Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 05:32 AM

19,031 posts, read 25,104,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperL View Post

If innovation and being WAY ahead of it's time means anything, then the Tucker would have to be at the top of the list. First car with A/C, rear mounted engine, automatic transmission, the headlights turned with the steering wheels, cornering lamps, power steering, power brakes, 4 wheel independent suspension, torsion bars with shock absorbers,padded dash, safety glass windshield, engine and transmission mounted on subframe and could be removed in minutes, Hemi heads, fuel injection, all aluminum engine, disc brakes, all things we think are modern technologies were offered in 1948.

While I agree with you that the Tucker was extremely innovative, and I would love to have one, your enthusiasm for the Tucker design has led you to credit the car with "firsts" & other features that it simply did not have when it came time to manufacture the cars. Many of these features were mentioned in the original prospectus, but never materialized on the 50 pilot cars that were produced.

>Tuckers were not available with A/C!
And, even if they were, automotive A/C was pioneered by Packard, in 1941.
I think that your confusion might stem from the fact that the Tucker's Franklin-designed engine was originally an air-cooled unit that Tucker's engineers converted to conventional water cooling. But, air conditioning? NOPE!

>Tucker was NOT the first car with an automatic transmission.
GM was the first, with an optional Hydramatic unit for the 1940 Oldsmobile.
Of the 50 Tucker pilot cars that were produced, only 2 had early versions of the Tuckermatic transmission, which was still in the design phase.
All of the others used a vacuum-operated pre-selector shift mechanism, and the driver did indeed have to use a clutch pedal.

>Tucker did not produce any cars with disc brakes, and the first American make with disc brakes was Crosley, in 1949. (Quickly abandoned by Crosley, due to major durability problems.)

>The Tucker suspension did not use torsion bars, although it did have an independent 4 wheel suspension.
It actually used a rubber "elastomeric" suspension that many of the owners later converted to a coil spring suspension, due to the problems inherent in the rubber suspension design.

>The production Tuckers did not have fuel injection.

>The prototype Tucker had a mechanism to turn the two outboard headlights, but when this proved to be unworkable, Tucker converted to a design that allowed only the center headlight to turn. However, this was still very innovative--even if only one light did swivel on the production cars.

>Power steering and power brakes were never even mentioned in the prospectus, and are not present on any of the cars.

>While the windshield was designed to pop out upon impact, Tucker was not the first to use safety glass.

If Senator Homer Ferguson and his Detroit allies had not put Tucker out of business, I am confident that the Tucker would have materialized with many more innovative features, due to Preston Tucker's desire to have a truly advanced car. However, as you can see from what I detailed above, many of the features that you believe the cars to have had were not a reality on the 50 pilot cars that were manufactured before Tucker's demise.

Last edited by Retriever; 12-24-2012 at 06:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 08:07 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,292,121 times
This may not be my favorite but I do like it a lot.

Nothing like a reverse engine swap. Camaro powered by a Ford Flathead with three deuces.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:16 AM

19,031 posts, read 25,104,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
While I agree with you that the Tucker was extremely innovative, and I would love to have one, your enthusiasm for the Tucker design has led you to credit the car with "firsts" & other features that it simply did not have when it came time to manufacture the cars. Many of these features were mentioned in the original prospectus, but never materialized on the 50 pilot cars that were produced.

>Power steering and power brakes were never even mentioned in the prospectus, and are not present on any of the cars.

Addenda:
I should have added that Pierce-Arrow introduced power brakes on its 1928 models, so even if the Tucker had power brakes, it certainly could not have been the first.

The first commercially-available power steering was on the 1951 Chrysler Imperial.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:47 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,121,230 times
Not really a Chevy guy, but one of my dream cars is a 57 Nomad, IMO is one of the best American classic cars of all time

Old 12-24-2012, 09:09 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Not really a Chevy guy, but one of my dream cars is a 57 Nomad, IMO is one of the best American classic cars of all time

Nice but where's the Nomad?

Old 12-24-2012, 09:24 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,121,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Nice but where's the Nomad?

Old 12-24-2012, 09:38 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
TY

Old 12-24-2012, 01:05 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,793,832 times
69 COPO

Old 12-24-2012, 01:13 PM

6,367 posts, read 16,793,832 times
Or

Old 12-24-2012, 01:18 PM

50,056 posts, read 46,553,810 times
My favorite car is the 67 Nova but I think the best classic was the chevelle. It changed body styles and still commanded a loyal following. Plus, a 454 just sounds thundering.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive