U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 06:28 AM

38,691 posts, read 86,811,612 times

Advertisements

This is all news to me. I've rented from several companies and the issue of interstate travel has never, ever even come up, much less been declared as a travel restriction. Maybe this is a West Coast thing or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2007, 07:02 AM

48,897 posts, read 39,392,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
Cold Canadian, if you plan to cross international borders, I'd definitely check with the place you're renting the car from. As for crossing U.S. state lines, i wouldn't think there would be a problem. As for Mexico, I know you must buy special coverage because U.S. insurance isn't good in Mexico
I was under the impression that US insurance was good in Mexico as long as you didn't go TOO FAR (like >40miles) into Mexico. Good to check first though than be sorry as I'm sure it changes from time to time.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:08 AM

48,897 posts, read 39,392,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Is this allowed?

If so does it cost more when you rent, if you tell them in advance?

Approximately how much does it typically cost to rent a car per day? Week? Month?
Some advice:

1) Rent OFF AIRPORT if possible as there are probably additional fees put there for tourists. (This may not matter for you but just a heads up).

2) If you have a car and insurance normally, find out how they cover rental cars. If they don't...you may want to buy insurance....this could add $10-15 a day to the cost.

3) Cheap rates seem to go weekly but they might cut you a deal for a month (no idea). I would expect around $150 a week, more if you need insurance or want a larger car etc.

Your day-week-month thing makes me wonder what you are thinking of....is this some sort of tourist excursion across parts of the US?

Old 10-15-2007, 07:57 AM

11,564 posts, read 17,501,153 times
Quote:
Is this allowed?

Approximately how much does it typically cost to rent a car per day? Week? Month?
Crossing state lines - it is allowed with all big rental car companies (some smaller companies do have regional rules, or you pay a charge per mile which efectively keeps you from driving cross country).

Rental car costs - varies by type of car, area, and region. You can easily get quotes online. As an example - midsize cars - $45 a day, $250 a week...within that range. Some have monthly rates as well. Longer you rent the cheaper per day it is.

Go online and look for deals. Look for unlimited mileage. Renting off airport is not a bad idea as they usually are cheaper (but much less convenient). Insurance - rip off. Usually you are covered by your own auto insurance or a credit card, pass on it if you can. Crossing into Mexico - Hell no, you get into an accident there and you will never see your rental car again.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:46 AM

1,311 posts, read 3,056,502 times
As far as going from one state to another here in the US, no problem. But many companies wil not let you do it with a convertibile. They will only let you take it one state away. When I lived in NY, I could drive to Penn., but not Ohio.I asked why, but nobody really knew.

Old 10-21-2007, 11:58 PM

28,880 posts, read 15,969,660 times
Driving a rental car across state lines must not be a big issue with the major car rental agencies, because the last two times I traveled and rented cars, they had out-of-state license plates, i.e., when I was visiting Sacramento I rented a car with Nevada plates, and when I visited Omaha, I rented a car with Missouri plates and part of my trip included driving across the river to Iowa. So, in my experience, I wouldn't think crossing state lines with a rental car is a problem.

Old 10-22-2007, 12:41 AM

655 posts, read 2,054,798 times
Quote:
Is this allowed?

Yes. I've even driven out of the COUNTRY with a rental. It cost me somewhere around $60 or so for a Labor Day weekend getaway to Toronto.

When in doubt, just ask. I did.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:12 PM

8,181 posts, read 16,158,422 times
I've rented from both Enterprise and Budget in the last year. Seattle, El Paso and St Louis.
Both companies allowed me to take the car to any of the neighboring states with no extra charge.
When researching the prices try to get a quote that includes all airport charges and taxes.
You don't want any surprises when you get there.

Old 10-25-2007, 02:47 PM

77 posts, read 443,705 times
Drove a rental from Florida all the way out to Texas. The rental had North Carolina plates

Old 10-26-2007, 04:02 PM

355 posts, read 2,458,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navshirereeve View Post
Drove a rental from Florida all the way out to Texas. The rental had North Carolina plates
I have noticed that cars that are rented from airport locations usually have plates from all over. I think the reason for that is because people from rural areas or small cities that have nearest airports that are out of their state of residence decide to rent cars to get to the airport and return them when they get to the airport so that they do not have to pay to park their personal vehicles in the airport parking areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or