Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 08:21 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,752,157 times

Advertisements

There is a particular road by where I work and every time I've driven down it some old person putzes out of their driveway with out paying much attention to traffic, then when they get going they take their precious time getting up to the 45mph speed limit.
Also people that are easily bored with driving. Example the guy who has to read the paper while on his way to work, or the lady who has to read a book. I even saw it once when granny whipped out he knitting at a red light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 08:27 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,479,506 times
*Any distracted driver. Usually the cell phone is involved.

*People who pace me in my blind spots.

*Anybody who stoops to the idiot drivers level, such as brake checking or speeding up to stop a pass. (let the police do the policing)

*People who dont use turn signals.

*People who are afraid to enter the intersection on a left yield.

*Drivers who will stop traffic to make a left or right from the middle lanes. Quite common out here.

*People who just dont pay attention or care that they are holding up cars, even if they are doing the speed limit.

*Many, not all, bicyclists who think they own the road. I'm happy to share, but dont hold up traffic for miles. Not wave us to pass on double yellow lines on a hill.

*Anyone in Jersey, GA that slows for the only speed bump in that town. ITS SMALL, go 30, I promise, you will barely feel it.

*People who flick cigarettes out the window. I dont like your hot butts hitting my car.

*Rolling road blocks. Most of the people doing this dont even seem to notice they are. What they really dont know is how friggin dangerous that is.

*People who dont turn off their high beams. I swear, somebody is getting punched for not doing this someday.

*People who flip others off for accident maneuvers. It was an accident!

*In general, anyone who is not courteous.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:01 AM

4,208 posts, read 3,758,240 times
blackhemi, I like the speed bump comment. I thought I was the only one that didnt slow down for them. People dont realize that it is smoother to continue your current speed going over them given you are going the speed limit. They are not there to slow you down but to keep your speed in check. I am referring to the low wide ones you occassionally see in town. Just love slowing to 5mph behind someone in an SUV to crawl over them..ugh...

Old 01-03-2013, 09:47 AM

19,023 posts, read 27,585,087 times
ha-ha-ha... I opened Pandora box...

Headlights.. Well, xenon and HIDs need to be banned, as they straight blind oncoming drivers. Plus, dongs that had them installed themselves, are also "smart" enough to tweak then "for longer distance visibility", basically - they are set higher and in YOUR face. Btw, have you noticed a new trend - one headlight dead, and one has THE BRIGHTEST bulb available on the market? Usually, also, the more it's a beater, the brighter the headlights.
But those are peanuts, as Audi started installing LASER headlights on their vehicles. Guess, we'll all be driving in welder goggles soon.

Moving roadblocks.. I worked in a state, no name, where here's how they drive in their interstates: 2 lanes, left lane speed is 60 (that's SL there) and right next to that vehicle, in the right lane, fella is going 59.5. Worked there for over a year, and basically that's normal state on their interstates. Funny enough, every time I met same state license plate in a different state - they do the same. Get into left lane and drive at speed limit.

Truck combinations in left, passing lane. Going speed limit. As they have speed recorders.

Dump trucks on fwy, NOT having payload covered. Esp the gravel one. Half a mile behind, you start getting that machine gun chatter on your hood.

SPEEDING trucks and truck combination. Damn, idiot, you driving a 40 ton deadly weapon, have at least some common sense.

A widely observed habit. Look at the heads of drivers in front of you, caught by the red light. First thing that happens - head turns down and to the right, and they start re-arranging their vehicle. Or working. Or whatever else. Missing green of course. It's a national itch. Gods, it's red light! I have to check on my presentation!!

Another wide habit is: gas pumps. Esp at those that have good price and a line waiting for dispenser to clear. So fellow driver fills up, removes dispenser nozzle, KNOWS very well, there are 2-3 cars waiting behind to fuel up, gets in his vehicle, starts the engine - and gets on the phone, or checks on some paperwork, or does something else, sitting in place blocking dispenser. Saw those?

Oh, and folks - most of those described in this thread, are based on simple - WE DON'T GIVE A YOU KNOW WHAT ABOUT OTHERS attitude. Comes with years of being conditioned that "you are very important person and the world spins around you". Dude, you work at Walmart and drive old Taurus. Get reality check.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:26 AM

76 posts, read 137,654 times
Tailgating is bad out here, and even worse when the sheriffs deputies do the same thing because they somehow have gotten used to it too(?).

Back when I was driving my company truck, governed at 65 mph, it never ceased to amaze me how many four wheelers would set their cruise control at 65 mph and then become oblivious to any and all other traffic, as if they were the only people on the road.

Seriously, if someone is passing you on the freeway, you become part of the equation until they have passed and are a safe distance ahead of you. If you ignore the situation or use your vehicle as a block (for which the offending driver should be hung and flogged for several hours) you are endangering yourself and others needlessly. A bit of common courtesy and giving way goes a LONG way toward getting everyone home safely.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:31 AM

219 posts, read 658,109 times
- No signals

- Distracted driving

- Driving too fast through town and parking lots

The latter really irks me. I don't care if you go 60,65,70, in a 55 if it's a back country road. But for the love of God, when you come up to a town where it drops to 20-30. SLOW DOWN. This is really becoming a problem here with trucks avoiding tolls and taking the backroads. Poor little towns where kids used to be able to play catch in the street now have crazed 9-5ers and rigs blowing by constantly. But I digress.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:44 AM

2,636 posts, read 7,430,245 times
There is very busy intersection 1/4 of a mile away from my office. There is a 2 lane road in each direction crossing a road with 2 right hand turnings lanes into it, plus 2 lanes to left turn. The right hand turning (which is the way to my office) does not allow turning on red, which a ton of people do. I am in the furhter left turpasning right lane and it drives me nuts. Also, just past where the turn is, on the left is an enterance to a highway and people in the right lane do not look pay attention when they try moving over to the left to get on the highway.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:45 AM

24,476 posts, read 17,220,223 times
What irritates me is people driving too fast like they own the road with no courtesy towards anyone else.
The biggest pet peeve is people not using their indicators. It is not that hard people! Use em.
Also when I'm being courteous waiting for a oncoming car to pass before I pull out in front of it to take my left hand turn and the loser goes and takes a right hand turn with no signal. He see me there waiting for him and he doesn't use his signal. Thanks you jerk.
The world would be a happier place if people used their indicators.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:37 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,822,902 times
Oh good - a chance to vent! I live in Los Angeles and see the following everytime I drive:
Stop signs are treated as a "suggestion" at best - drivers in my neighborhood routinely run stop signs. If you sound the horn you often times get the bird in return.
Right turn on red - ok here (unless otherwise posted) but too often the driver will go ahead and make the right turn, after stopping, directly into your path! Apparently they belive they only have to stop for the red light, after that, they have the right of way.
Driving without headlights when it is pitch black dark - I see young and old doing this as well as parents with their children in the car. I've no foggy reason as to why people do this - and includes freeways!
As mentioned before - no idea what that stick is on the left side of the steering column which many people have identified as the turn signal activator.....
Stopping dead center of the street to "visit", hang out or just cause they be cool and can make you stop and nuthin' you gonna do about it - except they don't know I have an air horn capable of 140 + decibles.
Pulling out of driveways, alleys, etc. directly into your path.
Blasting through red lights with horn blaring.
Tailgating at night with lights on highbeam.
I could get started about pedestrian/bicyclist behavior but that's for another thread!

Old 01-03-2013, 12:36 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Tied 'tween tailgating & texting.

Telephoning (is) the third (most) threateining typical turdhead twist.

I like Ts today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive