U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 07:21 PM

102 posts, read 247,352 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of buying this car, going to look at it tomorrow.A semi red flag that i see is that it was registered as a commercial vehicle. Also, the second owner didn't keep it very long.Of choose the dealer says it's in perfect condition.Here is the Carfax:

CARFAX Vehicle History Report for this 2005 LEXUS RX 330

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2012, 07:36 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,449,358 times
I don't know much but personally I would stay away from vehicles that have been used "commercially".

Old 12-27-2012, 08:41 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
28,382 posts, read 50,562,503 times
Used commercially can be bad or not. If it was a rental car some states require that to be disclosed, and they are to be avoided since people drive them to death. It could be that someone registered it commercially to use for showing homes (realtor) or perhaps just for
a tax deduction in commuting to their business. I'd be more concerned that it was sold at auction, while still not that old and with low mileage. Most dealers taking a nice trade will
sell it themselves. Perhaps it was repo'd and the bank auctioned it?

Old 12-27-2012, 09:40 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,630,498 times
It's a Lexus, so the commercial part of it wouldn't bother me too much if the car appears to check out otherwise. The website of the original seller/services is listed on the history, you could always give them a call and see if they have any records.

How much are you paying for this?

Old 12-27-2012, 09:59 PM

9,815 posts, read 13,883,984 times
Twas a fleet vehicle that came out of 3 year lease, picked by some guy for short time and resold.
Hence commercial use>personal>personal.
It was sold at the all American chop state - Georgia, and that's the biggest red flag to me. There are known areas in the country that you simply do not buy cars from, like Portland or Vancouver WA. Thosе are known rebuild places. Lynnwood WA is another one, I bet every state has some and same.
GA is known dealers "2nd hand" store due to huge auctions of fleet/lease vehicles for sale to dealers only. Couple of buddies here with dealer license also go there for "shopping". Many small corner "dealerships" pasture in those places.

Personally, I'd pass. Too many miles.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:06 PM

The dealer is asking $12,900 for it. I'd, of course, try to negotiate. If everything checks out on site, I planned on taking it a trusted family friend/experienced mechanic to check it out prior to purchasing.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:15 PM

5,162 posts, read 10,472,822 times
If the interior looks very clean, then what kind of commercial use was it used for ?
I really doubt if it was used as a delivery van ...

Old 12-27-2012, 10:25 PM

26,833 posts, read 57,830,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhHey! View Post
A semi red flag that i see is that it was registered as a commercial vehicle.
Also, the second owner didn't keep it very long.
Not "semi" ...those are major.

Look for one owner cars... followed by long owned cars with ZERO accident history
miles and miles per year are less important than they used to be

Old 12-27-2012, 11:01 PM

10,868 posts, read 41,128,193 times
All of the information in the CARFAX report is totally superfluous. In short, it's meaningless window dressing for a prospect. It's meaningless how many owners it's had; you cannot know at this time what the circumstances of their ownership and useage was. You don't know their financial situation or why they parted company with the car. Allegations that the car may have been a rebuilt vehicle are, absent an inspection, just that ... unfounded allegations with which you need not waste any time upon.

The ONLY thing that counts at this point is the vehicle itself.

If you don't know how to do a thorough pre-buy inspection of the vehicle, then take it to an independent tech who is knowledgeable about these cars and pay to have it checked out. If you can't do that for any reason, then the only basis you have to purchase this car is cosmetic appearance and price; is that enough information for you to make an informed buy decision or not?

The only thing you are buying is the remaining service life of the vehicle. The service records are helpful in determining if the vehicle has a good outlook, but they don't substitute for the vehicle inspection.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:14 AM

Thanks for the input. I'm going to check it out/test drive tomorrow. If that checks out, and the dealer doesn't give off super sketchy vibes, I'll take it to my mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive