U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2010, 11:03 AM

747 posts, read 2,211,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Yes, this thread is ancient but it's interesting to me why so many people had issues taking Enterprise vehicles out of state. I used to work for them in the late 90's in Florida and we allowed the renters to take them anywhere as long as they told us what states they would be driving to/through ahead of time and we listed them in the contract.

I live in Pittsburgh now and rented an Enterprise vehicle to go to Detroit, and took another one to Toronto with no problems. They just listed the states I would be traveling through and Canada on the contract. I guess the restrictions are a west coast thing only.
I used to rent from Enterprise because we had a corp discount with them, and their NYC locations would specify unlimited mileage within NY/NJ/CT in the rental agreement. This was annoying at first because the need for a rental was primarily to go up to MA... the first time we insisted on making it 'unlimited mileage' period and they charged us something like $10/day - not the end of the world but who likes being nickel & dimed?

Later we would simply ask for MA (or whichever state) to be added to the contract and they'd do so without any add'l charge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 11:17 AM

747 posts, read 2,211,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Second, do NOT rent a car at whichever airport you fly into; the 'junk fees' can easily add $100.00+ to the price of your rental car; businessmen and tourists who rent cars at the airport are bound to get taken to the cleaners.

Using Atlanta as an example, the difference in price on a one-week rental on a full-size car rented at their airport vs. several locations downtown for a rental commencing on May 18th came to approximately $130.00!!!!!

Tourists meccas such as Orlando and Chicago are really brutal in that regard.
This isn't universally true. In NYC it's usually the opposite scenario: renting at any of the 3 local airports (LGA/EWR/JFK) would probably be cheaper than renting downtown.

NTM how much does one really save when having to take a cab back & forth between downtown and airport locations? Or, if you're on vacation, do you really want to be figuring out and taking public transit (then walking with your luggage) to get from the airport to the downtown rental location?

Old 05-06-2010, 06:51 PM

13,718 posts, read 22,856,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Costanza View Post
NTM how much does one really save when having to take a cab back & forth between downtown and airport locations? Or, if you're on vacation, do you really want to be figuring out and taking public transit (then walking with your luggage) to get from the airport to the downtown rental location?
Let me give you two examples.

I needed to book a car rental in Seattle for eight days. Airport price was $585 including tax. Downtown price was $235. We had to pay about $5 for two train tickets to get downtown.

But then we thought that having a rental car in DT Seattle would be a mistake and ended up at $150 OTD for a five day rental.

If you rent a car at Chicago O'Hare, you pay top rental rates + 27% taxes and fees. Take a $15 taxi to Hertz's Local Edition, you get lower rental rates and an 9% tax.

In Cleveland, rent at the airport for ONE day and you may end up paying more for taxes and the fees than the rental. Take a $2 train ride one stop and you can get the same car, same rate, and 6% tax.

For a one day rental, you are right, it might not be worth the hassle. However, if I can save $100 OR MORE for an hour's inconvenience, it is worth it.

By the way, in most cases, you can drop the car off at the airport for no additional fees.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:52 PM

1,124 posts, read 2,293,355 times
I suspect Enterprise has state restrictions to keep the mileage down on the cars. They seem to keep their cars longer than the other rental companies. One local Enterprise location still has some 2008 models in their fleet.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:49 PM

12,120 posts, read 27,570,538 times
Default I rented from

Enterprise here in the Bronx, NY in 2004, 2005 and 2006. Each year I did unlimited mileage and took the car to Atlanta, they knew my destination and had no problem with it

Then for 2007 i had reserved well in advance. then, the night before picking up the car i get a message on my voice mail telling me they all of a sudden cannot let me take the car to Atlanta. Can you believe this?

I had to reserve at hertz in manhattan, schlepping all the way downtown and i lost a day of my vacation because Enterprise waited until the last minute to tell me I couldn't go to Atlanta when i had been for the past 3 years

Old 05-09-2010, 05:46 PM

27,236 posts, read 40,303,656 times
I'll be driving in Wisconsin and Illinois--if I ever manage to get a driver's license.

Old 05-09-2010, 10:49 PM

5,988 posts, read 9,982,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
Yes , most companies don't even care where you go in their cars . As long as you are going to stay in the U.S. , there is not an extra charge . I only know of one major rental company that will not allow you to drive out of state lines , which is Enterprise Rental car . All other major companies will let you drive anywhere in the U.S. and all major car rental companies allow you to drive as many miles as you please in your rental vehicle . Rates depend on what size vehicles you are planning to rent . Some rental companies charge more than others . What type of vehicle are you looking to rent and how long ?
Enterprise will allow you to cross state lines. I rented one to replace a van that was the victim of a deer who committed suicide. I covered three states, IL, WI & MI and was asked if I was going out of state. I believe there was an up charge but I can't tell you how much as it was a direct bill to my employer. I've also flown into Cincinnati and rented a car. The airport is in Florence KY and if you take 275 you go through Lawrenceburg IN to get there.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:18 PM

5,798 posts, read 5,242,961 times
Hertz also doesn't charge a drop fee if you rent a car at one of their HLE locations and drop it off at the airport; Enterprise does at some of their locations, at least the numerous ones in various Midwestern cities.

Hertz's fleet selection in many classifications tends to outsine their competitors, and that's been the case (for me) for twenty-plus years.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:07 PM

13,718 posts, read 22,856,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
Hertz also doesn't charge a drop fee if you rent a car at one of their HLE locations and drop it off at the airport; Enterprise does at some of their locations, at least the numerous ones in various Midwestern cities.
That is not exactly true.

Hertz charges you MORE to return to the airport than to the HLE location. At some locations, it is as little as $10 per day. However, I have encountered higher fees.

My experience has involved pickups in Crystal Lake and Woodstock, IL with drop-offs at Chicago-O'Hare.

Locally, Avis charges no extra fees; Hertz from $10-50, and Enterprise $100.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:23 PM

38,691 posts, read 86,882,510 times
What's an "HLE" location?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or