Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 05:36 AM

7,301 posts, read 13,513,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
I have never - in any of my vehicles - had a problem with ethanol-blend gas. Ever. And that includes everything from push mowers to my trucks.

E85 is a different story. Vehicles' computers have to be calibrated to burn that stuff. All its properties are considerably different than straight gasoline.
Oh I know. I was commenting on ethanol production on the whole. There was a trend of flex fuel vehicles and the promise of more e85 fueling stations, which never really materialized.

E10 was supposed to be just the start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 07:09 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,369,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
We just got a new Tacoma for use at work. There is a warning in the owners manual, as well as one printed on the gas cap, to not use anything over 10% ethanol blend.
That's because it's not a Flex-Fuel Vehicle.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandsUpThumbsDown View Post
Oh I know. I was commenting on ethanol production on the whole. There was a trend of flex fuel vehicles and the promise of more e85 fueling stations, which never really materialized.

E10 was supposed to be just the start.
What's odd about this - considering its relatively unpopular standing - is that in the last 2 years, I've seen more gas stations offering E85 than ever before. I don't know if they're trying to push it, or if there's some mandate, or what.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
What's odd about this - considering its relatively unpopular standing - is that in the last 2 years, I've seen more gas stations offering E85 than ever before. I don't know if they're trying to push it, or if there's some mandate, or what.
Where do you live? They are few and far between in the east. I think there are maybe 2 or 3 stations in the entire state of MD that have it. I've found it at a few stations in NY. Zero in NJ and DE to my knowledge.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Where do you live? They are few and far between in the east. I think there are maybe 2 or 3 stations in the entire state of MD that have it. I've found it at a few stations in NY. Zero in NJ and DE to my knowledge.
Minneapolis. Corn-based Midwest, versus Big Oil Owned East Coast.

Old 12-04-2012, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Minneapolis. Corn-based Midwest, versus Big Oil Owned East Coast.
Ahh. Yes that makes much sense then .

Old 12-04-2012, 11:03 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,714,464 times
Quote:
I'm perhaps one of the 13 Americans who has a car that can run on e85. I've encountered it about 4 times in two years. I don't think it's the answer. I did get it for a full dollar less than 87 octane in NY after sandy though.
My Grand Cherokee is flex fuel. I've yet to see E85 in Virginia to buy it though!

Old 12-04-2012, 11:14 AM

3,041 posts, read 7,933,545 times
My catalitic converter was plugged up and had to be replaced,gas mileage is 2-3 miles less per gal. on my toyota.

Last edited by DanBev; 12-04-2012 at 11:15 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 12-04-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
My catalitic converter was plugged up and had to be replaced,gas mileage is 2-3 miles less per gal. on my toyota.
What does that have to do with this thread?

Old 12-04-2012, 02:37 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Actually, that is not correct. I did lawn care - as a sideline business - for a lot of years. I'm in a state where 10% ethanol is mandated. I never rebuilt a carb on any of my mowers. I cleaned them constantly, yes, but never rebuilt them. There aren't any "soft seals" inside small engine carbs. There will be the occasional rubber o-ring, a nylon bushing or two, and typical hard gasket material. Small engine shops are making a killing by telling customers they need to have their carbs rebuilt, when in reality they just need them cleaned.

Now, regarding cars & trucks... The jury is out. Of all the vehicles I've run on ethanol, only one of them has shown different mileage because of running ethanol versus non-ethanol gas. My '93 Chevy 4x4 truck will get 16mpg on the road with ethanol blend, and 18mpg with non-ethanol. My Volvo runs the exact same mileage regardless, as does my wife's CRV. In all the years I've run ethanol blend through my cars & trucks, I have NEVER had a fuel problem that had ANYTHING to do with the ethanol.
My bike gets 165 miles per tank on regular gas (3.something gal.) E-10 drops that to 135, and on E-15 it's down to 83. That just purely sucks, it burns more gasoline *with* the alcohol than without it. My wife's bike has started blowing gas out from somewhere but I haven't torn it apart to see if it is something caused by the alcohol.

My trimmer/brush cutter got harder and harder to start with the E-blend, then quit altogether after only a year of use. My garden tractor is now showing signs of carb problems on the E-10 and last month my chainsaw started spewing gas, seal gone, and very nearly caught fire.

This stuff sucks.

And how do you get alcohol from corn/grain? You have to mash, which requires fuel burned for heat, ferment, then distill, which requires additional fuel burned for heat. Then there is the fuel burned for planting, spraying, weed control, and harvesting.

Ethanol isn't saving anything, it's costing *more* and more fuel burned (wasted). It's completely ridiculous, the public has been sold a bill of goods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive