Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 06:47 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Lee View Post
How do you guys deal with such a large engine in this era of $3 plus gas?

for every Prius driver, 2 of us musclecar drivers can take our cars out! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 06:04 PM

51 posts, read 178,733 times
I know this is a muscle car thread, but going outside that genre of vehicle, what other cars interest you?

Old 12-06-2012, 06:17 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
Quote:
Priorities.

Your Yaris gets what...35 mpg? My '08 Corvette has a 436 hp engine and gets 26-27 mpg on the highway, and I'm sure my car is quite a bit more fun to drive. My '10 F-150 gets about 14-15 mpg in mixed driving, but I need a truck to pull my boat (which burns fuel even faster). So having a truck and a sports car, on balance, will cost me what...$1500-$2000 more per year to operate than your Yaris? Not that big of a difference.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:05 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
Quote:
For me, it's called "the vehicle is paid off, and it's cheaper to put $3 in a gas guzzler than make a monthly car payment on a gas sipper + having to fill it up too".

Quote:
I know this is a muscle car thread, but going outside that genre of vehicle, what other cars interest you?
Me personally, I like 4X4 trucks and fast american iron. Because either are fun to drive (in my opinion of course)

Old 12-07-2012, 05:22 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Toyota Yaris. Look, gas is over $3 a gallon, you can't leagally drive faster than 70 miles an hour on an interstate anyway, and this American fascination with "bigger is better" (as well as the idea that they can still afforably build cars) needs to end.
What does the speed limit on an interstate have to do with a car chase in a movie? Do you actually read the threads you reply to or just spout off crap about your goofy car?

Old 12-07-2012, 05:49 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,022,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Priorities.

Your Yaris gets what...35 mpg? My '08 Corvette has a 436 hp engine and gets 26-27 mpg on the highway, and I'm sure my car is quite a bit more fun to drive. My '10 F-150 gets about 14-15 mpg in mixed driving, but I need a truck to pull my boat (which burns fuel even faster). So having a truck and a sports car, on balance, will cost me what...$1500-$2000 more per year to operate than your Yaris? Not that big of a difference.
agreed. Our 4wd Pilot (family suv/boat puller) can get up to 23 on hwy, and both our previous toy (s2000) and current toy (v6 stang convert) could touch 30 and both of those i can guarantee are more fun to drive then an econobox.
I have nothing against an economy car, but if i'm going to drive a little thing it dang well should get better mpg's then real world mid 30's (keeping hybrids out of the equation). Have them get hi mileage say like the old crx hf or other models where 40's and 50's were legit in a small car, then they can talk about saving the fossil fuels.... heck my sis drives a little kia and since her hwy speed is 70+ down here, all she's pulling is maybe 32-34 mpg. Yeah not much better then my stang right now and i know she prefers cruising ni our car to hers lol

Old 12-07-2012, 09:18 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,085,935 times
Quote:
We just purchased a Charger R/T(2013) with a 5.7L Hemi. We haven't filled up yet, but the onboard computer tells us we are averaging over 21 mpg. Today's "muscle cars" are getting much better mileage. Not that the muscle cars of today could compete with the older ones. A Charger R/T from the Bullitt era would probably blow our doors off, but the reason for buying this car is that 10 years from now this car will still have the power to merge onto a freeway without fear of being rear ended. We traded in a Hyundai XG-350L(2002), which still had a lot of zip left in it. It was just starting to cost more than it was worth to keep it on the road.

Additionally, this car will not be the car my wife drives primarily. She just retired and still drives the 2006 Tucson whenever the weather is bad or has to park it somewhere where it could get dinged up. I drive a company vehicle, so I will only get to drive it occasionally. I expect it to last 20 years. If the manufacturers, other than Chrysler, keep making lower powered vehicles, this car might end up being worth more than we paid for it, in a few decades.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:21 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
We just purchased a Charger R/T(2013) with a 5.7L Hemi. We haven't filled up yet, but the onboard computer tells us we are averaging over 21 mpg. Today's "muscle cars" are getting much better mileage. Not that the muscle cars of today could compete with the older ones. A Charger R/T from the Bullitt era would probably blow our doors off
Actually you have that backwards, todays Charger will blow the doors off the originals, not they they are even remotely in the same class (2 door muscle car vs 4 door sedan), but the same applies to the Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger, in a straight line it might be close, but throw in some curves and the originals will be left in the dust.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:28 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,753,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Priorities.

I saw an ad for a Chevy they were boasting 35mpg, the next ad was for a Dodge Ram getting 25mpg. So I'm guessing with a little shade tree engineering you could modify that truck which is probably double in wight, cylinders, and engine size to get similar mpg, in theory.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:29 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Actually you have that backwards, todays Charger will blow the doors off the originals, not they they are even remotely in the same class (2 door muscle car vs 4 door sedan), but the same applies to the Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger, in a straight line it might be close, but throw in some curves and the originals will be left in the dust.

won't even be close in straight line either. I loved thru both eras and owned musclecars dating back to 65. My new Mustang GT would beat every car I have owned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive