Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 05:46 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, sir! The American auto industry's policy of "planned obsolescence" insured that American cars wouldn't get too far past 150 k. miles, if that. American cars were for suckers back then. Still are, as far as I'm concerned.
Maybe you should talk to some owners of American cars which passed the 150k mark? There a lot more of them out there than you think. It looks like you actually believe the stereotype out there ("American cars don't last longer than 10 years or 100,000 miles").

Why do you think the police and taxi cab owners use the Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis? It's because they need a reliable car that will last a lot of miles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 06:10 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
Virtually all US-made transmissions blow out well before 200k,
especially Fords. I can't speak for the ones made in the last
5 years or so, but Fords are notorious for tranny failure, all
70's, 80's, 90's models.
I had a 90's Ford Explorer and the only problem it didn't have was the transmission. Electrical problems-Yes. Moonroof leaks-Yes. Suspension problems-Yes. Engine problems were the last straw. Dealt with the nickel to death problems as they arose. The engine finally failed at 178k. But it lasted 12 years, so I think I got my moneys worth out of it. I've had friends who had the early 2000's version and they all had transmission problems before 120k. We used to use Ford Tauruses as commuter vehicles and the only engine related problems they had were alternator and A/C. Past that they were both going strong engine wise (electrical parts failing was its PITA) past 250k with heavy I95 driving and minimal maintanence.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:59 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,497,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Friend you are asking the wrong folks if you want specific answers.Best to google up "high millage problems with ford explorer" You will see pages of things people with these cars have faced.
I was away for the weekend. Sorry.

The OP will be getting rid of that Exploder before the timing chains come due at 150,000 miles. That or OP is a glutton for punishment.

I really wanted to upgrade from my '94 Ranger when it started running on three cylinders, but even the Ranger forum I was in couldn't give me a good answer about the newer four and five speed automatics and I know the newer SOHC 4.0L v6 wasn't my choice of punishment, so I went F150 instead.

Anyway, you get a vehicle to 200k by usually not having it loaded full of fancy electronic crap. Taking care of it is fine and dandy, but there's plenty of junk (air suspension, electronic AC systems, et al) that will rot no matter what you do. Ignorance is not bliss. My '03 F150? Not even power locks and windows, pushrod v6. Of course, I plan on chasing work out of town this next year, so I will have to bite my lip on the next truck I choose.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:11 AM

838 posts, read 2,524,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post
Anyway, you get a vehicle to 200k by usually not having it loaded full of fancy electronic crap. Taking care of it is fine and dandy, but there's plenty of junk (air suspension, electronic AC systems, et al) that will rot no matter what you do. Ignorance is not bliss. My '03 F150? Not even power locks and windows, pushrod v6. Of course, I plan on chasing work out of town this next year, so I will have to bite my lip on the next truck I choose.
I used to think the same thing, but things have gotten better over the years. My wife's '02 Explorer has every option except a V8. The msrp was almost $40k when it was new.

The OP asked about getting their '04 Explorer to 200k, I think it's a roll of the dice, there is no guarantee that it will or will not get there. My wife's '02 Explorer got there with minimal maintenance, but I don't think that is very common.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:11 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Maybe you should talk to some owners of American cars which passed the 150k mark? There a lot more of them out there than you think. It looks like you actually believe the stereotype out there ("American cars don't last longer than 10 years or 100,000 miles").

Why do you think the police and taxi cab owners use the Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis? It's because they need a reliable car that will last a lot of miles.

My mom has a 98 lincoln continental with the 32 valve V8 in it that has 178,000 on it. No problems what so ever with it. She drives that car on the interstate at 85 MPH+ all day long.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you get a vehicle to the 200K-mile mark?-moms-car.jpg  

Old 12-30-2012, 09:37 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfredB1979 View Post

I really wanted to upgrade from my '94 Ranger when it started running on three cylinders, but even the Ranger forum I was in couldn't give me a good answer about the newer four and five speed automatics and I know the newer SOHC 4.0L v6 wasn't my choice of punishment, so I went F150 instead.

I was never a fan of the 4.0 myself when Ford dumped the 5.0 into the Explorer that's the engine of choice for that vehicle.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:06 AM

10 posts, read 67,632 times
I had a 2000 Honda Accord that I drove for 183,000 miles before I sold it.

Old 12-30-2012, 10:46 AM

774 posts, read 2,601,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I drive a paid-for 2004 Explorer with 97K miles. I really like it and wouldn't mind driving it for at least another 50K or more.

I hear people talk about their cars and how they fixed "this, this and this and drove it for a hundred thousand more miles."

I am wondering what are typical 100K-mile repairs, and what can you reasonably expect to do to a Ford Explorer to make it last.

This car has been on several long road trips but we don't plan to do that anymore. Now I mostly drive in a suburban setting in HOT summers and moderate winters.

We recently replaced the rear differential and two hub bearings.

In the past month it is having weird electrical problems that can't be properly diagnosed. While driving, the radio shuts off, the indicators on the gauges drop all at once, and it starts making a high-pitched whine when I accelerate. We replaced the alternator, then it started doing the same thing.

Dealership says it's a bad alternator that is "overcharging" the battery in idle. Local reputable mechanic who installed the (bad) alternator and is diagnosing it today says if he can't figure it out we need to take it to some other place he named that specializes in electrical work, like a neurosurgeon for a car.

In short, we have been having it towed between the dealer and the local mechanic, and I'm getting fed up.

I do not want another car note if I can help it. If this is something that can be diagnosed and repaired, should we keep or just go ahead and trade in?

This really depends on the specific car and where you live.. If you lived in the snow belt I would tell you that there is no way you're going to get the explorer to 200K as the body and frame will literally rot away from rust. If you are in a dry area then it's easier but older Fords are not known for their reliability.

If you were talking about a newer foreign car then most of the time 200K is simply a matter of changing fluids on time and doing schedules maintenance. Run synthetic oil and change it every 5K. Do the trans every 30K. Brakes and belts when needed. At 100K you typically do a timing belt, tensioner and maybe the water pump if it's behind the cover like most new cars. Look at all the steering and driveline components about once a year to make sure nothing is loose or broken and you should easily make 200 or even 300K without an issue.

Old 12-30-2012, 07:26 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,978,848 times
My mother has a Ford Contour with 190K on it, and I'm driving an Oldsmobile with 207K. As far as I'm concerned, a car *should* last 200K with proper care.

My previous car was a Mazda that I put 253K on. The heater core leaked and the radio speakers were going out, but it ran and I sold it to someone who got more use out of it.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:33 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,807,497 times
I'm approaching 130K on my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. Other than slight body damage caused by my kid getting a fender bender, this vehicle has been great. It needed some warranty repairs a few years back, but that's it. Still runs and shifts like new. I have no doubt it will easily make it beyond 200K miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive