Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 02:06 PM

16,563 posts, read 15,112,990 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn Buck View Post
Funny, if I followed your advice I would get stuck and it would take me more than 8 hours...

exageration
Are you here to argue or ask for advice? Read the replies and take from them whatever you want. BTW, if you just go to a tag place with the seller, they will take care of everything you need. They'll hand you a brand new license plate on the spot too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2017, 02:10 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,584,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Are you here to argue or ask for advice? Read the replies and take from them whatever you want. BTW, if you just go to a tag place with the seller, they will take care of everything you need. They'll hand you a brand new license plate on the spot too.
It's almost five years later. It is pointless to ask the op any questions.

Old 06-17-2017, 02:35 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,890,140 times
I find it hilarious that people go on a world-wide forum and ask questions that are totally dependent on the laws in the state where they live.
Sure, I can tell you all about private party sales in Montana:
The seller will keep the license plates.
The seller must sign the title in front of a Notary Public. If there are two names on the title, they both must sign in front of the Notary.
The Bill Of Sale or the signed/Notarized title with your name as buyer is your permit to operate the vehicle for up to 40 days. While the BOS can be notarized, it does not have to be.
There is no sales tax or use tax.
There is no "tag place". You must go to the DMV office at the County Courthouse to transfer the title, register the vehicle, and get new plates or put a set of your own old plates on it.
It is illegal to put plates on the vehicle until it is registered.

Now, you know what to do in Montana.
What are the rules in YOUR state? I really have no idea! To be honest, I really don't much care, either, since the chances of me ever buying a vehicle and registering it in YOUR state are slim to none.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:06 PM

6,031 posts, read 6,080,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I find it hilarious that people go on a world-wide forum and ask questions that are totally dependent on the laws in the state where they live.
Sure, I can tell you all about private party sales in Montana:
The seller will keep the license plates.
The seller must sign the title in front of a Notary Public. If there are two names on the title, they both must sign in front of the Notary.
The Bill Of Sale or the signed/Notarized title with your name as buyer is your permit to operate the vehicle for up to 40 days. While the BOS can be notarized, it does not have to be.
There is no sales tax or use tax.
There is no "tag place". You must go to the DMV office at the County Courthouse to transfer the title, register the vehicle, and get new plates or put a set of your own old plates on it.
It is illegal to put plates on the vehicle until it is registered.

Now, you know what to do in Montana.
What are the rules in YOUR state? I really have no idea! To be honest, I really don't much care, either, since the chances of me ever buying a vehicle and registering it in YOUR state are slim to none.
Nah, that won't work in CA MI or WA. You're crazy.

Nyuck nyuck nyuck!

Back in 2002 I went through this pretty thoroughly to buy a BMW sedan from MI, when I lived in WA. It actually did involve a notary, a bank, and more. I insured it here in WA before leaving for MI...I had all the info I needed, from seller... and drove it x-country w/o issue. In retrospect shipping would have been easier but the adventure was enjoyable enough if you like distance driving as I do.

Contemplating buying a CA vehicle so maybe I'll just mosey on down to CA-specific forums and figure out how to get it from there to here.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:13 PM

421 posts, read 537,118 times
Private sale works well enough. I've just signed over title and done an as-is bill of sale. Buyer has to deal with it from that point forward (own plates etc). When I've bought I've had to buy & get bill of sale, old registration, and then go to town hall to get it registered in my name, and to get plates. Then go back and get said vehicle. Easier at a dealer, with temp plates, but not that bad on private sale. Last camper I bought the seller loaned me the plate, and last car the seller was kind enough to follow me home to drop off the car (and I drove her back). Last car I sold the buyer flew out, picked the car up and drove off, after we signed stuff.

I've thought about buying out of state, but boy the paperwork looks like a pain to get a temp plate and all. I think I'd rather tow it home on a flat bed if I ever do that.

Old 06-20-2017, 11:28 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,155,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn Buck View Post
My Hyundai just hit 300,000 miles and its doing alright, but I want to buy something newer. The thing is, I've never purchased a car from a private seller and the Indiana BMV website isn't that detailed.

Now, I'm not leaving out buying from a dealership, but there is a car online right now that I want to go look at, and its being sold private party... its just I'm clueless.

I understand laws/rules vary from state to state and insurance companies have different policies. I reside in SE Indiana and I'm willing to purchased in: Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky... heck, maybe even further.

As far as I know (think I know):

1) Seller signs and dates the title
2) Buyer (me) signs and dates the title under the buyer section
3) Bill of Sale - both seller and buyer fill out their appropriate sections
4) Odometer Disclosure Statement (Indiana new title requirement) - both seller and buyer fill out their appropriate sections
5) The seller has the right to remove the license plates from the vehicle
6) It is the buyers (me) responsibility to obtain a new title and register the vehicle. In Indiana, there is a 31 day grace period to register & title the vehicle for the first time (however, I believe this is the case for vehicles with an Indiana title, so I'm not sure about out-of-state purchases)

In order to register and title the vehicle for the first time, I must visit a license branch/BMV. I need to provide proof of insurance and proof of my SS number.

Well that's all fantastic... I can actually see a benefit of the dealership

How can I drive the car without a license plate?
Can I get a temporary plate or Trip/Travel permit? Is it legal to drive the car without plates so long as I have a signed title and bill-of-sell? I know some states allow a grace period of driving without plates (Michigan for example allows 3 days), but I can't find any information on the IN BMV website. Keep in mind I may need to drive the car without plates to the BMV branch itself. I'm also considering out-of-state purchasing...

Insurance...
Well, I need proof of insurance to register the car. I'm wondering if my existing policy will temporarily cover my car purchase. I know I know, I should contact my insurance provider (USAA), but I noticed other insurance companies have this in writing on their website... State Farm (for example) has a 14-day grace period. USAA is very secretive and doesn't disclose much information online.

Regardless, I will contact an USAA agent. Also, getting pulled over I will want coverage... and forbid I get into an accident.
Why don't you just call the DMV and ask? For that matter the DMV website probably has all the information you need.

Old 06-20-2017, 01:50 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,890,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
Nah, that won't work in CA MI or WA. You're crazy.

Nyuck nyuck nyuck!

Back in 2002 I went through this pretty thoroughly to buy a BMW sedan from MI, when I lived in WA. It actually did involve a notary, a bank, and more. I insured it here in WA before leaving for MI...I had all the info I needed, from seller... and drove it x-country w/o issue. In retrospect shipping would have been easier but the adventure was enjoyable enough if you like distance driving as I do.

Contemplating buying a CA vehicle so maybe I'll just mosey on down to CA-specific forums and figure out how to get it from there to here.
That's easy, I have done it.
In CA, the plates stay on the vehicle forever, or until it is registered in another state, so just make sure the registration is current and drive it home.
If buying from a private party, the seller will give you the paperwork (there is a coupon the seller should tear off the title and send to CA DMV), take your money, and you are good to go home and register the vehicle in Washington.
If buying from a dealer, it is a whole different ball game! When I did that, I had to pay the CA sales tax (even though the dealer was well aware that the vehicle was going to Montana) and get a CA title. That was many years ago, though, so ask the dealer about how he handles sales to out-of-state buyers.
Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive