Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 01:23 AM

90 posts, read 361,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I don't really understand why Enterprise does this, but it's not true in all situations. I know if you rent one of their cars in Southern California, they will allow you to use it to drive to Las Vegas, NV. I guess this may be due to Las Vegas just being an extension of Los Angeles that happens to be in a different state, LOL!
I know I'm replying to an ages-old post, but THANK YOU!!! I was wondering about exactly this today, because I live in L.A. and was planning to drive to Vegas this weekend, then I got paranoid about my car running louder than normal and dropped it off at the mechanic, and it's iffy whether I'll get it back before I need to head out tomorrow. Gotta love that timing, but it's my own fault for being lazy.

I'm also planning a trip to Seattle/Vancouver later this summer, so I'm definitely trying to figure out how that works with rental cars (the plan is: Fly into Seattle, sightsee around Puget Sound, then hop over to Victoria and eventually Vancouver. Would like to have a car the entire time so I can get around autonomously, ferries notwithstanding.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 08:31 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,622 times
Yes, this thread is ancient but it's interesting to me why so many people had issues taking Enterprise vehicles out of state. I used to work for them in the late 90's in Florida and we allowed the renters to take them anywhere as long as they told us what states they would be driving to/through ahead of time and we listed them in the contract.

I live in Pittsburgh now and rented an Enterprise vehicle to go to Detroit, and took another one to Toronto with no problems. They just listed the states I would be traveling through and Canada on the contract. I guess the restrictions are a west coast thing only.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:28 PM

1,297 posts, read 4,769,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashcash23 View Post
Yes , most companies don't even care where you go in their cars . As long as you are going to stay in the U.S. , there is not an extra charge . I only know of one major rental company that will not allow you to drive out of state lines , which is Enterprise Rental car . All other major companies will let you drive anywhere in the U.S. and all major car rental companies allow you to drive as many miles as you please in your rental vehicle . Rates depend on what size vehicles you are planning to rent . Some rental companies charge more than others . What type of vehicle are you looking to rent and how long ?
I rented a full size pick up from Enterprise last June in KY and drove to Nebraska and back to KY. Told them about it when we rented and we were not charged anything extra.

But we were concerned cause we had heard about that but Enterprise was only place in town without having to drive 40 miles away.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:52 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
I used to drive cars from New England to Fla for customers, and rented cars to get back, One Way, if nothing down in Fla was north bound. The customers either lined up a ride back, or paid a rental for my drive back.

No rentals car place ever cared where I was taking their car, so long as I returned it to them some where, sometime, and it was paid for.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:48 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
Well I live in Tennessee, right on the Virginia state line, so I am sure local renters cross lines all of the time.

When we visit our relatives in South Carolina, I usually travel in 4 states. I live in Tennessee, I pick up my grandma who literally lives a tenth of a mile from Virginia.. we will sometime go to a market across the state line, back into Tennessee, down I26, crossing into North Carolina, then on down into South Carolina... my aunt loved 10 miles east of the Georgia state line, we have even went into Georgia... so we have taken the rental car into 5 states in one day before (Tennessee, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia). Never an issue. I always take the car back in the came conditions I rented it in.

Old 05-01-2010, 02:06 PM

438 posts, read 1,352,151 times
when you rent at the car rental place or do the online reservation, ALWAYS tell them that you wish to cross State lines. Some companies allow this. Not all.
I have rented in FL and driven way across the US and returned to FL with no problem, but I have told them before hand that this was my intention. I was also given a car exactly the same at different points where I suggested to them that the car I was driving needed an oil-change, tyre rotation or the like. My last couple of weeks they were kind enough to give me an upgrade for being conscientious about the care for their vehicle.
Just have you papers in order, no traffic violations (and can prove it), lots of time, and look after their care. They will thank you for it in the long run.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:41 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugatu View Post
Yes, this thread is ancient but it's interesting to me why so many people had issues taking Enterprise vehicles out of state. I used to work for them in the late 90's in Florida and we allowed the renters to take them anywhere as long as they told us what states they would be driving to/through ahead of time and we listed them in the contract.
My wife is an insurance adjuster who USED to use Enterprise but has since switched to Hertz for rentals for her clients.

With some of the Chicagoland branches, you are only allowed to take the vehicle to the states bordering Illinois. Oh, if you need to take a car outside those states, you can BUT you pay a lot higher rate.

And watch for the size of the vehicle. A Chevy Cobalt is a midsized car, a Toyota Camry is a PREMIUM rental.

BTW, Enterprise is NOT the only car rental company that has state restrictions. I have seen it with Thrifty, Dollar and some of the smaller companies.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:38 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
I once got a weekly rental (full size) in New Jersey and dropped it off in Wyoming. Cost was like $99. I figured that was probably less than it would cost me to drive my own car -- oil, tires, mileage depreciation (2500 miles), etc. But you can get hit with an extra drop-off charge to some places.

I'd never heard of a restriction on state-to-state before reading this thread.

Oh, and someone way back mentioned monthly rates. I've rented monthly a few times, and it was a bit cheaper, but in a couple of those cases I rented it directly from a car dealer. Lots of dealers will rent, but you've usually got to ask them, because not all do.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:04 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,566,607 times
ColdCanadian---Here are a few tips to help you save a ton of $$$$$ on your rental car.

First, join your local Auto Club, the CAA (Canadian Automobile Assn.), Canada's version of the AAA; they've offered great deals to patrons of Hertz who are Auto Club members for decades.

Second, do NOT rent a car at whichever airport you fly into; the 'junk fees' can easily add $100.00+ to the price of your rental car; businessmen and tourists who rent cars at the airport are bound to get taken to the cleaners.

Using Atlanta as an example, the difference in price on a one-week rental on a full-size car rented at their airport vs. several locations downtown for a rental commencing on May 18th came to approximately $130.00!!!!!

Tourists meccas such as Orlando and Chicago are really brutal in that regard.

Until I read the stories on this thread regarding Enterprise, I wasn't aware of any major car rental companies which had geographical restrictions; having driven from Los Angeles to cities including Dallas & Albuquerque, I've always asked the rental agent (I use Hertz exclusively---best and widest selection of cars in all size classifications) if going out of state would be a problem, and the answer was always no.

Wherever in the Deep South you choose to start your trip, I'm sure you'll have a blast.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:01 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Dude, the post you're responding to is 2½ years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive