Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 11:35 AM

556 posts, read 1,228,244 times

Advertisements

Drove my 2009 G8 GT through last winter on Firestone Winterforce snow tires and had 0 issues. It was the best snow car I have ever owned.

Drove my heads/cam/stalled 05 GTO through 3 Pittsburgh winters without issue as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2012, 11:51 AM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Meaning I cannot get them. No one makes snow tires to fit that car. I have been to a dozen tire store and three online places. Same story everywhere. "Sorry no one makes snow tires that will fit your car. In fact, i think there is only one company (maybe two) that makes one tire that will fit. For that reason tires are insanely expensive compared to other cars. I think that are about $125 each, compared to $60 for more other cars or $80 for passenger truck tires (at least not $250 corvette tires).
Snow tires do not need to be the same width as your summer tires. The only important thing is they are the same circumference so it doesn't mess up the speedometer/odometer. In fact, often people will go with slightly thinner snow tires as it helps cut through deeper snow.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:40 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
Snow tires do not need to be the same width as your summer tires. The only important thing is they are the same circumference so it doesn't mess up the speedometer/odometer. In fact, often people will go with slightly thinner snow tires as it helps cut through deeper snow.
Yes. Thinner tires are better, that I why I said it is a problem because the tires are so wide. As I said, the wide tires turn it into a giant sled. I once slid at lesat 50 yards when trying to stop. However snow tires cannot be any width at all if they do not make them to fit my car.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:43 PM

3,963 posts, read 5,695,888 times
Snow tires on my E36 M3 while living in Europe. Never had a problem.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:39 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yes. Thinner tires are better, that I why I said it is a problem because the tires are so wide. As I said, the wide tires turn it into a giant sled. I once slid at lesat 50 yards when trying to stop. However snow tires cannot be any width at all if they do not make them to fit my car.
Yep. And this is exactly why you'll see some sports cars with dumb-looking steel wheels on them, driving around in the winter. The stock performance tires are horrible in snow, and the rims are too wide. So in order to drive in the winter, the owner has to buy some narrow steel rims and put snow tires on them.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:46 PM

890 posts, read 2,280,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Yep. And this is exactly why you'll see some sports cars with dumb-looking steel wheels on them, driving around in the winter. The stock performance tires are horrible in snow, and the rims are too wide. So in order to drive in the winter, the owner has to buy some narrow steel rims and put snow tires on them.
Wait, people normally buy snow tires and use the same rims as their summer tires? Lol therein lies my confusion. My mom's set of snow tires for her Z28 had their own rims. She just stacked them in the back of the garage when not in use. I just figured that's what everyone who has snow tires does....guess not!

Old 12-17-2012, 02:51 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,371,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fennec2009 View Post
Wait, people normally buy snow tires and use the same rims as their summer tires? Lol therein lies my confusion. My mom's set of snow tires for her Z28 had their own rims. She just stacked them in the back of the garage when not in use. I just figured that's what everyone who has snow tires does....guess not!
No, actually I think most people drive cars that do NOT have wide performance tires. For instance, I have 185/15s on my old Volvo. They're fairly narrow tires, and I use them year around.

I remember years ago though, in the old bias-ply tires days, that it was pretty much a given that you had a pair of studded snow tires in the garage, and you'd throw them on the car in November or December.

Old 12-17-2012, 02:51 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raveabouttoast View Post
I think it depends on what kind of driver you are. I must fall into the crazy bastards type

I like RWD in the snow because you have a little more control. You have the ability to "steer" with the throttle. Need to make the car turn in a little more, give it slightly more gas. To me, understeering is scarier than oversteering. In a FWD car, when you start to understeer, there's little you can do. But with AWD or RWD, you have a better chance of driving out of it.

Plus you can't do true power slides with a FWD car .
actually you CAN do power slides with FWD in the snow, you just have to use the proper technique. its counter intuitive i know, but it can be done.

Old 12-17-2012, 03:00 PM

2,256 posts, read 4,497,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
actually you CAN do power slides with FWD in the snow, you just have to use the proper technique. its counter intuitive i know, but it can be done.
Power slide... fwd...

You mean power understeer right off the road.. either that or TTO.. But certainly NOT a power slide.

YouTube

Old 12-17-2012, 04:48 PM

1,203 posts, read 4,082,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
Note that I said "true" power slides. I'm talking 70's car chase style! You can kick the rear out on FWD car, but you know it's just not the same .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive