Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 06:44 PM

387 posts, read 676,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
Everyone here who says if you aren't doing somthing wrong than what are you afraid of don't get the point. You are the people who are more like sheep that need being told what to do & when to do it because you have no real direction in your lives. You want to be ruled.

This is just one more bit of freedom the goverment is taking away. The goverment continues to take a little bit at a time from each & everyone of us. The day the patriot act was rushed into place with little opposition was the day this country truly stoped being the land of free. The terriorst won, & they gess what. They aren't the arabs. They were our own elected officals. We all drank the kool-aid, myself inculded. Now it's almost too late to do anything about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I am not a sheep. I am a responsible driver. If / when I get involved in a collision, it's not going to be my fault. I want as much evidence available as possible to prove that. I'm very confident that if someday I'm driving a car equipped with an EDR that is involved in a collision, the data from the EDR will show that I was driving responsibly and did everything humanly possible to avoid the incident.

I fail to see why any decent driver would not want one of these in their car.
(((SIGH)) even the best drivers have accidents that they have caused. You aren't a machine. You aren't perfect. Carrying on in such an arrogant I can do no wrong manner tells me all I need to know about you. Keep drinking he kool-aid. That's it drink it down. Carefull you don't choke on it. Oh it's ok f you do because your Obama care will kick in & take care of you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 07:11 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,882,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Driving itself is voluntary - and is a privilege, not a right. People seem to forget that.
Being innocent until proven guilty is a Right.

Having a black box present in my personal property is not a right the Gov or anyone else has.

This is all leading up to making many people take a veri chip by choice, if not wanting to be first on the block.

Ok by me, BUT NOT OK for me....

And having this in a vehicle I buy for my personal use these boxes will be by passed and I will do my best to make those who would use it pay for that use.

I might not be able to stop the unit from gathering info, but I bet i can stop it from sending any correct info.

By the time i got done the box would claim I was doin' mach 60 and have been to the edge of the solar system and back 20 times.

Is that illegal?

Old 12-11-2012, 07:15 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,346,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Being innocent until proven guilty is a Right.

Having a black box present in my personal property is not a right the Gov or anyone else has.

This is all leading up to making many people take a veri chip by choice, if not wanting to be first on the block.

Ok by me, BUT NOT OK for me....

And having this in a vehicle I buy for my personal use these boxes will be by passed and I will do my best to make those who would use it pay for that use.

I might not be able to stop the unit from gathering info, but I bet i can stop it from sending any correct info.

By the time i got done the box would claim I was doin' mach 60 and have been to the edge of the solar system and back 20 times.

Is that illegal?
Ummm... Again, driving is a privilege, not a right. You are suppose to prove that you are at least 16 to drive. Is that infringing on your privacy? You are supposed to prove you have insurance. Is that infringing on your privacy? You have to prove that you have a drivers' license, with correct personal information on it. Is that infringing on your privacy?

Driving is a privilege, not a right.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Ummm... Again, driving is a privilege, not a right. You are suppose to prove that you are at least 16 to drive. Is that infringing on your privacy? You are supposed to prove you have insurance. Is that infringing on your privacy? You have to prove that you have a drivers' license, with correct personal information on it. Is that infringing on your privacy?

Driving is a privilege, not a right.
Article [IV]
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

I believe the Founding Fathers thought people would travel any way they could, by horse back ,wagon, coaches, boats and ships, to include ice boats. I believe they knew means of transport would change. As early as the 1790's steam engine were used to move things.

These boxes as i see it are against this Article [IV], because I do not surrender this Right just because I own private property which is a internal combustion device to go some where. I may use the privilege of a lic to operate, but even that does not surrender my Rights.

Where does it say we surrender any Rights when we operate a vehicle? We are subject to felony crimes, misdemeanor crime and infractions, if we screw up, but even that must be proven in a court of LAW.

No where does it say the Gov or other private party can install any thing in our privately owned objects.

Are we not secured in our persons which i take to mean my body whats on my body and in my containers, 'and effects' a bike car, truck etc etc etc etc boat, horse, air plane, Or Not?

That privilege only applies to whether or not I can operate.

Old 12-11-2012, 07:37 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,346,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Article [IV]
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

I believe the Founding Fathers thought people would travel any way they could, by horse back ,wagon, coaches, boats and ships, to include ice boats. I believe they knew means of transport would change. As early as the 1790's steam engine were used to move things.

These boxes as i see it are against this Article [IV], because I do not surrender this Right just because I own private property which is a internal combustion device to go some where. I may use the privilege of a lic to operate, but even that does not surrender my Rights.

Where does it say we surrender any Rights when we operate a vehicle? We are subject to felony crimes, misdemeanor crime and infractions, if we screw up, but even that must be proven in a court of LAW.

No where does it say the Gov or other private party can install any thing in our privately owned objects.

Are we not secured in our persons which i take to mean my body whats on my body and in my containers, 'and effects' a bike car, truck etc etc etc etc boat, horse, air plane, Or Not?

That privilege only applies to whether or not I can operate.
Actually, there is a HUGE difference between your own private property, and public property (aka, roads). The same rules do NOT apply.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:08 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,128,519 times
Vehicles have regularly been given a "lowered" expectation of privacy in U.S. law. Even if you think you have a right to privacy in your car, there's a good chance a court won't agree, so never bring anything in your car that you wouldn't mind the police seeing.
legal body of law, often called the motor vehicle exception, that has consistently established a private citizen's lack of rights regarding search and seizure in a vehicle. In essence, with simple probable cause, an officer can detain individuals, search vehicles, and search compartments within vehicles at their own discretion without a warrant.
Some states, however, have varying laws regarding the search and seizure process for vehicles, but it is universal that the reasonable expectation of privacy is nonexistent in vehicle stops, as well as during the ensuring searches.
These rights are only further being eroded through recent legislation enacted under the guise of preventing terrorism, which grants law enforcement even wider rights for vehicle searches without warrants or driver consent.

The Supreme Court also held that individuals in automobiles have a reduced expectation of privacy, because vehicles generally do not serve as residences or repositories of personal effects. Vehicles may not be randomly stopped and searched; there must be probable cause or reasonable suspicion of criminal activity. Items in "plaiview"may be seized; areas that could potentially hide weapons may also be searched. With probable cause, police officers may search any area in the vehicle. However, they may not extend the search to the vehicle's passengers without probable cause to search those passengers or consent from the passenger(s) to search their persons or effects.
In Aeizona V. Gant, 556us (2009), the Supreme Court ruled that a Cop needs a warrant before searching a motor vehicle after an arrest of an occupant of that vehicle, unless at the time of the search the person being arrested is unsecured and within reaching distance of the passenger compartment of the vehicle or police officers have reason to believe that the evidence for the crime for which the person is being arrested will be found in the vehicle.[

Old 12-11-2012, 08:22 PM

I dunno...... I own a 1986 Conversion Van with tinted windows, and they have curtains. When i get out and lock it up, I expect my privacy to be mine.... This van has a bed and i take it hunting and camping, so it may have several guns. I have a ccw permit and I know better than to have any long guns loaded.

I'ld say that is my property and I have sole Right to the van and it's contents.

It's going to take a warrant to get it open, and if nothing is found it's going to take the LEO's job over it. Since i don't go around breaking the law for anything in the first place I would say it's best to leave me to my private business and usually cops agree.

I do carry a booklet copy of both the Fed's Cons and another for the state of NH which just pretty much mimics the Feds.

I hear ya on expectations...... In my back yard i expect more privacy than I do in the front yard, but over all I expect that where i live about anywhere since i live 1/2 mile into the woods and with neighbors at such a distance, that when i want to target shoot I just do.

Sometimes i go down by the brook, other times in the field, and sometimes when it rains i just sit in a chair in the barn and shoot over towards the compost pile.

I expect my Right to Privacy will be adhered to, in and out of a vehicle. Same thing goes for my motorcycle. My leather luggage is not as secure as my hard bags that lock. Screw around with my soft luggage is one thing, mess with my locked luggage and you better have a warrant.

Want a black box in my vehicle and you will need that warrant. And i will send a bill for the private info with in...

Old 12-21-2012, 06:21 PM

132 posts, read 172,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I support this 100%. In fact, I signed up for Snapshot with Progressive Insurance whereby they monitored my driving for 1 month (and I in turn got a 30% discount on my insurance).

These black boxes can be used to punish those jackasses that drive recklessly and cause accidents.

Monitor me, please. And can you assign an government agent to follow me around. I wouldn't mind some personal protection.

If you don't do anything wrong, what are you afraid of?

I really can't decide if you're a troll, incredibly naive or just flat out crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive