Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 07:03 AM

5,228 posts, read 15,206,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Women are very terrible drivers!!

I feel scared when there is a female at the wheel!

They have no control and have no idea of what's going on.
My wife is a great driver, She used to drive ambulances, and got very good at spacial awareness in them. I took her out to an autocross and taught her how to race and she was also quite good at it, (though less agressive than I am, so she was usually 2 seconds slower than me). If you know what autocross is, you know it's ALL about spacial awareness and knowing exactly where your car is in relation to the cone marked course.

I have no problem being a passenger when she's driving. Latest thing I've taught her is how to tow the travel trailer properly. Hardest thing for her (and really anyone) is backing up with the trailer on, but she's catching on fairly quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 11:13 AM

30,703 posts, read 79,429,689 times
If you want the answer, get a lawn chair and some snacks. Go sit at an intersection with a 4 way stop and watch for a few hours.

Frmo what I have seen it depends Some women are awesome drivers, some men are horrid drivers. However overally I woudl say a slight majority of women are worse. I think that is because:

1. Men tend to be more decisive. Indecision causes accidents.

2. Women are better at multitasking and tend to do it always. Men are usually more focused. safe driving requries focus. However I woudl bet that in general women using a cell phone while driving cause fewer problems than men using a cell phone while driving.

3. The whole spacial understanding thing (which is why I think all the women in my fmaily tend to charge up on other cars and then brake hard).

4. To men, being a good driver is part of being a man. Many young men (like my son) will spend hours and hours just driving around practicing and trying to become a better driver. He knows how everythign works and the physics of correcting a slide or spin. He goes out into parking lots with snow and practices making the car lose control and then regaining it (when he doesnt just let it lose control for fun). Women use cars to get places.

5. Someone pointed out in another thread that when you see a car tailgating, bouncing betweeen lanes and trying to drive 90 in traffic going 65, it is uually a woman int eh 25-35 age range. I first thoguht P{hsaw on that, but I started watching and it is true. Could it be that woemn are more impatient than men, or more rushed? Maybe is it s self esteeme thing, perhaps women are more worried about making a bad impression by being late. Maybe men are just more self centered and do not care as much if someone has to wait for them? Not sure, ut there is something there.

6. I see woemn doing things they should not be doing more often than men. (Painting nails, applying makeup, reading, taxting, turning around and looking at the kids while driving, etc.) that may well be a symptom of any or several of the things mentioned above.

I question the old wisdom that men are more aggessive. I frequently see in business women trying to overcompesate for percieved lack of aggression by being ridiculously aggressive. I think women are training themselves to be super aggressive in order to make them feel the same as men, and in the end the end up being more aggressive. I know that is true with a lot of women and not true with others. I do not know whether it is a majority or not. I also quetion the original concept that men tend to be agressive. I do not know whether it is a result of the new merto man getting in touch with his feelings and learning to be sensative, but I find the majority of young men that hang around our daughters to be whimpy. Not necessarily physically whimpy, but psychologically and emotionally whimpy. Often they have serious problems caused by a complete lack of aggression or ambition. Maybe we are drilling it out of young men, maybe it is just natural I do not know. I do nto remember so many whimpy young men when I was a kid, but then maybe I just did not notice.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:22 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,289,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
Women are very terrible drivers!!

I feel scared when there is a female at the wheel!

They have no control and have no idea of what's going on.

When men take risks thy acknowledge the danger and risk.

But women have absolutely no idea about the dangers of the 2-tonne of metal they are in control of!

Saying all women are terrible drivers, is like saying all men have small penis'. Just sayin'

Old 12-12-2012, 11:32 AM

1,037 posts, read 3,143,609 times
Size doesn't matter.

Yes, I know what is coming next.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praxis View Post
Size doesn't matter.

Yes, I know what is coming next.
Then I need not say it!

Old 12-12-2012, 02:09 PM

406 posts, read 1,035,449 times
No, although my mother is a better driver but she gotta be the exception.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:10 PM

406 posts, read 1,035,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
is like saying all men have small penis'. Just sayin'
well don't they?!

I had to say that sorry

Old 12-12-2012, 02:34 PM

564 posts, read 1,488,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Saying all women are terrible drivers, is like saying all men have small penis'. Just sayin'
Actually it isn't. Having something, or not having something, isn't the same as how well you do something.

A much better analogy would be saying "All men are terrible multi-taskers", which while not true as not EVERY man is a terrible multi-tasker, it's generally accepted that as a group, men are usually not as good at multi-tasking as women are.

Also, he never said "All", which means he is referring to "women" as a group, not individual women. In this light, we are in the neighborhood of statements such as "Cars are heavy". I suppose you could find an example of a car that's relatively light, but I don't think anybody is going to argue that saying cars are heavy is wrong. "All cars are individuals are should be evaluated on their individual weights before being labeled as heavy!" would be a funny statement to make.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:56 PM

1,276 posts, read 1,923,514 times
I am an excellent driver and do none of the things the men are mentioning here. Short story: I picked a male friend up from the airport yesterday in his truck. When I arrived at the airport, I handed him his keys to take over the driving (afterall it was his truck). I went from being relaxed and confident about my safety to feeling white-knuckle nervous when he began driving. He was doing all the things the men are saying women do: texting, looking at his smart phone, tailgating, chatting, traveling too fast (we just had a huge snow storm here), braking & accelerating fast, etc. You cannot make broad generalizations about male & female drivers the way some of you are doing in this post! There are excellent women drivers out there, and also excellent male drivers. Alternatively -- there are terrible drivers of both sexes.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfs View Post
Actually it isn't. Having something, or not having something, isn't the same as how well you do something.

A much better analogy would be saying "All men are terrible multi-taskers", which while not true as not EVERY man is a terrible multi-tasker, it's generally accepted that as a group, men are usually not as good at multi-tasking as women are.

Also, he never said "All", which means he is referring to "women" as a group, not individual women. In this light, we are in the neighborhood of statements such as "Cars are heavy". I suppose you could find an example of a car that's relatively light, but I don't think anybody is going to argue that saying cars are heavy is wrong. "All cars are individuals are should be evaluated on their individual weights before being labeled as heavy!" would be a funny statement to make.

I think I may have hit on a sore subject here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive