U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2006, 07:24 AM

Location: Boonies of Georgia ~~~~ nuttier than a squirrel turd !
1,950 posts, read 4,521,981 times

Advertisements

If at all possible go with Penske !!!
We recently relocated from Florida to Georgia. I researched for a week on different truck rentals, and found Penske to be the least expensive. Recieved a 10% discount for reserving online and an additional 12% for AAA. The best part was the truck was in great condition and they had unlimited mileage. Which for us was a god send. We had never moved more than 5 mile before and had no idea what it would take. We expected to get all our stuff in a 26' truck in one trip. NOT!!! Took us 3 trips. Thank god for the unlimited mileage. We did have the truck for 2 additional days which cost us $126 a day with complete insurance coverage. So in total it cost us somewhere around $1300.00 for the truck. All thier large trucks are desiel, which helped with gas expense.
If we would of went with someone who didn't have unlimited mileage, we probably would of had to take out a loan to get our stuff here.
One more thought......GET RID OF THE STUFF YOU CAN GO WITHOUT !!!
Moving was a complete learning experience for all of us. The first day we had the truck, my husband and son went to the warehouse unit to pack it. I cried when they came home and saw the truck was already half full. We realized that we had been storing stuff for 7 years @ $130 a month that would of been cheaper to buy when needed than it was to store it. Needless to say we are purging now! We did get rid of alot of stuff in the month prior to our move, but obviously not enough!
Kudo's to Penske !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2006, 01:42 PM

336 posts, read 340,020 times
I agree. Go with Penske and avoid U-Haul.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 30,494 times
u-haul sucks.. they lost my reservation on my moving day.. ran around like a nut looking for a truck last minute.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:05 PM

10,715 posts, read 21,031,794 times
does u-haul still use early 90's f350's and chevy 3500's as their rental trucks cause I remember in 05 I eneded up in a 95 f350 with 400K on it

Old 12-27-2009, 12:12 PM

2,692 posts, read 8,867,909 times
i've had so many bad experiences with U-know-who that i refuse to even say their name. i wish someone else rented trailers so i could swear them off completely.

Penske, though, is awesome. brand new trucks, unlimited mileage, great service, etc. i have never had an issue. i just wish they had more locations.

Mike

Old 12-27-2009, 04:18 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,416,598 times
100% go with Penske, even if they're more expensive. The trucks are usually newer and the larger ones are almost always diesels. U-haul doesn't even have diesels anymore I don't believe and most of the trucks and trailers are older than me.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:00 PM

7 posts, read 33,606 times
I Had a bad experience with Penske. I rented a truck in the winter last year and had the truck stall on me 3 times! Don't know if it was too cold or what. After I returned the truck, I got a horrible message on my voicemail from the attendant I rented the truck from saying it had no gas and I probably lied about the truck breaking down...all lies cause I had my receipt from the gas station plus all the calls made to Penske roadside assistance were recorded and logged. Needless to say, I will not return to Penske. I am upset with myself that I didn't follow up with that.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:37 AM

14,724 posts, read 32,069,960 times
Agree 100% with the Penske route. I used U-haul twice for local moves (within 10 miles) and the trucks were absolute garbage. The last move was over 30 miles and I used Penske. The other big bonus for Penske is that their larger trucks are diesel which is WAY more efficient than the gas engines used in the larger U-hauls.

As a word of advice, skip the online reservation and call the branch directly. The guy at the counter has the ability to wheel and deal on the rental rate and terms. If you are moving during a slow time they will be very happy to cut you a really nice deal.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:53 PM

3,243 posts, read 8,248,580 times
Budget, Enterprise and Penske... Budget and Enterprise are fairly new to truck rentals so in turn the trucks are newer as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive