Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 06:32 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times

Advertisements

FYI- my Mustang GT gets 30 mpg on the highway and 20 in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
The price difference is msrp, when you get into the nifty gritty its much cheaper.

I never understood the hate for v6 pony cars. They are in no way the best car out there. But imagine if the big 3 were coming out with a front engine red, manual transmission coupe with 300 HP capable of the 30s in mpg....

Don't even associate pony car names with it. Does it appeal to you? It does me. I mean a Hyundai genesis and a scion frs, get acclaim, but these cars that are comprable, get nothing, because their big brothers are around.

I do agree for the $2500 difference its worth a v8, but its never that close.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 09:19 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
WHAT?? The v8 has MUCH more potential for more power. Not the v6 lol. There are many 1000 hp 5.0's out there. Not ONE 1000 hp v6 new Mustang.. And what do you mean about better balance with the 6? Do you think the v6 out handles the v8? Nope. Get a clue
i never said that the V6 has more power potential than the V8 does, try a reading comprehension course some day. as for balance, given EQUAL suspension modifications, the V6 car will have a BETTER front to rear weight ratio than the V8 will.

as for the V6 power potential, check out these websites;

Tom Morana Racing Engines

Super Six Motorsports - V6 products that make your life faster

these guys have put a lot of time and effort into building the V6 ford engines to make serious power. in fact morana racing has built a number of V6 powered mustangs that run in the 12s and are quite streetable.

and if that isnt enough for you, check out fordsix.com in the forums, we have a guy there that has a turbocharged 250 INLINE six that pushes his WIFES falcon into the high tens, and is a streetable car as well. so yes, while the V8s do have more power potential than the sixes do, understand that the sixes do in fact have very good power potential all their own.

Old 12-03-2012, 05:12 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
This is a forum, I'm entitled to my opinion.
And when your opinion is abrasively insulting, expect pushback.

Quote:
As another poster mentioned, the rental car industry are the majority consumers of neutered versions of the Camaro/Mustang/Challenger along with 16 and 17 year olds kids who buy them because of their cheap purchase price and fairly inexpensive insurance costs. Nobody seriously WANTS a V6 version of a muscle or pony car; that's like buying a luxury car buy not adding any options to it to save money.
The majority of consumers (not just rental fleets) buy the V6 version.

Quote:
The difference between a "V6 Premium" Mustang and a "V8 GT" Mustang is only $2500...now please explain to me why someone would NOT opt for the V8 version?!
There are any number of reasons why someone might want a V6 version, such as better fuel economy, lower insurance rates, the fact that the $2500 gap also leaves out a hell of a lot of options, and particularly nowadays, the fact that the V6 versions can actually provide a very solid performance value.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:04 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,020,253 times
we bought an '11 v6 stang convertible recently and love it. We did not buy it over a GT for better ins cost as at my age the same year GT would have just been a few bucks more. We did not buy it for better mpg, though even playing with it i can get upper 20's, and i doubt playing with a GT matches (and i wouldnt expect it to, but apologies if i'm wrong on GT real world mpg's). We did find that v6 models were far more available for what we were looking at then trying to find a similar GT at the time. We were replacing an S2k, and the toy for us is merely a toy, a weekend runner to cruise top down almost year round while still having some fun when you hit the gas all while being new enough. I can live with 305hp, so can my wife. And we can use the $$ savings for other things.

But i would not classify us as girly ninnies (seriously, was that the best insult to come up with?). I've had my time with muscle as well as modding cars, and have driven and been in 10 sec cars so i do recall what real performance can feel like. And i will fully agree the GT is great bang for the buck, i just didnt need that much bang anymore. Unless i'm going to the track regularly, 305 ponies does the job quite well. We bought a touring car to enjoy, not a track car for the street.

Back to OP, as you've likely read, the Mustang gets you more for the $$, but test drive all 3 to see what fits you the best.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:20 AM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
And when your opinion is abrasively insulting, expect pushback.

The majority of consumers (not just rental fleets) buy the V6 version.

There are any number of reasons why someone might want a V6 version, such as better fuel economy, lower insurance rates, the fact that the $2500 gap also leaves out a hell of a lot of options, and particularly nowadays, the fact that the V6 versions can actually provide a very solid performance value.
"Abrasively insulting"...really? Drover you have to be the thinnest skinned person on this planet if you think calling someone a "girly ninny" (pretty light-hearted tinge to that) is "abrasively insulting". Obviously you can't handle a little jest...a bit uptight this holiday season are we?

Ah the majority...the actual numbers are MUCH closer. 2011 Mustang Sales Numbers – How Rare is Your

37K V6 Mustang's
26K GT Mustang's
5K Shelby GT500's

So let's see...31K V8's sold versus 37K V6's sold in 2011. Hardly a large margin AND when counting that these numbers include fleet rentals...I would venture to guesstimate that the numbers are actually close to 1:1. Obviously you might want to do some research before espousing some very inaccurate statements.

I would agree with your reasons for buying a V6 over a V8 but really...should fuel mileage be a priority if you're buying a $25K muscle car? If you're TRULY concerned about fuel economy, use that $25K and buy a Prius.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i

these guys have put a lot of time and effort into building the V6 ford engines to make serious power. in fact morana racing has built a number of V6 powered mustangs that run in the 12s and are quite streetable.

wow.. Take a Mustang v6, pour thousands in it and STILL be slower then a standard 5.0 in a GT.. Sounds like a great idea to me. And you never answered my point. Which handles better, the V8 or th er6 Mustang. The answer is the v8 version. No matter better weight distribution because it does not obviously make a difference.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:50 AM

Quote:

I would agree with your reasons for buying a V6 over a V8 but really...should fuel mileage be a priority if you're buying a $25K muscle car? If you're TRULY concerned about fuel economy, use that $25K and buy a Prius.

Thats not a valid argument either. The v6 and v8's gas mileage are very close..

Ford says that the v6 manual trans Stangs gets 29 highway mpg and the GT v8 manual trans gets 26.. 19 (v8)and 22 (v6)combined. Not even enough to consider.. AND the automatic versions are even closer in the city. Only 1 MPG between the v6 and v8. It just does not hold water

Old 12-03-2012, 06:58 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,288,738 times
The new V6 Mustangs run circles around the older 4.6 V8 Mustangs, yet no one would scoff at those of us that chose the 4.6 V8 GTs. The V6 Mustang is available with the same handling package and braking package as the V8 GT, and yes, it does outhandle the V8 with the same suspension package (the BOSS 302 LS is another matter entirely).

The 305hp V6 Mustang is a great competitor to the various V6 Sports coupes from around the world, as well, and is aimed directly at them and their buyers (like the 370Z, Genesis 3.8 Coupe, G37, etc)

And yes, 6 cyl Mustangs have been the staple of Mustang sales (with the exception of the 4 cyl Mustang IIs that sold better than any other Mustang except the first ones) since day one. Not just to rental fleets, but to the average consumer that has no need for a 400 hp V8 for daily driving. The Mustnag was initially only available in a 6 cyl version and in fact, the entire Mustang concept was built around a small engine.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:02 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,020,253 times
from what i've seen on Mustang forums, the mpg differences between the 2 motors will show up more when the cars are driven hard. The GT seems it will get thirstier then the v6, but that would be expected. That 20+ avg for the GT can drop in a hurry when putting the hammer down, but does anyone buy a GT (or any other performance model) to tip toe around never unleashing the hp under the hood?
If i would have bought a v8, sure i could brag that "hey it can maybe get 26mpg" but as i'd be testing those 420+ ponies, i'm sure it would sound more like "yeah i only get maybe 17, but it's a helluva lot of fun..."

like my son in law's 500hp s2k that gets maybe 15 mpg on e85..... he didnt build that car for mileage lol

Old 12-03-2012, 07:03 AM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
I will be buying a new car in 2013. I have narrowed it down to a V6 basic model Mustang, Challenger, or Camaro. My budget is $20K to $25K total, out the door. I will be using the car for business and leisure, and anticipate putting on 40K miles per year. Which car is the best bang for the buck? Which one will last the longest with the least repairs/maintenance? Which one has the best current promotions and warranties?

Can someone also ease my mind about Chrysler products? I have the hots for the Challenger, but have heard horror stories about Chryslers and their transmission problems. Do these problems apply to the Challenger? Are there any other problems with the Challenger that I should avoid buying one?

The Mustang seems to be the cheapest of the 3 and I am comfortable buying Ford products. The Camaro is pretty nice too.
How important are your insurance costs for that. We have a very sporty Impala. Just a thought. I had a Camaro once and the insurance on it made it a very expensive car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive