Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 04:43 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
No not yet as while I'm all for a hot RWD Buick. Let the GN/GNX name rest in peace. That car only had one flaw. No option for a proper gearbox.
Thats because turbo cars are faster with automatics. A few have converted TR's (Turbo Regals) to manual trannies only to find the cars slowed down
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
Wait what car in the 80s had good handling. The 80s was a crap decade for cars in general. I've driven a stock GNX in the Hill Country and it wasn't bad at all.
I doubt that. 547 made and VERY few ever left the garage. Most low mileage ones are getting $80k now.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
And it had one of those silly 85mph speedometers despite the fact that law was rescinded in 1982.

And everyone converted the speedos to 145 ones. There were a few manufactures out there for the, I did it on mine.

Old 12-04-2012, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
Yeeeeeaaah I remember reading a quick blurb about those in the car magazines (car and driver, etc), they were very limited, never saw one on the street.
1555 made. My close friend has the best ones in the country. Museum piece. Amazing cars but ride hard.

History of the 1989 Turbo Trans Am

And here is his Turbo Trans Am

http://www.flickr.com/photos/phillyt...7622377906384/

Old 12-04-2012, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger17 View Post
slight side track--didnt the GMC cyclone carry the same turbo motor but with awd which should have given that vehicle some corner ability?

back to point, just not a fan of using retro names on cars that dont share at least some of the visuals. Charger, Grand National, those to me bring back memories of 2-door coupes with nice lines and strong performance potential. To me, the new Charger is a nice sedan. But it's not a "Charger" if that makes any sense. Imagine a 4 door Mustang or Camaro....

my .02
Nope. The Syclone/Typhoon had a Chevy built 4.3 turbo. Completely different engine then the Buick built 3.8 turbo,. Not one part shared.
The Chevy engine was not nearly as strong as the Buick motor too

Old 12-04-2012, 08:59 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoslade223 View Post
From the article, it seems to explain why GM installed a supercharger instead of a turbo on their great 3.8L V6. It said the FWD platform couldn't handle the torque of the turbo 3.8L V6. OK, so why couldn't they have continued engineering this turbo charged engine for the Camaro/Firebird or even Corvette?

Old 12-04-2012, 09:19 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,839,139 times
Any new performance car rendition is welcome.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:49 AM

3,046 posts, read 6,288,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
From the article, it seems to explain why GM installed a supercharger instead of a turbo on their great 3.8L V6. It said the FWD platform couldn't handle the torque of the turbo 3.8L V6. OK, so why couldn't they have continued engineering this turbo charged engine for the Camaro/Firebird or even Corvette?

Bean counters. The very thing that destroyed gm and made them general mess after the early 70's. Before the 70's, engineers that cared and did good jobs got promoted all the way up to and running the company, then starting in the early 70's the bean counters got promoted over engineers. The rest is easy to see the disaster the bean counters made of the company that continues to this day. As for the GNX not being able to corner/handle as posted by someone else earlier, only if you don't know how to drive!

Old 12-04-2012, 01:38 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Thats because turbo cars are faster with automatics. A few have converted TR's (Turbo Regals) to manual trannies only to find the cars slowed down
I know they are faster but only on certain cases (like the Nissan 200ZX Twin Turbo). It's not but because the shift lag doesn't interrupt the boost. If it was truly faster then more turbo motors would have auto exclusive options. Other than the EcoBoost motors that is it. You have the VW 2.0T (manual only in its high output form), the Mazdaspeed3 (manual only), Focus ST (manual only), Subaru Impreza WRX/WRX STI (this generation is the first to even offer an automatic). You can make the GN/GNX faster with a manual tranny if you also tune it properly. If you don't change anything then of course it will be slower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I doubt that. 547 made and VERY few ever left the garage. Most low mileage ones are getting $80k now.
You can doubt all you like (but it won't all of the sudden wipe away my experience) and I know how many were made. I've driven a GNX and the owner let me go out with it. H believes that cars should be driven and not be garage queens. GNXs are going for $90k+ if it's $80k or lower then let me know so I can snatch one up. That's grand larceny because I could turn around the next day and get six figures for it.

Old 12-04-2012, 01:47 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,204,711 times
They need to get back to building a car that will go 100k like it should before giving trouble before trying to reinvent yet another "muscle car".....hello hello...gas prices ant coming down hello hello
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive