Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 04:43 PM

30,703 posts, read 79,429,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
. Alternatively -- there are terrible drivers of both sexes.

Yes. No one has said otherwise. However the discussion is whether a larger percentage of women are terrible drivers than men who are terrible drivers. The perception seems to be that a larger percentage of women are terrible drivers. (My wife agrees).

thus although you may be a great driver you may be an exception to the majority. I think of the maybe 200 woemn I know and only a few are really good drivers, most are average or below average and quite a few are terrible, or they are generally good but have some really terrible habits. After reading a thread on CD I started looking to see who the driver was when I noticed a car doing somthing pushy and/or stupid, as I mentioned, I was surprised to discver a vast majority are youngish women. I expected the pushy tailgaters would be smug rich middle aged men. While some are, it is not very many.

I think of the 400 or so men I know, and a large majority are execellent drivers and pride themselves on it. Still some are terrible drivers and a few are average. With the men I know there are far fewer average drivers. Most are execellent or terrible. I think men especially young men are more prone to do that one really stupid thing that gets them or somone esle hurt, while an appararent majority of women are just bad drivers all the time.

To me when it comes to driving, average is not ok. People should pay attention and focus focus focus and practice and learn. I have been driving for 33 years and have logged probably millions of miles, but I am stll learning new things. Some of them are new due to againg like how to drive somewhere at night when you cannot read any of the signs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 04:55 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,289,860 times
All kidding aside, I will admit, many women seem to have their minds on "other" things as they cruise down the road. I have seen the make-up being put on, hair being combed and even nail polish being applied. I have enough problems with mascara in the privacy of my bathroom, let alone barreling down the hwy at 70mph!

Of course...today as DH and I were driving down the hwy, he's driving in the fast line and comes up on a car doing 45-50mph, brakes lights going on and off. His comments were directed at "the lady" driving. As we pass, lo and behold....gentleMAN talking on his cell AND shaving.

Old 12-12-2012, 05:00 PM

30,703 posts, read 79,429,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
All kidding aside, I will admit, many women seem to have their minds on "other" things as they cruise down the road. I have seen the make-up being put on, hair being combed and even nail polish being applied. I have enough problems with mascara in the privacy of my bathroom, let alone barreling down the hwy at 70mph!

Of course...today as DH and I were driving down the hwy, he's driving in the fast line and comes up on a car doing 45-50mph, brakes lights going on and off. His comments were directed at "the lady" driving. As we pass, lo and behold....gentleMAN talking on his cell AND shaving.
Ohh Shoot. Was that you? Sorry.

Whne I wa in college I used to ease up behind women putting on teir make up and bump them. Which one of us was stupider?

Old 12-12-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Ohh Shoot. Was that you? Sorry.

Whne I wa in college I used to ease up behind women putting on teir make up and bump them. Which one of us was stupider?
Bawahahahahaha!

Old 12-12-2012, 05:30 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,213,621 times
It depends if there is a cell phone to their ear... , I spend much time on the road, and that's one thing I've noticed, cell phones, woman and driving don't mix. Okay, let me have it..

Old 12-12-2012, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brienzi View Post
It depends if there is a cell phone to their ear... , I spend much time on the road, and that's one thing I've noticed, cell phones, woman and driving don't mix. Okay, let me have it..

Because men, cell phones and driving, do mix?????

Old 12-12-2012, 09:40 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,830,926 times
Hi all--

A few observations and anecdotes I've made over the years:

1) I never let my mother drive. Period.

2) If you see a car with a dent on either (or both) rear bumpers, I guarantee you it's a woman driver.

3) In the past year or so, three people in my immediate circle of friends have totaled cars. They have all been women, and all of them were at fault.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:52 PM

7,641 posts, read 18,058,879 times
Although woman may, on average, have inferior spatial skills to men, you do not need particularly superb spatial skills to maneuver a car in most conditions. Where accidents come into play seems to be what you do when you drive. Young men (in my experience) tend to be much more reckless than girls of the same age when they drive; no wonder the insurance rates are so high for 16-18 year old males. I've been in cars that have passed buses up blind hills in two-lane roads and with a driver who apparently had no problem going 100 mph during the day and blowing stop signs at 40 mph by night.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:05 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,644,978 times
Imo, women are worse drivers in general, men are more likely to do stupid things. In other words, a woman is more likely to simply drive into a lake, a man is more likely to spin out and slide into a lake.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:16 AM

4,287 posts, read 7,993,780 times
Most likely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive