seeing and then dropped the car at the airport in Phoenix, no extra charge. (I think it depends what car company you're using and what State it's dropped in, sometimes there can be a charge). Then we flew to Boston, rented a car there (same deal....all inclusive).

Then we flew to Montreal, rented a car there and at the last minute we decided we wanted to drive back to Boston so I called the rental car company and asked if that was okay. They had to do a bit of checking but in the end they said okay, no problem, and that was a beautiful drive back!

So check with the rental car company to find out what all is included and if you want to drive from one State drop the car in another, etc. I don't think you'll have any problems.

Old 10-15-2007, 05:35 AM

2,441 posts, read 3,773,011 times
Quote:
I can vouch for this. Over Labor Day weekend I rented from Enterprise in Scottsdale to go to Las Vegas. On the way back a combination of a detour and poor signage led me to Needles, CA. When I got back to Enterprise in Scottsdale I let them know that I had driven the car into Southern California. They told me that they allow trips to Las Vegas and Southern California. I guess because people in Arizona travel so frequently to either.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:22 AM

19,740 posts, read 16,397,115 times
Ive rented cars before and have driven across state lines, it just depends on the car company. There arent many that will allow it but at least one that I know of, does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive