Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 02:00 PM

4,287 posts, read 7,985,590 times

Advertisements

Georgia Super Speeder Law

This is an unannounced (in practice, a temporary sign on a highway billboard doesn't count, since there are so many out-of-state drivers) surcharge on individuals who are found "guilty" of driving 85 mph or above on any road in Georgia or found "guilty" of driving 75 mph or more on any 2-lane road. It collects the initial fine & then....TWO MONTHS LATER....sends out a notice collecting $200 more, at penalty of license suspension. Sometimes people don't even get the 2nd notice & their license gets suspended in Georgia, which results in the usual unpleasantness.

Here is how it is administered in practice. Usually to out-of-state motorists who are viewed as less likely to contest the initial fine. Do you see anything wrong with this in the least? What do you guys think?

"Super Speeder" Fine in Georgia

In addition, several times the speeds the drivers are accused of driving are not the actual speeds they WERE driving. Ex: A mother in a HONDA ODYSSEY was accused of driving 88 mph in a 70, when she said she had her cruise control on 70-72. Are you freaking kidding me?! I personally drive a Honda Odyssey & believe me, you KNOW it when it's going 88 mph, and you don't keep it at that rate for too long if you're not in West Texas.

If most drivers are continually driving at 80-85 mph on the highway & that is the prevailing flow of traffic, then it means that the speed limit should be 80-85 mph! 85th Percentile Speed Law is the best guideline for creating safe speed limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 02:09 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,796,757 times
Not again

Old 12-11-2012, 02:31 PM

Just read a few of the anecdotes on the 2nd link & tell me if you don't see anything wrong there. Any non-disclosure of penalties, as well as double jeopardy violations? Do you see that there?

Old 12-11-2012, 02:37 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,796,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
Just read a few of the anecdotes on the 2nd link & tell me if you don't see anything wrong there. Any non-disclosure of penalties, as well as double jeopardy violations? Do you see that there?
No, all I saw was the subject title then blah, blah, blah

Old 12-11-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimme3steps View Post
No, all I saw was the subject title then blah, blah, blah
That's fine. Now please do me the courtesy of reading the anecdotes and telling me if there is some sort of violation of disclosure rules or double jeopardy rules occurring here.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:04 PM

2,728 posts, read 5,341,643 times
Pretty much everybody who has a run-in with the law is innocent, treated poorly, and punished excessively. Isn't that the way it works?

Old 12-11-2012, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Pretty much everybody who has a run-in with the law is innocent, treated poorly, and punished excessively. Isn't that the way it works?
But there is something more to it than that in this particular case. Read the anecdotes & tell me what you think of them. Is there anything remotely wrong in terms of disclosure laws & double jeopardy laws?

Old 12-11-2012, 03:15 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,577,260 times
In Wisconsin, I just heard from a friend to whom this had happened last week. She had a ticket a year ago, and thought she had paid the fine in full, in installments. One year later, she gets a letter stating that her DL had been suspended for non-payment of the fine. So she pays the remaining $48 of the fine, and is then assessed a $60 fee for reinstatement of suspended DL. No letter was sent during the year to indicate that there was still an unpaid fine, nor to warn of impending suspension.

In effect, the state is saying "Remember that fine you paid a year ago? Well, if you can't find your receipt, pay it again, plus another $60. And please hurry, we're hurting for revenue down here."

Old 12-11-2012, 03:28 PM

5,994 posts, read 19,885,870 times
Although I'm ok with the fine itself (and I won't claim to have never exceeded 85mph) because the speed limit is posted, this particular application of it seems unfair. It is structured in a way that could prove to be more problematic than is reasonably expected based on current fines.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:41 PM

2,728 posts, read 5,341,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet View Post
But there is something more to it than that in this particular case. Read the anecdotes & tell me what you think of them. Is there anything remotely wrong in terms of disclosure laws & double jeopardy laws?
I already read them, and I already told you.

I don't like speeding tickets. That's why, after several when I was younger, I decided to drive slower and more carefully. It has now been over 20 years.

The bottom line is that nobody is required to sign that line, and admit guilt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive