Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 05:35 PM

24,468 posts, read 26,003,936 times

Advertisements

I feel neckked without shoes when driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2012, 06:45 AM
mym

706 posts, read 1,170,948 times
i used to drive barefoot sometimes but i got superstitous about it as i got into two accidents while barefoot. One of them wasnt my fault but when i stepped out of the car i stepped right into a bunch of broken glass and debris. so i stopped driving barefoot.

i also used to never put 13 $ worth of gas in my car at one time. of course now that's not a problem.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:51 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I was actually stopped for speeding ( and I admit, I was) when I was about 18-19 in Scotch Plains, NJ. Cop asked me to step out of the car, along with my license and registration. My first thought? 'Aw crap...Mom is going to kill me, for driving with no shoes"! Nope, not only did he not give me a ticket, but he never mentioned the fact I was barefoot! He gave me a "stern" warning on speeding and let me go.
I know someone who was a SP cop back in the 70's and I can imagine him giving you the same warning.
Of course you may not have been around in the 70's.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:45 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,099,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I do it all the time.... I where a size 15. Some cars if I am wearing boots, or bigger shoes, a clutch pedal will be in my archway of my foot.
This. I wear a size 10.5, but there are some cars out there that have a very small area for the driver's feet. A buddy of mine owns an exotic car dealership, occasionally he gets in some older exotics like Countachs, Diablos, etc. The footwell on those cars is extremely small, if your foot is bigger than say a size 9 shoe, you'll be catching your toes up against the bottom of the steering column junction and making driving very annoying. Same goes for some old British cars, ergonomics was not a high priority for the Brits and the Italians when designing some of their cars.

Most of the time though, sneakers or loafers provide a good feel for driving. I don't like driving as much in hard soled shoes, you lose a bit of finesse.

Old 12-28-2012, 12:48 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,420,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I know someone who was a SP cop back in the 70's and I can imagine him giving you the same warning.
Of course you may not have been around in the 70's.

It was the 70's! Probably around 1971 on North Avenue in SP. Sure don't remember, or if I even knew his name tho. Remember, these was the time when women's skirts were so short, you didn't even sit on fabric when one sat down.

Old 12-28-2012, 03:18 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
I hate shoes to begin with and absolutely LOVE driving barefoot. I'd live barefoot if I could. During the warmer months (here in SA that is 10 months out of the year) I live in flipflops but have never been able to drive in them so I kick them off.

Old 12-29-2012, 10:13 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
I find light and narrow sneakers best for driving. An added benefit is that wearing sneakers, as opposed to driving in more formal shoes, makes me want to drive faster.

Old 12-29-2012, 03:34 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
I guess that it's OK to drive barefooted as long as you don't drive the car right after your farmer friend, specially if he just scooped the poop from the barn's floor. That brake pedal may be a little too sleek for the foot to get a foothold.

That said, the pedals I don't really want to handle barefooted are the bare metallic ones (like the ones on sports cars), specially in cold weather. They take a long time to warm up, and you risk getting the soles of your feet stuck on them for a while. Well...not too bad if the feet are stuck on the clutch and brake pedals, but if stuck on the clutch and gas pedals you can't stop.

Just kidding folks! I am just introducing a little humor as the new year approaches. While I have driven barefooted in the past, it's not really comfortable on long drives because your feet need the warm and soft cushion shoes provide. Now, if you are a Hobbit, then not wearing shoes is a plus.

Last edited by RayinAK; 12-29-2012 at 03:43 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive