Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 08:48 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,718,763 times

Advertisements

Is this allowed?

If so does it cost more when you rent, if you tell them in advance?

Approximately how much does it typically cost to rent a car per day? Week? Month?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 09:17 AM

Location: Georgia.I rather be in GODS country Tennessee.Everybody knows Gods a VOLS fan.
597 posts, read 2,077,250 times
The car might have to tell its probation officer first.JK

I really don't know unless it's in the car rentals clause.

Car prices are different according to types of vehicles you want.

Just look it up on the web and you can find out pricing and other info.

Old 10-13-2007, 09:44 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,483,154 times
Cold Canadian, if you plan to cross international borders, I'd definitely check with the place you're renting the car from. As for crossing U.S. state lines, i wouldn't think there would be a problem. As for Mexico, I know you must buy special coverage because U.S. insurance isn't good in Mexico

Old 10-13-2007, 09:50 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,601,748 times
I rented a car last month to go over several state lines, but asked about it first. Was told the only agency which allowed that was National Rental. Don't know about crossing Canada lines though.

Old 10-13-2007, 10:00 AM

355 posts, read 2,698,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Is this allowed?

Approximately how much does it typically cost to rent a car per day? Week? Month?
Yes , most companies don't even care where you go in their cars . As long as you are going to stay in the U.S. , there is not an extra charge . I only know of one major rental company that will not allow you to drive out of state lines , which is Enterprise Rental car . All other major companies will let you drive anywhere in the U.S. and all major car rental companies allow you to drive as many miles as you please in your rental vehicle . Rates depend on what size vehicles you are planning to rent . Some rental companies charge more than others . What type of vehicle are you looking to rent and how long ?

Old 10-13-2007, 10:47 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,718,763 times
I would like to take trips to various parts of the southern U.S. and once I get there I'll definitely need a car to get around.
I have no plans yet on when I'll go next.

I was figuring it might be cheaper for me to fly down and rent cars when I want to drive instead of buying my own car here, with the primary intention is that I can drive down south when I want. I figure I can't (or wouldn't want to) rent a car in Canada and drive to the U.S.

I don't need to cross any international borders.
I just thought it would stink to fly to NC and not be able to even visit SC in a rental car.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to land somewhere like NC and if I'm in the mood, drive as far away as south FL or TX for a visit. Would that be really expensive in a rental car, or mostly just however much I have to spend in gas?

Old 10-13-2007, 03:12 PM

355 posts, read 2,698,969 times
Quote:
I would like to take trips to various parts of the southern U.S. and once I get there I'll definitely need a car to get around.
I have no plans yet on when I'll go next.

I was figuring it might be cheaper for me to fly down and rent cars when I want to drive instead of buying my own car here, with the primary intention is that I can drive down south when I want. I figure I can't (or wouldn't want to) rent a car in Canada and drive to the U.S.

I don't need to cross any international borders.
I just thought it would stink to fly to NC and not be able to even visit SC in a rental car.

Ideally, I'd like to be able to land somewhere like NC and if I'm in the mood, drive as far away as south FL or TX for a visit. Would that be really expensive in a rental car, or mostly just however much I have to spend in gas?
Well , like I said , most rental car companies will let you drive the car wherever you want to . It is best to call several major rental companies and ask them about their policies and ask about rates or you can go to their websites and view thier policies and even check their rates on different sizes of vehicles . You will probably have to pay higher rates because you not a legal resident of the U.S. .

Old 10-13-2007, 03:16 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,938,351 times
Quote:
Is this allowed?

I wonder how they would find out.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:17 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,008,569 times
Some rental companies have a seperate rate for multistate driving and have GPS tracking devices installed to alert them if you travel outside of state lines. Check with YOUR rental company.

Old 10-13-2007, 05:36 PM

11,550 posts, read 52,969,385 times
I've never had a problem renting cars in Kentucky at the Cinc'y airport and heading into Ohio. Never even been asked ... Same thing for rental cars in Oregon and heading into Washington. Have rented in Valdosta GA and headed into Florida, too.

As far as not being a US citizen, as long as you have a valid driver's license in Canada and a good credit card ... the car agencies are good with that.

Best to google the car rental agencies at the city where you intend to start out. Rental rates vary greatly due to size of car and when you're renting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive